France-Italy (Lyon to (maybe) Turin route questions and hotels

matgriff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm planning a tour for me & the wife, starting in Mid May. We plan to head down to the Chunnel, cross to France, ride down to the Le Mans area for a stop over, then head to Tuzie (near Limoges) to stay with my sister for a few days. After that we'll head east to Lacelle for a couple of days to stay with friends, from there we'll head towards Lyon for a night. After that I'm thinking that we'll go to Italy (maybe Turin).....

I've planned a basic route avoiding motorways, but I'm not sure of the best route(s) to cross from France (Lyon) into Italy (maybe, Turin).

Has anyone got any experience of good routes for this area ? It should be the latter part of May by the time we get towards Italy, so I guess the weather should be reasonable for riding in the Alps area ? but I've not done this region previously, so any advice for route planning is and good places to stay are welcome.

The exact schedule is not fixed, I planning to just find some places on booking.com a day or so before arrival, that way if we get delayed or get bad weather we can change plans on the fly.

I'm planning to do no more than 200 miles per day for most of the time apart from maybe the odd day or two.

We have around 18 days for the whole trip.

Thanks

Mat

=====

I have moved this into the French section. I have also edited and amended your post and its title to hopefully make it simpler for them to understand.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
In essence you are asking for:

a. A route or routes from Lyon to (maybe) Turin.

b. Hotels in (maybe) Turin.

c. People to be really flexible when suggesting things, in case the weather is bad in May.

I can only respond to the weather question in May in the Alps.
As it has been largely discussed in any other similar thread in here: expect anything.

Regarding crossing from Lyon to Turin, there is an abundance of mountain passes in the area.
You can almost ride randomly around and be sure to be on a nice route.

On interesting route I did a few years ago was through Valloire.

Glandon, Croix de Fer, Galibier, then into Italy via Pinerolo and towards Susa. You can then proceed onto Turin (purple route).

turin-sus.png

Last edited:
Late May can be lovely around the Italian lakes but the temperature soon drops at altitude. We had mid 20s in Limone sul Garda but drove (we did a fly-drive from Verona) up to Madonna di Campiglio where it was sunny but 4C. We were quite happy to be in the rental car!

Some of the high alpine passes on the France/Italy border and in Switzerland will not open until mid June so any plans need to be flexible.

In essence you are asking for:

a. A route or routes from Lyon to (maybe) Turin.

b. Hotels in (maybe) Turin.

c. People to be really flexible when suggesting things, in case the weather is bad in May.

Hi, thanks for the response.

I guess I'm looking for a recommended route from the Lyon area into Italy, Turin is a possible, but after that we will spend 4-5 days in the Como/Lake Garda area. Edited....

Actually, should have mentioned, I'm flexible on locations & timings, we will have 18 days for the whole trip. I plan on using booking.com a day before to book hotels in the area that we think we will be in the same evening etc.

Thanks

=======

I have set you up a separate post and thread for the second part of your adventure. It keeps things simpler.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Late May can be lovely around the Italian lakes but the temperature soon drops at altitude. We had mid 20s in Limone sul Garda but drove (we did a fly-drive from Verona) up to Madonna di Campiglio where it was sunny but 4C. We were quite happy to be in the rental car!

Some of the high alpine passes on the France/Italy border and in Switzerland will not open until mid June so any plans need to be flexible.

Thanks for the reply. I don't have any experience of riding in this area, so any tips or recommendations are welcome :)

With booking.com, in May you easily book same day if you are not super fussy with the stay. It shouldn't be super full of people.
I normally book the hotel around lunchtime and based on where I am and how much more I want to ride for that day.

I can only respond to the weather question in May in the Alps.
As it has been largely discussed in any other similar thread in here: expect anything.

Regarding crossing from Lyon to Turin, there is an abundance of mountain passes in the area.
You can almost ride randomly around and be sure to be on a nice route.

On interesting route I did a few years ago was through Valloire.

Glandon, Croix de Fer, Galibier, then into Italy via Pinerolo and towards Susa. You can then proceed onto Turin (purple route).

turin-sus.png

With booking.com, in May you easily book same day if you are not super fussy with the stay. It shouldn't be super full of people.
I normally book the hotel around lunchtime and based on where I am and how much more I want to ride for that day.
Yes, that's my plan. Thanks

It's pretty much a waste of time people suggesting hotels, as they (and least of all you) have no idea where you'll likely be.
Yes that's fine. General areas/route suggestions are welcome. I will deal with the hotels as and when I get to any specific areas. Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I don't have any experience of riding in this area, so any tips or recommendations are welcome :)

Of the places we visited around the lakes, Malcesine on Garda was a favourite. We used a passenger ferry to get there from our base in Limone. If I returned, I would base myself there as it was nicer than Limone. There's a cable car up to Monte Baldo which is well worth the trip if you have a clear day.
lake-garda-is-easily.jpg

photo from https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra...aldo-Malcesine_Province_of_Verona_Veneto.html

Of the places we visited around the lakes, Malcesine on Garda was a favourite. We used a passenger ferry to get there from our base in Limone. If I returned, I would base myself there as it was nicer than Limone. There's a cable car up to Monte Baldo which is well worth the trip if you have a clear day.
lake-garda-is-easily.jpg

photo from https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra...aldo-Malcesine_Province_of_Verona_Veneto.html
Thanks, yes Malcesine is where we plan to stay in the Lake Garda area, it's been recommended by several friends and family :)

Thanks, yes Malcesine is where we plan to stay in the Lake Garda area, it's been recommended by several friends and family :)

I'd be tempted to prebook Malcesine a few days before as it is a very popular place. Leave it to the last minute and you might find the only room left is 1500 euros. Torbole at the northern end of the lake is nice as well - popular with the windsurfing crowd

I have done the same for your other thread.
Yes, thanks... I just need to understand a bit more detail on the tomtom app, I get two versions of the route when I open the .gpx file, one called "exact" and one called "fast" I need to read up about the differences :)

Yes, thanks... I just need to understand a bit more detail on the tomtom app, I get two versions of the route when I open the .gpx file, one called "exact" and one called "fast" I need to read up about the differences :)

The forum's dedicated GPS section will help you if you are stuck.

PS It is a very good idea to always check all routes, especially if they come from an unknown source, before you leave home. It's never great to find out how and if they work, when stood on the side of the road, miles from your PC..... and it's raining or boiling hot.

PS It is a very good idea to always check all routes, especially if they come from an unknown source, before you leave home. It's never great to find out how and if they work, when stood on the side of the road, miles from your PC..... and it's raining or boiling hot.

Where’s the adventure in that :D

Back
Top Bottom