Kickstarters are ace

Just out of interest, does anyone know the technical background here? I'm guessing the 113 and 116 control units have some extra logic to add a generous slab of ignition retardation at sub-tickover engine speeds, but I'd be interested to know by how much and at what speed.

Richard,

The standard ignition module powers down to prevent the coil cooking if it doesn't see a pulse from the hall effect sensor (bean can). I did put a scope on one a couple of years ago but cannot remember how quickly it goes down but it's less than a second. The kickstart module keeps the power on the coil for a longer period of time to give you chance to kick it over.

There's no intelligence in the trigger unit it simply looks for a logic 0 from the hall sensor and fires the coil, the advance/retard is all handled by the mechanical unit in the bean can. when the engine turns for the first time the first pulse from the hall sensor "wakes" the trigger unit up and it powers up the coil. The second pulse causes the trigger to fire normally if it doesn't see a pulse within a fraction of a second it simply shuts down the power to the coil. Obviously while your fumbling with the awkward slow kickstart all you are doing is waking the unit up and it's shutting down again because you are not turning the engine over fast enough.

If you put a multimeter on the output to the coil you'll see how quickly it powers down.

The kickstart module keeps the power on the coil for a longer period of time to give you chance to kick it over.

Ah-ha, that makes sense. I knew about the quick time out to avoid coil frying on the standard setup (for some reason that stuck in my mind from when I was reading up on tech details after buying my first boxer), but I hadn't considered that a longer delay was the 'trick' with the kickstart modules. Very interesting. Thanks, Rob, I always enjoy those little nuggets of info.

Back
Top Bottom