Might be asking the impossible, but.....

Spud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm looking for a square sleeping bag, for use in temperatures probably a low of around 5 degrees overnight, and also the warmer climes when abroad. I'd also like this to pack as small as possible to try and get all my camping gear in one pannier.
For information, it will be used in conjunction with an Exped 5 Downmat.
Any recommendations please, without breaking the bank too heavily ....
Many Thanks

Sent from my Lenovo TB128FU using Tapatalk

How’s about one of these? :nenau
Snugpak | Navigator | Durable square foot sleeping bag that can be used as a blanket https://amzn.eu/d/gCIYgh4
I have an old Snugpak Softie 10 that is still going strong after well over 20 years.
I also have two RAB ones that cost a hell of a lot more which I tend to use nowadays instead but they’re not rectangular ( I’m guessing this is what you meant by “square”?).
Snugpak make good sleeping bags. :thumb2
If you want a smaller pack size you’ll need to go down the Down route which will cost more.

Here’s a good looking Naturehike one. A bit more money but goose down so it’ll be a bit warmer. It comes in 2 sizes so if you’re a short arse you could get away with the Medium which has a smaller pack size. :thumb2
Naturehike 750FP Goose Down Sleeping Bag,Ultralight 910g Compact Lightweight Easy Carry It,4 Seasons,Large Space to Move Without Feeling Caged,With Compression Bag https://amzn.eu/d/1CDcIsM

Personally I always go for a warmer bag than you think you’ll need. Nothing worse than a cold nights sleep. Well, you don’t sleep, that’s the problem. Better to be too warm and open it up a bit too cool down than freeze yer nuts off.
Or you could take a sleeping bag liner. They can make a huge difference and pack down ultra small.

I’ll shut up now. :blast Sorry. :D

I've got one of these for non winter camping, very light, small and warm. Look around for a deal.

Whatever you choose don’t expect a sleeping bag rated at 5c to be comfortably warm at 5c because it won’t be.

Most bags are given 3 ratings which generally speaking are comfort temperature, limit temperature and extreme temperature and the extreme one will be for a fully clothed adult male. Only the buyer knows how much they feel the cold but for 5c temperatures as an absolute low plus use in generally warmer climes I’d be buying a 2 season down bag and wear a T shirt if it’s cold at night.

As for getting everything in one pannier, if I’m trying to do that then the Exped mat stays at home because I’ve got mats that I think are equally as comfortable and take up 25% of the space.

I've got one of these for non winter camping, very light, small and warm. Look around for a deal.

Nice but not a square / rectangular one.

I've never found a pannier sized sleeping bag that's warm enough.... well on my budget anyway.

The Rab 1100 that Udders owns is a brilliant bag, but expect to pack it on your rear seat, its a sacrifice worth making though.
ive camped in Glenco when it hit subzero temps in a sleeping bag not up to the task, it was horrendous!
I ended up putting all my bike gear on and lying in the toilets i was desperate. Never again!
Id rather have a bag that's 20c too warm and have to unzip slightly than freeze

You may have to compromise on space, but its worth it.

I’ve now added a Rab Neutrino 400 Wide to the collection! :D 800 fill. Fantastic bag but a 3 season one. VERY packable. :thumb2

I've never found a pannier sized sleeping bag that's warm enough.... well on my budget anyway.

The Rab 1100 that Udders owns is a brilliant bag, but expect to pack it on your rear seat, its a sacrifice worth making though.
ive camped in Glenco when it hit subzero temps in a sleeping bag not up to the task, it was horrendous!
I ended up putting all my bike gear on and lying in the toilets i was desperate. Never again!
Id rather have a bag that's 20c too warm and have to unzip slightly than freeze

You may have to compromise on space, but its worth it.

I gave up trying to fit all my camping gear into a fixed pannier and opted to use a 40l roll top waterproof bag strapped on the back. I can get tent, sleeping bag, mat, chair, tarp and a stove in there and not be worrying about getting cold.

I gave up trying to fit all my camping gear into a fixed pannier and opted to use a 40l roll top waterproof bag strapped on the back. I can get tent, sleeping bag, mat, chair, tarp and a stove in there and not be worrying about getting cold.
Exactly this.
I bought a Lomo roll up bag, in fact i have 3 different sizes.
they're perfect, keep everything together and held down with Rok straps 👍

Exactly this.
I bought a Lomo roll up bag, in fact i have 3 different sizes.
they're perfect, keep everything together and held down with Rok straps 👍
My Lomo bag strapped to my bike back in 2011. Still have it and the bike! :clap
I have a bigger black one too now, different panniers and don’t use the tank bag anymore.
IMG_0150.jpeg

For my couple of months away in Spain and France, I did the same.

Last edited:
Took me a minute to work that one out! :blast :D

• Wow
Reactions: Doc
It’s because he obviously edited his text after you quoted it. It only appears in your quote.

I've a Nordisk Tension Brick 400, weird name, but rectangular, hydrophobic down, it's zipped right the way around so can be used as a quilt or switched to left or right opening as the hood iis velcroed on so reversible. Excellent bit of kit

Thanks for all the replies guys. Plenty of info to be going at there (y)

Back
Top Bottom