Is it more reliable than a Nav 6

Neil W

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My Nav 6 is being replaced BUT there will be a 6 to 8 week delay and I am doubtful if it's replacement will be any better , question is for those who own the Nav 5 units are they reliable and work as well as the older Zumo 660 ?

I just want it to work as a Sat Nav not ghost , switch itself off and on randomly and working with the whirly wheel is just a small benefit , to be honest I would just revert back to my old 660 but Garmin has made it so that it will no longer hold full European maps

My V came with the bike in Feb 2014. Well used and dropped a few times (stationary rather than at 70mph!).

It's worked perfectly throughout although than battery life is now short.

Battery is easy enough to replace looking for something reliable

But ludicrously expensive.

Direct from Garmin, £13.09 including postage (2 years ago).
Just ring them saying you want to buy a BMW NAV V/VI Replacement Battery 010-11274-22.

Had my BMW Nav V for years. Totally reliable, never put a foot (?) wrong.

Love it to bits :thumb

:beerjug:

I had a Nav V for years. No problems at all but I was beguiled by the wifi method of loading routes and bought an XT, selling my Nav V on here.

After less than two months the XT is back with Garmin as it has stopped working. It may be that the fault, as suggested by some, is down to files being corrupted during a map update, but the result still meant that I spent a week in Scotland without it.

I'm not saying the the XT is an unreliable model, I enjoyed using it whilst I could, and I think I'm pleased I bought it. I do regret selling the V however, but it's sale partly funded the new one

had both ....upgraded to the V1 from the V ....had issues with the V1 which was replaced under warranty twice, so I sold it and bought a used V again..still got it use it a lot on the bike or in the car ....its a better model in my opinion.

Yep looks like a Nav 5 is the way forward ???????

Nav V is brilliant, just the screen is not as good as the newer navs.

However it’s not a bad screen, just not brilliant in direct sunlight.

Direct from Garmin, £13.09 including postage (2 years ago).
Just ring them saying you want to buy a BMW NAV V/VI Replacement Battery 010-11274-22.

Nope - I did just that last year. They refused to sell me a battery.

BMW would sell one, from memory £65 +vat.

On our fleet bikes, we have Nav V and VI. The V screen is hard to see and too small compared to the VI and my XT. But I need glasses to read, so if you have 20/20 vision you will probably be ok. I must admit, I had a V for years before I bought a VI and was fine, then the VI started ghosting and I had a replacement, which I sold for an XT. Much prefer the XT and have had zero issues with mine for a couple of years.

Nope - I did just that last year. They refused to sell me a battery.

BMW would sell one, from memory £65 +vat.

A friend of mine bought one from them just a few months ago, I suppose it depends who you get to speak to. :nenau

I bought 2 batteries from Garmin direct, for my V, no problems. One kept as a spare. Have both the V and now the VI. Too early to say what the VI is like in comparison but I always found the V pretty reliable.

Back
Top Bottom