Morocco, yet again

I love this pic....it's just a classic situation everyone who's ever been over there will know !! :D:thumb2

Incoming!!! :D

P4110259.jpg

Bon Bon , Stilo, Bon Bon , Stilo, bless them!

Oo now that's a hard one....probably worth exploring in another thread but although I've done it (we took thousands of little gifts, balloons pens etc out to Africa on the first one in the vintage Landies a few years ago.....I wouldn't do it again and we advise customers against it on the Moto Morocco tours.

It encourages begging- that can't be good :(

If you go through a village that's very rarely visited, they come and greet you and are really interested in you, the bike etc and just want to say hello...it's very obvious when you go through a place that sees lots of foreigners 'cos they immediately start asking for money, bon-bons, stylos etc- the rush to get to the bikes can even be quite dangerous sometimes ! :(

We now tend to say hello and don't give them anything, unless it's just a tic tac to break the ice or something- as soon as it's settled down a bit, you can have a good chat, sit them on the bike , take a pic and thrill them by showing them their own pic etc.

The exceptions are when we're really high up or in the really isolated places where some aspirin etc is greatly appreciated and needed- or even a t shirt or something, and the culture there is more about helping someone and sharing rather than charity (we've had people sharing food and water with us so it just feels right that way)

JMHO :)

All good advice in my opinion. I found it very hard when I was there.

My favourite encounters with the kids though was spending time haggling for items of fruit, getting a deal and then paying their original price - we were talking a few pence in real terms and seeing their faces.

It was hard, but I just had to say no to straight begging, but a 'trade" was always welcome.

Back
Top Bottom