Levers

From another forum in the last 2 days......

I needed a pair of levers to tide me over until my pazzo's arrive next month. I went on to ebay and saw the below ones... I know they were "too cheap" but thought if its only quality a month with them should not be a problem... how wrong...

The fitment at first seemed fine and after fitting both levers I took it for some slow speed tests after bleeding and doing a general brake check, it all checked out fine. What I had failed to notice was the brake lever was very slightly pressing on the actuator and without the need for any adjustment (there is no grub screw in the back of the lever to allow free play) and the fact the brakes were free when not applied and gripping well when applied I decided to take it for a shakedown last night... this proved to almost be fatal... after about half a mile the brakes suddenly came on full lock on a roundabout almost causing me to lose control. as it was they were locked on so tight I had to get a driver to help me manhandle the bike to the side of the road and wait 30 mins for the fluid to cool and the expansion this caused to free off the brakes. It was then a very slow back brake only ride back to swap back to the old and worn carbon levers. I have had to take teh brakes apart to ensure nothing is damaged and completely flush the old cooked fluid out and replace the levers.

You'd know straight away on mine because you'd hear the servo running.

They're here... and to my electro/mechanical engineering eye, they appear to be milled from solid ....or they milled a mould from solid to create the subtle milling marks....but seriously these look like and feel like quality items...

:beerjug:

I have the same type on my bike bought from a nice GSer via this very website. They are a straight swap. Remove the pivot pin E clip pull the pin and remove lever from handlebar. Fit new lever and replace pin & clip. Job done, no fluid bleeding.

Why bother? They give a wider adjustment range than standard, in particular a shorter hand reach and they are pretty. To be honest the improvement is not huge, but as I did not pay full price it was worth the cost.

Just stuck them on eBay - Don't like how short the levers are.
I have the span adjusters on max on the OE levers anyway....bargain for someone.

:blast

i have those short cheap ones fitted for the past 30k Miles and they are just what they are,.......short adjustable levers for little money. When guys try to explain that they might brake i sometimes wonder how much power they have in two fingers that they think the levers could snap? :confused: even the Chinese don't work with materials that are so weak because it would probably damage the manufacturing Tools to often.

One drawback started to show the last few months, the little switch of the clutch lever that allows to start the engine when a gear is in but the clutch pulled does not always work. We checked with a new switch but the problem seems to be because the distance ist not exactly the same to press onto the switch. Will have to find a way to adjust the switch.

i would buy them again .

Back
Top Bottom