Lake District/Yorkshire Dales

Willie12

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, few of us are heading down through the lake District and the dales on way to the WSBK
At Donnington Park. Staying one night in the district and two in the dales,
Any must do roads/passes that we should definitely do?
TIA

It might help if you and your mates told people where you are all are staying for the one night and then two nights. That’ll save bods suggesting awesome roads, nowhere near where you’ll be taking in scran ‘n brew.

OK, so first thing, the Lakes will be mobbed in July... Chances of getting "good motorcycling" will be thin. The main honeypots of Ambleside, Keswick, Windermere and Grasmere will most likely be log jammed with cars and tourists anytime after 10am, and will remain so all day until evening.

The Dales less busy, fortunately, and the area makes fabulous motorcycling.

Obvious passes in the Dales area are Buttertubs (Kirkby Stephen via Thwaite to Hawes) and of course the Hartside Pass
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Clarkson says Buttertubs is one of his favourites https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/stunning-yorkshire-route-jeremy-clarkson-23816253 (it's a fab road, but not IMO the best motorcycle road) - Hartside is motorcycle heaven!

There are many more, and if you load a map, and look at Stanhope, Alston, Hawes, Leyburn, Kettlewell, Kirkby Lonsdale (Devil's bridge) you cannot go far wrong! Remember to get a piccie at Ribblehead Viaduct ;)

Some famous cafe's in the area for bikers, like Devil's Bridge, Filling Station in Keswick, Tea room in Hornby, The Nook (Alston https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100035421926540 ) , Manor Farm Cafe in Leyburn (also has a bike shop) plenty of options in Hawes.

Back to the Lakes, there are at least 5 passes if you can bear the logjam of cars (or do them early in the morning). There's a cycle route which takes them all in, called the Fred Witton - this route will give you good coverage of the main passes... https://fredwhittonchallenge.co.uk/route/ - there's a GPX file on this page too

In terms of accommodation, you may struggle in the honeypot towns (Ambleside, Keswick etc) so we've usually stayed in places like Carlisle, Penrith, Skipton, Harrogate, and used them as bases...

I live in the South of the area, and happy to help

Edit - also just found this https://www.adventurebikerider.com/discovering-yorkshire-dales/

Last edited:
Good,useful information Martin.
I’m there next week so will look at your suggestions!

I'll be annoying: Donington.

(I'm here for the route suggestions, planning a trip there later on)

As a side trip, it's nice to do a loop in the Forest of Bowland in between the Lakes & Dales. Usually, I do Bowland, then the Dales missing out the tourist infested Lakes. The road from the Trough of Bowland to Quernmore (in that direction) gives great views over Morecombe Bay. I am always amused riding from Bentham to Slaidburn when Moor Cock pops up on the satnav display. https://goo.gl/maps/4azKenVo3AeCEo4G9

The Tan Hill Inn is also worth a visit. Highest pub in British Isles... Good food if a bit pricey, but they also have accommodation, and live music every Thurs/Fri/Sat. I was there last weekend, a great band playing, excellent steak, and some good hand-pulled ales. I was in my camper van tho...
As it's on the Pennine Way route they have a range of accommodation from camping outside (free if you camp 100 metres away, tenner if you want to use their loo and shower), Bunkhouse, or proper B&B

I was up around the lakes a few weeks ago with a mate and we tried to do a lot of the roads. The roads south of Ambleside were a pain due to roadworks, traffic and coaches causing traffic jams, i'd stay clear. I'd definitely put honister pass on your list as that's well worth doing. i've done most of the dales and Pennines and there's some cracking roads. As has been said try and get buttertub in if you can. I've got umpteen routes i do around the Dales / Pennines and happy to share so you can take your pick if you let me know.

Buttertub, I am sure many people would like to see your routes. Can you upload them to something like Dropbox and share them here, please?

Buttertub, I am sure many people would like to see your routes. Can you upload them to something like Dropbox and share them here, please?
Hi, happy to do that but my technical skills are a bit limited. can you walk me through how i'd go about doing that ? i store all my routes on google my maps, is there a way i can get the links into dropbox ? (I i dont store them as gpx files as i constantly change and then use a converter when i've made final route decisions)

or as an alternative, i know how to copy and paste links to the routes so could i post them in this thread on here ? i dont want to clutter things up.

Cheers

Hi, happy to do that but my technical skills are a bit limited. can you walk me through how i'd go about doing that ? i store all my routes on google my maps, is there a way i can get the links into dropbox ? (I i dont store them as gpx files as i constantly change and then use a converter when i've made final route decisions)

or as an alternative, i know how to copy and paste links to the routes so could i post them in this thread on here ? i dont want to clutter things up.

Cheers

just post the links to the Google routes. People can then mix & match as needed

Willie12, You asked for help. Has any of this been of any interest or use to you and your mates?

Cheers

I have drooped you a PM, offering to (hopefully) do it for you.

This is the first of Buttertub’s routes.

Rather than clog this thread up, I’ll start a fresh one.

If it’s not displaying properly, tap on:

IMG_4067.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom