K1300 GT

Nin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks

I need a cheap fast comfy sports tourer, and my eye is drawn to one of these.

Are they any good for a 6’3” solo rider?

Definitely got the "fast" part of your wishlist covered.

Sent by an Android

I've had a couple. 6ft tall. From memory can get bar risers/recliners to give a little extra adjustment if required. Left my pegs as standard.
Despite being a GT, they are still a little prone, and nowadays I prefer the full upright position of the RT.
Good bikes though.

Nice comfy Bikes "Continent eaters" do get a few problems with switches and Radiators.

are you still looking for one - I have a really nice well sorted one I could be tempted to sell

Attachments

• received_652032293018550.jpeg
    received_652032293018550.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 46
  • received_1036036317393189.jpeg
    received_1036036317393189.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 43
Thanks, that looks great and nice colour too!

Sorry I should have updated this to say that I have now got a very nice K1300GT courtesy of a member of this parish.

IMG_7374.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lovely bike.

Forgive the reminiscing but a few years ago I was out with a guy on a K1300GT (Terry Towler if that name rings a bell from Nottingham IAM) and I was really surprised at the acceleration, speed and handling of the bike as I couldnt pull away from him on my R6. Up to that point I had him & the bike in the 'old duffer' category. :)

The GT is a lovely bike. It does however have one weak point, which I understand is also shared with the K1600.

The radiator...

Located low in the frame it picks up dirt from the front wheel, and after a while the lower part clogs up, in spite og the tiny center shield.
At normal driving you do not notice it, but climbing a mountain pass behind a camper or queuing in the city, it will overheat.
The thing is, due to the slanted engine, the electrical cooling fan has to be positioned at the lower end of the radiator. When the radiator clogs up after a year or three, the fan will not be able to handle the slow pace.

I've had two of them, and I solved the issue by removing the radiator and flush it with a powerwasher (at reduced pressure). Doing this every 24 months kept the bike from overheating. Also, invest in a vacuum fill kit used to refil the system.

Some people claim you don't need it. Well, the chances are that there will be airpockets in the headn refilling, and this spot heat may wrap the head. A much more costly affair than buing a vacuum-fill kit...

Todays job. Put that

ec01b9ae55ea009b915ffc228e3186fb.jpg

In there

df3d3c3a70d84c2190a1471538c53aa4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well that was fun. All goes smoothly until the drive shaft has to be re-inserted into the gearbox. Cue 3 hrs of swearing.

Helpful tip - ignore the BMW service manual.

In the end it took seconds to fit - once I’d disconnected the rear shock linkage and worked the swing arm up to horizontal.

BTW outstanding service from Denz0, the shocks were serviced, new springs fitted and returned within a few days.

The GT is a lovely bike. It does however have one weak point, which I understand is also shared with the K1600.

The radiator...

Located low in the frame it picks up dirt from the front wheel, and after a while the lower part clogs up, in spite og the tiny center shield.
At normal driving you do not notice it, but climbing a mountain pass behind a camper or queuing in the city, it will overheat.
The thing is, due to the slanted engine, the electrical cooling fan has to be positioned at the lower end of the radiator. When the radiator clogs up after a year or three, the fan will not be able to handle the slow pace.

I've had two of them, and I solved the issue by removing the radiator and flush it with a powerwasher (at reduced pressure). Doing this every 24 months kept the bike from overheating. Also, invest in a vacuum fill kit used to refil the system.

Some people claim you don't need it. Well, the chances are that there will be airpockets in the headn refilling, and this spot heat may wrap the head. A much more costly affair than buing a vacuum-fill kit...

Thanks Knutk

A quick question: Do you use an AFXiED or similar mixture trim on yours? I’m thinking that might help a bit.

Good tip on the radiator - I use an air gun which means you dont have to remove it.

Cheers aye!

Back
Top Bottom