KTM 890 SMT

TBH it will hit the mark with people not wanting a really tall bike that they cannot reach the floor with, nor a really small bike they have to contort themselves onto, nor a bike that costs the same as a half decent family car.

I personally would still be tempted to put my own cash into a late, low mileage and unmolested original - if such a thing actually existed.

I’m sure it will be discounted 6 months later, like they do with all there bikes.

I’m sure it will be discounted 6 months later, like they do with all there bikes.

If they turn up in one of KTM's fire sales I would be tempted, but they have not really been giving much away lately, got £3k off my 1290 a smidge over 4 years ago, seen nothing more than free tech packs since then, and with RRP going ballistic I doubt I will be buying another new bike for a while, probably just splash a bit of cash and TLC on one I have.

I’d have bought this sight unseen 5 years ago. Now I’m Captain Slow and looking at GS650s, singles or twins, or else a 690Duke. Light, small, economical and cheap.

TBH it will hit the mark with people not wanting a really tall bike that they cannot reach the floor with, nor a really small bike they have to contort themselves onto, nor a bike that costs the same as a half decent family car.

I personally would still be tempted to put my own cash into a late, low mileage and unmolested original - if such a thing actually existed.

I'm definitely hanging on to my 990SMT. It's mostly unmolested, done about 25k miles, and still makes me grin every ride. Will be interesting to see what the weight of the new one is, considering it's down on power by about 15bhp compared to the 990.

Brmm Brmm

e394ee12841750fb59ee5e7bb0da713b.webp

9e374230e74bcdfed96a692af568c48e.webp

Might look better in the flesh but I think it looks a tad shite.
Simply slapping on a pair of 17” wheels on to an 890 ADV does nothing for the ‘balance’ of the bike. Front end looks too tall IMHO

Rather on the lairey side, but quite a nice looking bike by KTM standards.

I would.

I remember sitting on the 990SMT at the bike show on launch and thinking how ‘Honda’ the riding position was in that it felt just right as soon as I sat on it. I was quite keen but couldn’t get a test ride on one so rode a 990ADV instead and didn’t get on with the engine / throttle , also it just didn’t seem to want hold a steady 30mph in 3rd you had to be in second. This new bike looks pretty good , a lot more like a ‘comfortable’ supermoto and that 890 engine is fab.

Brmm Brmm

Simply slapping on a pair of 17” wheels on to an 890 ADV does nothing for the ‘balance’ of the bike. Front end looks too tall IMHO

I think it looks pretty good , but you’re right about it looking slightly odd at the front . Maybe it’s the slope / angle ? It does look a bit like it’s on stilts and more like a supermoto than say an F900XR.

No mention in the blurb about the touring element of the bike,or have I missed something?
I'd be interested in a bike that'll take panniers or a topbox but not be as cumbersome as the Adventure, which I've already owned. Kinda like my Duke but with more touring potential

Back
Top Bottom