It amazes me that Google has not linked its Google mymaps app with Google maps

Mzokk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It amazes me that Google has not linked its Google mymaps app with Google maps so that you could follow a pre determined route even if it was via their proprietary KMZ or KML format. Folks have been asking for it since Google maps and Android auto were available. Nice to have on this bike.

=========]

I arranged to have this post and its subsequent thread, cut from the Royal Enfield section, not least as doing so kept Arsey’s original post and thread ‘On topic’. It is a good debate and better off here in the GPS sun-section.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
It amazes me that Google has not linked its Google mymaps app with Google maps so that you could follow a pre determined route even if it was via their proprietary KMZ or KML format. Folks have been asking for it since Google maps and Android auto were available. Nice to have on this bike.
You can link the two in Android, look in your saved location and click on maps at the bottom. You may have to add your mymaps account if they're not the same. We used this recently in Colombia.

Yip I'm aware of that, but you can't have Google maps route you along the route you have plotted in google Mymaps unless there is a start-finish and no alternative roads.

You can, if you import the KML file into basecamp or Myroute planner, look at it as a track and convert it to a route (but you might as well do it in your route editor of choice).

You can after a fashion route along your Mymaps route using the method below. But it involves prodding the via points on your mymaps route and having google maps route you to each point sequentially but google maps still selects the roads and you have to stop to prod your mymaps map.

But it is a faff and not practical for motorcycle navigation IMHO.

Google maps itself allows 10 stops to be plotted between the start and finish of a route but chooses the roads you use for you. That said if google finally alows you to follow a mymaps like a gpx file it will be curtains for stand alone GPS devices and GPX creating routing tools.

Yip I'm aware of that, but you can't have Google maps route you along the route you have plotted in google Mymaps unless there is a start-finish and no alternative roads.

You can, if you import the KML file into basecamp or Myroute planner, look at it as a track and convert it to a route (but you might as well do it in your route editor of choice).

You can after a fashion route along your Mymaps route using the method below. But it involves prodding the via points on your mymaps route and having google maps route you to each point sequentially but google maps still selects the roads and you have to stop to prod your mymaps map.

But it is a faff and not practical for motorcycle navigation IMHO.

Google maps itself allows 10 stops to be plotted between the start and finish of a route but chooses the roads you use for you. That said if google finally alows you to follow a mymaps like a gpx file it will be curtains for stand alone GPS devices and GPX creating routing tools.
I think you moved the goal posts there, you can save a route to mymaps and display it on Google maps as a route to follow on a moving map. What it won't do as I think you're saying is plan that route and give you a turn by turn instruction, I don't think it would ever do that on an offroad route as the potential data for every junction would be huge
Here's a screen shot of a gpx converted to kml and saved in my maps displayed on Google maps on Android phone. It doesnt give turn by turn but does display a moving map.
Screenshot_20231116_132815_Maps.jpg
Subject needs a separate thread.

Nope, I think i was resonably clear "Google has not linked its Google mymaps app with Google maps so that you could follow a pre determined route" and I did not mention off road at all.

So for example if you have a route like this.
Screenshot_20231116-151346.png

Screenshot_20231116-152311.png

The only option is to route to the first point on the mymaps map and subsequently route to the remainder of the points in sequence which requires you to restart navigation. So google mymaps is not linked to google maps to allow you to follow a pre-determined route. I use mymaps to share and edit routes with friends who don't have access to GPX software. I use google maps to route A to B in the car and sometimes on the bike. Its very good for this as it will route according to live traffic conditions and road closures.

Could a mod move the last five posts on Google maps to the GPS section please.

========

All done, Richard

So what stops you just following that purple line when you get to the start of your route.
If you want turn by turn navigation of a GPX route take a look at Gaia GPS, I believe that it uses google maps data.
If it's a fully google recognised roads route just create it in google maps and drag the route to suit.

Don't get me wrong I like google maps for A-B routing which it is perfect for and use it in my car and Africa twin. I use Basecamp/MRA for creating routes and Garmin Zumo XT and Zumo 390/340 for routing GPX files which are better for my use case, lots of back roads with lots of turns and a propensity to route round towns rather than through them. So far I think that dedicated GPS units are better than phones for navigation. I use OSMand as a backup for the Zumo XT on the Africa Twin as it also runs on Android Auto. I prefer to listen for directions than have to look repeatedly at a screen to navigate. If using google mymaps as a dumb line suits you thats fine. My original point was and it was raised by the tester is that google maps cannot follow a GPX and it seems odd that they (google) don't make routes created in Mymaps turn by turn routable. I'm currently evaluating "Tourstart" an online Route creation tool with an on-offline phone based navigation app. The report on this should appear in the GPS section shortly.

Yes it's definitely odd that the two don't work together properly but both were useful in South America recently.
I'm probably more a paper map or roadbook reader than satnav listener, in fact I never hear the satnav so turn it off and glance at the screen.
Recent use of Gaia GPS has been interesting as it can give turn by turn instruction which was useful heading to hotels the last hour in the dark, Garmin Montana just confused me, but that's probably me just liking North up rather route up unless it's a motorcycle race GPS route.

Interestingly from the RE perspective is that Google Maps has a seperate motorcycle routing option in India and some Asian countries, it may be, that the Europen models will land with a different satnav option.

I'll look forward to your Tourstart review.

An interesting debate. Thank you both and thank you for the illustrative pictures, to back the words up.

Garmin Montana just confused me, but that's probably me just liking North up rather route up unless it's a motorcycle race GPS route.

You can have either north up or track up on any of the Montana’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can have either north up or track up on any of the Montana’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It wasn't my Montana so didn't want to go touching Mr Coles things, I think it may have had a fault as well because the screen went dark when on charge after sunset. I'm to old to learn new things :) and I like to follow a line rather than the eye in the sky graphic.

I hate when they make a statement but don't explain why...this is from the indroduction page of mymaps. I have a feeling its simply down to keeping google maps 'simple' as its mostly used by car drivers going from A-B.
Screenshot 2023-12-03 052636.png

I hate when they make a statement but don't explain why...this is from the indroduction page of mymaps. I have a feeling its simply down to keeping google maps 'simple' as its mostly used by car drivers going from A-B.
View attachment 294745
But you can use it on your phones browser, or least you can on the Chrome app.

Thats not Android though, as in google maps app/Android auto
What's the difference, it works the same as on a pc, did the old app enable offline use? Android auto and Google maps are two separate apps.

What's the difference, it works the same as on a pc, did the old app enable offline use? Android auto and Google maps are two separate apps.
I think you should be asking Google as to why.....a browser that takes you to a website is not the same as a dedicated app

I think you should be asking Google as to why.....a browser that takes you to a website is not the same as a dedicated app
I didn't need to know as I can't tell the difference but I've asked for you.
What happened to google Mymaps Android app

Are there differences between the My Maps Android app and My Maps on the web?
You can do all the same things on My Maps on the web that you did on the My Maps Android app.

I didn't need to know as I can't tell the difference but I've asked for you.
What happened to google Mymaps Android app

Are there differences between the My Maps Android app and My Maps on the web?
You can do all the same things on My Maps on the web that you did on the My Maps Android app.
Apps and Websites are two different things....some Apps just open a web browser as that's the lazy way but a dedicated app is completely different coding and will have more or less features as the web version.

Same as many of the same apps that are on Apple are very different to what's on Android.

An App is literally its own program

It's probably down to time and money as is most of the time with software

Back
Top Bottom