My Nav 6 has gained self determination.

Pete M

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After four and a half years of trouble free Nav 6 ownership the unit has this week finally thrown in the towel. The screen changes on its own without any input from the user, this is a pain in the arse and it's also distracting.
I can't really complain, it's thrown a couple of wobbllies now and again but on the whole it's been very good.

I have looked after it fastidiously as it was a birthday prezzie from the wife, cleaning the screen with IPA and a micro cloth or at the very least running it under the tap and drying with a micro cloth.

So my options?

GPS Station, has anyone used these guys, what's the service like?

Try and get a new unit from Garmin, I know that seems a bit rich after four and a half years but as the thing isn't mechanical and has no moving parts and we paid £700 for it back in August 2019 I think it's worth a punt.

I have stated in my email to Garmin that a replacement is justified as we paid a premium price for the unit and despite that, the unit seems to be constructed of inferior components and (or) the unit is of inferior build quality and design.

I await their response.....

If anyone else has any other options bar buying a new sat nav your input would be greatly appreciated!

Cleaning it with beer (IPA) probably hasn’t helped. My Zumo 660 is well over 10 years old and is still working correctly. Is the Nav 6 the 660 or a later Garmin?

A couple of ‘wobblies’ before you say. Was the screen doing what it’s doing now or a different gremlin?

Talk nicely to Garmin, swap for a new NAV6 "CAP" version they only came to market on 1st Dec and supposedly fix the old NAV6 gremlins

Reactions: HGS
The device is well out of warranty, irrespective of it having no moving parts. In that regard it is no different to your electric kettle or TV.

Me? I’d start by contacting Garmin. Why? There is a very well accepted realisation that two versions (we are now on the third) of the BMW branded Navigator Six has regular and serious problems. Garmin might, as a goodwill measure only, exchange it for you, though they might charge a fee, after so long a period. Try them, it costs nothing to ask. I would definitely go down that route before looking at possible alternative repairs.

Be patient though, as Garmin are playing catch-up with customers’ exchanges of malfunctioning devices within warranty. Not unreasonably, they come first.

Reactions: HGS
Give Garmin UK customer service a call, get on the list
0808 238 0000
I'm in the process....waiting for the next batch of Cap screen devices to come into stock

After four and a half years of trouble free Nav 6 ownership the unit has this week finally thrown in the towel. The screen changes on its own without any input from the user, this is a pain in the arse and it's also distracting.
I can't really complain, it's thrown a couple of wobbllies now and again but on the whole it's been very good.

I have looked after it fastidiously as it was a birthday prezzie from the wife, cleaning the screen with IPA and a micro cloth or at the very least running it under the tap and drying with a micro cloth.

So my options?

GPS Station, has anyone used these guys, what's the service like?

Try and get a new unit from Garmin, I know that seems a bit rich after four and a half years but as the thing isn't mechanical and has no moving parts and we paid £700 for it back in August 2019 I think it's worth a punt.

I have stated in my email to Garmin that a replacement is justified as we paid a premium price for the unit and despite that, the unit seems to be constructed of inferior components and (or) the unit is of inferior build quality and design.

I await their response.....

If anyone else has any other options bar buying a new sat nav your input would be greatly appreciated!
Check out my post here and do the same is my advice...

Why phone? Why email?
Just go to the Garmin site, go to support centre in the menu and complete the very short information they require. Serial number is under the battery with the bar code.

English consumer law states that items should continue to function for up to 6 years.

English consumer law states that items should continue to function for up to 6 years.
However the person with the issue has to prove the fault is not down to misuse of the product or general wear and tear after 6 months.

However the person with the issue has to prove the fault is not down to misuse of the product or general wear and tear after 6 months.
Pah!
What sort of GSer are you, coming up with stuff and nonsense like that!
More seriously, just use the Garmin site to create email and get one of those RMS thingies, they will get you a replacement very shortly after you return it to them (they are not getting hot under the collar because there are so many and so will just change it based upon your original request - doubtless BMW will pick up the bill).
My 2017 worked perfectly until the week before 2022`s big trip - three more since then, and not full of confidence that the current item in use since Oct 2023 will last much longer.

Back
Top Bottom