Italy - Switzerland - France - route questions and hotels

matgriff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm planning a tour for me & the wife, starting in Mid May...... I'm thinking that we'll go to Italy (maybe Turin) before going up to the Como/Lake Garda area for 4-5 days.

I'm then planning to come back from Lake Garda to Belfort France.....

I've planned a basic route avoiding motorways, but I'm not sure of the best route(s) to cross from Italy over Switzerland to get towards Belfort.

Has anyone got any experience of good routes for this area ? It should be the latter part of May by the time we get towards Italy, so I guess the weather should be reasonable for riding in the Alps area ? but I've not done this region previously, so any advice for route planning is and good places to stay are welcome.

The exact schedule is not fixed, I planning to just find some places on booking.com a day or so before arrival, that way if we get delayed or get bad weather we can change plans on the fly.

I'm planning to do no more than 200 miles per day for most of the time apart from maybe the odd day or two.

Thanks

Mat

=====

I have moved and edited this post, breaking up and simplifying your original post.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
In essence you are asking for:

a. A route or routes from (maybe) Turin to Como/Lake Garda, then thro' Switzerland to Belfort, France.

b. Hotels in (maybe) Turin, Como/Lake Garda, in Switzerland and then in Belfort.

c. People to be really flexible when suggesting things, in case the weather is bad in May.

Last edited:
No sweat.

It's dead easy to do. I just pumped a few places into Kurviger, set the algorithm to 'twisties' but not extreme twisties. It did the rest in seconds.

This thread will hopefully, help you further:

Just a warning shot, last year I travelled to Tuscany in May with a bunch of mates, we wanted to do the Nufeneen pass but it was still closed......in my experience you need to check once you are there... good luck.
If you are around lake Como and want a lovely location at a decent price: https://lakecomohostel.com/ place is run by bike enthusiast who are usually very accommodating. Sometimes they organize BBQ's and the place is right by the lake. Not posh but clean....

Back
Top Bottom