Insurance woes

The fault with your theory of punishing bods who do not use security (or rewarding those that do) is that it does not work. That being said, it does (in a sense at least) get applied sometimes, when an insurer says, “No tracker, no insurance”. *

Bods will simply lie when making their proposal to the insurer. We see examples of that on these pages. They will tell the insurer it has XYZ, when either they don’t have it or they won’t use it each and every time but they’ll still get the discount. “But I only went away from the bike for five minutes, to buy a coffee and my bike was nicked” is a common cry. They even go as far as lying to the insurer as to where the bike is garaged, sometimes even shipping the bike out to their drum in Spain for months on end, when they told their insurer that their awesome steed was stabled in sleepy Devon. Or they’ll shift post codes, registering their bike at their mum’s address, “Cos it’s well cheaper, mate”. And, that’s before they start complaining and / or trying to pick holes in any pre-condition that the bike be garaged simply, when at home, between certain hours.

Many owners will cut corners, to cut costs but will gladly spank £300 on a trip to Hilltop, having already spent more on a noisy exhaust, rounding it off with £50 for a piece of bent aluminium to ‘protect’ their clutch reservoir, in case the bike falls over in Tesco’s car park. That is before they wrap the panniers in something. Anything else is just a rip-off, mate. Then they’ll proceed to debate with a bored chimp in a call centre, what a modification or alteration from standard is. Then, having wasted that hour or more of their life, they proceed to share their ‘experience’ here to bore everyone else rigid.
Yes all valid points, but I would agree it could be better than we have only it's more profitable not to bother.
Get it out of your head that any motor insurer or, much more likely, their bone idle agents (who you a probably engaging with, via the ‘Quote me cheap’ search engine) is going to spend hours updating their database for every latest device and gadget that gets a ‘Five star’ review from some bod, any more than they’ll take too much notice of some other review when some other bod says, “I opened this Five Star lock with a cocktail stick. It’s shite”.

You misunderstand me. The very insurance company/brooker in questions sells it's self as a "motorcycle friendly one stop shop affair" i.e. insurance, kit/clothing/training deals. It even test them including security devices, asks you to list them as you submit a quote, only not to recognise the very things they've tested! Just don't bother as you get nothing in any case, it's misleading at best conning people at worst.

Have you now given up on your plan to buy your new bike, with a showroom value of more than £20,000?

Nope, I pick it up next week. You was right I was talking to a 'pleb' during my first conversation. I chased them ref the question raised about the Stealth they said they couldn't add. I fact they can add it, he was a pleb, the second advisor managed to sort it. It still wasn't a seamless exercise, their systems are crap and the staff no little about the product, certainly can't think for themselves, paying levels of money and getting certain levels of ability springs to mind.

* The irony about trackers is that, many posters on this forum tell us that they wouldn’t want their baby found after a theft. The reason why? “Cos I don’t let no one ride me bike, other than me”. Some though will buy a secondhand bike, quite happily, as a new one is a rip-off.

You've lost me here fella?

IMHO, I actually don’t think that’s a bad price you’ve been quoted if I’ve fully understood your first post.

Yes, I agree I wasn't complaining about the price. Just the fact I couldn't get the insurance (at the time) because they couldn't attached the current model of Datatool Stealth tracker alarm. The Stealth has been out now for over a year and had replaced the system (Adventure) he said he could apply. This was wrong as the Stealth system does exist in their system, their incompetence just caused annoyance and wasted about 3 days!

What have you been quoted from BMW?

I was quoted £747 believe it or not. Getting on for almost £200 more.

Did you tell company that you 'had retired ' or 'were retired or were 'retiring'. Could be that if you stated you had retired you may be doing more miles and thus a greater risk even if you didn't tell them you would be doing more miles they may presume it.

It didn't make any difference, in my case working or not it was the same.

Yes, I agree I wasn't complaining about the price. Just the fact I couldn't get the insurance (at the time) because they couldn't attached the current model of Datatool Stealth tracker alarm. The Stealth has been out now for over a year and had replaced the system (Adventure) he said he could apply. This was wrong as the Stealth system does exist in their system, their incompetence just caused annoyance and wasted about 3 days!

I was quoted £747 believe it or not. Getting on for almost £200 more.
I feel your pain.

Have a look at this ….
regarding your location. It might give you some comfort.

I feel your pain.

Have a look at this ….
regarding your location. It might give you some comfort.
Useful information. That said and as stated earlier the cost £574 wasn't the issue, it was them insisting I couldn't use a current Datatool Stealth tracker only the obsolete Adventure which Datatool no longer manufactures.

I often refuse to tell the insurance what security I use, as previously chatting to reps, they have stated that if it was nicked and the item was not fitted then it would not be covered. the discount for that risk was not worth having. eg bike at home but not in garage as packing for trip away... not covered. bike parked while going into shop for sandwich and not locked... not covered unless the XYZ padlock was fitted.

Having dealt with a lot of insurance companies in my old job, I am fully aware that they are not your mate, or there to help you, just really there to make money for their shareholders, so be honest about what you have altered and decide if you want the risk for a couple of % discount if you are not using the said item religiously.

I often refuse to tell the insurance what security I use, as previously chatting to reps, they have stated that if it was nicked and the item was not fitted then it would not be covered. the discount for that risk was not worth having. eg bike at home but not in garage as packing for trip away... not covered. bike parked while going into shop for sandwich and not locked... not covered unless the XYZ padlock was fitted.

