How many security aids?

The Stimulator

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone in the insurance trade can give an idea about how underwriters handle security aids, and whether the devices have any priority when I’m looking for quotes. My new 1300 will have factory fitted alarm and immobiliser, tracker, a ground anchor and hefty chain as well as a disc lock and security markings. Short of sleeping in the garage with it, there’s not much else I can add

Consider how much discount each one will give and if it's worth declaring it. By which i mean if you declare that every night/day its chained to the anchor, on the one night it isn't and something happens what is the recourse/excess increase/amendment to you being covered or not?.

Most of that doesn't make it big difference, and is better for your peace of mind only.

As a "customer" fitting/using extra security like a tracker or using a ground anchor/disclock made little difference to the quotes I've had in the past (which was one of the reasons I didn't renew my subscription to the datatool stealth tracker BMW fitted to my 2018 GS) so unless they insist on a tracker etc personally I wouldn't declare it as it could then give them a cop out if your bike was nicked and you forgot to use said ground anchor/disclock etc.

Factory fitted alarm counts for nothing on my 1200 Hexhead as it's not Thatcham approved. Not sure if it's the same with the new BMW bike alarms. :nenau

If you declare all your removable security then all must be fitted everytime you leave the bike unattended...

My insurer, said declare what you fit / carry when your out day to day, they can only accept 2 security devices for a quote??

Just wondered if anyone in the insurance trade can give an idea about how underwriters handle security aids, and whether the devices have any priority when I’m looking for quotes. My new 1300 will have factory fitted alarm and immobiliser, tracker, a ground anchor and hefty chain as well as a disc lock and security markings. Short of sleeping in the garage with it, there’s not much else I can add

Just answer the questions asked of you truthfully. It needs to be no more complicated than that.

Just answer the questions asked of you truthfully. It needs to be no more complicated than that.
Only reason for asking Wapping, as was pointed out in an earlier reply is that insurance companies seem to consider a max of 2 devices when preparing a quote. It’s a simple enough question to ask here, someone might know. But yes, answering any questions truthfully when dealing with insurance is always a good idea.

Only reason for asking Wapping, as was pointed out in an earlier reply is that insurance companies seem to consider a max of 2 devices when preparing a quote. It’s a simple enough question to ask here, someone might know. But yes, answering any questions truthfully when dealing with insurance is always a good idea.

online forms tend to only have 2 security fields, one for a device like an alarm or chain and the other for a tagging system like Datatag. Part of this is making the process of getting a quote for the great unwashed as quick and simple as possible. They often have a big list of assumptions at the start of the quote process that nobody reads.

Have you tried getting a quote by phone or visiting a proper broker? Their quote systems might have the option to add additional devices.

online forms tend to only have 2 security fields, one for a device like an alarm or chain and the other for a tagging system like Datatag. Part of this is making the process of getting a quote for the great unwashed as quick and simple as possible. They often have a big list of assumptions at the start of the quote process that nobody reads.

Have you tried getting a quote by phone or visiting a proper broker? Their quote systems might have the option to add additional devices.
Yeah I have Wessie, and to be fair I was just wondering which of the various devices would give the best discount if the individual on the end worked through them all. I very much take the point made earlier about possibly declaring the ones that would be used all the time for example when you’re away. My post was more just out of interest.

Yeah I have Wessie, and to be fair I was just wondering which of the various devices would give the best discount if the individual on the end worked through them all. I very much take the point made earlier about possibly declaring the ones that would be used all the time for example when you’re away. My post was more just out of interest.

The more ‘stuff’ you declare, the more ‘stuff’ an insurance chimp has to chew over.

Concentrate on what they ask you. If you decide to tell the chimp that you chain your awesome to a ton of scrap steel, don’t them moan that the chimp then stuffs a condition into your policy which states that you have to do it.

It is often not so much of the discount applied that comes into play, but more that without (for example) a decent quality tracker being fitted, the insurer might refuse to insure you and / make make it a requirement that you fit one so before they issue the policy. Similarly, that the bike is a garaged, when at home, between the hours of X and Y.

Of course some bikermates with very expensive and theft prone motorbikes, see trackers as a rip-off and / or never want to see their baby back, as the scrotes will have defiled its virginity.

Last edited:
In my experience you get nothing for physical security. Only certain alarm/immobilisers and trackers with a current monitoring subscription. The latter becoming compulsory on new bikes and some older ones when renewing. General rule 18 - 20k plus value it's a tracker. Be careful when listening physical security, make sure you've actually got it and it's fitted or they'll use non fitment as an excuse not to pay out. Same applies to alarms/immobilisers and trackers.

In my experience you get nothing for physical security. Only certain alarm/immobilisers and trackers with a current monitoring subscription. The latter becoming compulsory on new bikes and some older ones when renewing. General rule 18 - 20k plus value it's a tracker. Be careful when listening physical security, make sure you've actually got it and it's fitted or they'll use non fitment as an excuse not to pay out. Same applies to alarms/immobilisers and trackers.

I think they would need to put any security condition about a lock, alarm, tracker or immobiliser in an endorsement on your policy schedule, like the very common endorsement about the bike being in a garage at home during certain hours.

It is very easy to use an alarm or tracker everywhere but if you declare a 20kg lock and chain such as those made by Pragmasis, is it practical to carry it everywhere? The policy schedule would need to be written to state when that measure must be used e.g. when at home in the garage would be reasonable. Parked in Starbucks car park, less so.

As said in my experience you get nothing eg discount for any form of physical security. I was also advised by a well known journalist, that anything you put down as physical security is covered in the small print. Don't fit it/use it and they find out they won't payout. That's the main reason it's on the form. If you put nothing for physical security your quote doesn't change, mine certainly didn't.

I think they would need to put any security condition about a lock, alarm, tracker or immobiliser in an endorsement on your policy schedule, like the very common endorsement about the bike being in a garage at home during certain hours.

It is very easy to use an alarm or tracker everywhere but if you declare a 20kg lock and chain such as those made by Pragmasis, is it practical to carry it everywhere? The policy schedule would need to be written to state when that measure must be used e.g. when at home in the garage would be reasonable. Parked in Starbucks car park, less so.

In one. It really is that simple.

Last edited:
Just renewed my insurance all the ones I got a quote from (6) weren't interested in bmw alarm.
I looked on the comparison sites when I was renewing my insurance in IIRC 2016/2017 as I had one on my 1st GS and it wasn't listed in any of their drop down menus. It's just a waste of over £200 IMO.

Back
Top Bottom