Just another reminder to replace your brake lines

MotoCammy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It’s been said before and will likely be said again but if you haven’t already done so, go and order some replacement brake lines.

I bought a ‘98 R1100GS a few weeks ago and have been working my way through a few service and maintenance jobs since it had not been used much in the past 10 years. However, when taking it for a run at the weekend I lost my rear brake completely. On further inspection it was quite obvious that the hose had broken up internally and blocked the pipe - one order of a full set of Goodridge hoses later and it’ll be up and running again soon.

Lots of others have said it on the forum but for anyone who has recently bought an 1100 / 1150 recently and it doesn’t have shiny new braided lines on it, I’d get them done asap. These bikes are 20+ years old now and if the hoses are original it really is a case of when, not if they give up.

Ride safe folks.

Cammy

Thanks for the tip, collecting an 1150 this weekend.

The top front brake hose on the 1100GS is notorious for actually popping/splitting as you brake, where the hose joins the solid junction/ferrule .. I’ve had two go on me in the past as I was braking .. posted warnings about it a few years ago. A good timely reminder from Motocammy :thumb

I replaced all my hose with goodridge a few wks ago; also new disc's brake caliper rebuild and pads; like you say mine were all original 1100 Gs from 1995 ; although there was no bulging or noticable damage; the brakes had started binding and were feeling spongey; it's not cheep; then neither is using the boot of a Ford Focus to stop whe a line pops like Steptoe says.

I replaced the front end of my 1100 rubber hoses with braided, but on advice at the time replaced the rear with a new original BMW original rubber hose apparently it gives a nicer feel to the pedal, the braided being such a short run gives a rock hard (wooden) pedal :nenau... that was 10 year ago and all working well, the rubber rear hose will outlast me(y)

I replaced the front end of my 1100 rubber hoses with braided, but on advice at the time replaced the rear with a new original BMW original rubber hose apparently it gives a nicer feel to the pedal, the braided being such a short run gives a rock hard (wooden) pedal :nenau... that was 10 year ago and all working well, the rubber rear hose will outlast me(y)
Funny you should say that; the front brakes are a bit better bur the rear is now pin sharp.

Funny you should say that; the front brakes are a bit better bur the rear is now pin sharp.
My 1150 Adventure, with servoectomy, already has braided hoses. Would the above explain why my rear brake suddenly seems to lock at the slightest application of pressure? It was fine last autumn.

Last edited:
My 1150 Adventure, with servoectomy, already has braided hoses. Would the above explain why my rear brake suddenly seems to lock at the slightest application of pressure? It was fine last autumn.
Sorry for the late reply; it could well be; saying that i would still have to brake hard to lock the rear wheel on mine; but the braided hose has made it far less spongy than it was; the last thing you want is light switch brakes.

Back
Top Bottom