Having dealt with a lot of insurance companies in my old job, I am fully aware that they are not your mate, or there to help you, just really there to make money for their shareholders, so be honest about what you have altered and decide if you want the risk for a couple of % discount if you are not using the said item religiously.
Yes, you're correct as I've discovered, having XYZ security does nothing for your premium, just something they can use to refuse to pay out if they're not fitted an your bike is pinched! The tracker fitment sadly was the only way of getting insurance, with a new GSA and have anything other than 3rd party.

As I've since discovered this is now pretty much the norm with any bike beyond a certain value, north of 14k seems to be the cut off point at present. I suspect this will slowly reduce, in time all new stuff will no doubt require them. As you say insurance companies aren't your mates they are there to make money and as much as possible. Which is why they don't want to sort things out and just load the premiums those who do try their best to prevent theft, for those that don't, it's very profitable.

Just insured a 2022 Honda Goldwing which is worth North of £20000. and was getting quotes From compare the Market and OneCall for around the £331.00 mark.

Incidentally one of the £331 quotes was with Bennetts

Just insured a 2022 Honda Goldwing which is worth North of £20000. and was getting quotes From compare the Market and OneCall for around the £331.00 mark.
Single bike? I have also been told BMs are very sort after by the scumbags, there's a lot more of them than GW's so that will also have a bearing on what you pay and whether they insist on a tracker.

I was getting 340's for the BMW on it's own with no mention of a tracker. With my other bikes it was £574, both via comparison sites one being Compare the Market and direct on line with the given insurance brokers. The issue with the tracker started after trying to accept a quote, all wouldn't do it on line but asked you to call direct. The agent took me back through the quote and got the same results, when they tried to push it through up came the "not enough security" you need a tracker!

At no point before this was there any mention of the need to have a tracker, as mentioned I got quotes, the same as the agent did.

Out of interest if you go ahead or actually got insurance without any hike or tracker, let us know.

Yes I suppose it all come down to how easy a bike is to move to steal, and then how easy bike or parts are to move on.

Bennetts really are playing silly buggers.
I live in rural Aberdeenshire and have a new (April 2023) 1250GSA and a 2010 GT1300EE in the locked garage. Both have tracker, Stealth alarm, immobiliser, Datatag, Oxford Monster disclock. I've had my clean license since 1980, plus IAM and ride about 12,000 miles a year. I think I am personally a low risk, living in a low risk area.
Bennetts on line say that will be £1,454 with for both bikes fully comp' please! I rang them and go through everything in detail...is this an error? Yes, they say...it should be £1,534 with £850 excess.
My existing insurer, Cornmarket are quoting £545 inc. helmet & clothing cover, with total excess at £350. Not cheap, but fair. e-Sure for same cover is £475.
Go figure!

Be Moto were fine swapping bikes for me. Additional £80 to end of term, which annually came out about £100 more than a comparison site, but cancelling that would affect this years NCB, so for the sake of it, will judge the quote at renewal and push it down the road 5 months.

So after 3 years with Bennett’s I added a new GS in 2021, now they are saying ‘no quote’ ie they won’t insure me at all. Ducati 998 aprilia rsv 1000, 1250GS rallye TE, Ducati 888.

So it looks like I will have to insure the GS separately with my NCB and the other bikes with 0 NCB on a multi bike policy.

Bennetts really are playing silly buggers.
I live in rural Aberdeenshire and have a new (April 2023) 1250GSA and a 2010 GT1300EE in the locked garage. Both have tracker, Stealth alarm, immobiliser, Datatag, Oxford Monster disclock. I've had my clean license since 1980, plus IAM and ride about 12,000 miles a year. I think I am personally a low risk, living in a low risk area.
Bennetts on line say that will be £1,454 with for both bikes fully comp' please! I rang them and go through everything in detail...is this an error? Yes, they say...it should be £1,534 with £850 excess.
My existing insurer, Cornmarket are quoting £545 inc. helmet & clothing cover, with total excess at £350. Not cheap, but fair. e-Sure for same cover is £475.
Go figure!

Welcome to the world of the free market; insurers entering into the market or leaving and changing their minds about things. Nobody is obliged to insure your shiny new and no doubt truly awesome 1250 GSA and its sister, the GT1300EE, in their locked garage in Aberdeenshire or anywhere else, even if you regard yourself as low risk and are a fully paid up, Roadcraft bashing, member of the IAM. Just be thankful that two insurers were prepared to insure you, for less than the price of half a pint of beer a day and prepare yourself for next year.

So after 3 years with Bennett’s I added a new GS in 2021, now they are saying ‘no quote’ ie they won’t insure me at all. Ducati 998 aprilia rsv 1000, 1250GS rallye TE, Ducati 888.

Sometimes life, for a multi-bike owner, just ain’t fair. :comfort

The issue with trackers is they do not stop the vehicle from being stolen, most bikes are taken and stripped for parts, if they are recovered with no damage (keyless, burglary etc) then the bike is recorded and the owner will suffer a financial loss.

ps for UK insurance the bike that has the most claims........ BMW r gs and GSA as they are the most popular bike in the UK. hence insurers have put either price increases or max values on the bikes they insure.

Back
Top Bottom