MRA Shaping routes - imports seem to only bring in start and end waypoints

Wapping

Reaction score
MRA imports seem to only bring in start and end waypoints

How so?

Routes I create in MyRoute for export to my XT (previously Nav’s V and VI) import:

The start and end points, they are a gimme, without them there is nothing

Any intermediate via or waypoints (hands) I created

I think, that in version 1.1 MyRoute will also display the little blue dots of shaping points, though I cannot remember if that is so.

================

I have created a fresh post and thread for this question.

Richard

Last edited:
How so?

Routes I create in MyRoute for export to my XT (previously Nav’s V and VI) import:

The start and end points, they are a gimme, without them there is nothing

Any intermediate via or waypoints (hands) I created

I think, that in version 1.1 MyRoute will also display the little blue dots of shaping points, though I cannot remember if that is so.

Maybe the terminology is wrong.

I create a route in MRA, with a start and end point, and see what the route looks like. If it doesn’t go where I want it to I add waypoints (these always add at the end of the route, for some reason) and move them in the waypoint list down the left to put them in the right order. Once the route looks correct, I usually expand the waypoints, then send the route to the XT.

On the XT, viewing the trip in trip planner, only the start and and points are shown, none of the added waypoints are evident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I create a route in MRA, with a start and end point, and see what the route looks like. If it doesn’t go where I want it to I add waypoints (these always add at the end of the route, for some reason) and move them in the waypoint list down the left to put them in the right order. Once the route looks correct, I usually expand the waypoints, then send the route to the XT.

On the XT, viewing the trip in trip planner, only the start and and points are shown, none of the added waypoints are evident.

Are you adding Shaping Points (blue dot) or Waypoints (hand) ?

A shaping point can be turned into a waypoint by clicking on it. :thumb

See below where I've made some waypoints - these come out as flags when it's transfered to the Zumo XT

Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 18.27.12.png

Last edited:
Are you adding Shaping Points (blue dot) or Waypoints (hand) ?

A shaping point can be turned into a waypoint by clicking on it. :thumb

See below where I've made some waypoints - these come out as flags when it's transfered to the Zumo XT

View attachment 284416

Waypoints (hand) mostly, but I turn some to shaping points.

I never get those flags either.

I think I see the problem, Berin. Try this instead, please.

1. Create an A to B route. By default, MyRoute displays the two points as hands, which are numbered: Point A (start) is number 1 and point B (end) is number 2.

2. You can shape this simple A to B route in one of two ways:

i. I guess you are using the ‘Place waypoint’ tool?

IMG_4454.jpeg

Using this method will add a point at the end of the route by default, in effect giving you a new end point B, numbered 3. As you say, you then have to re-order these manually. In essence, this method is only of any real use if you build a route in stages, starting from A then proceeding, road by road, until you reach your final destination.

Instead, try this second method. Here is an example, using my iPad.

ii. Click and hold (or give a sharp tap) on the black line of the route, near enough where you want to shape it. I find that there is a bit of a knack to this, or at least there is using my iPad. A dialogue box will pop-up, asking if you wish to rename this new point. Name it if you want to.

IMG_4455.jpg

Click OK

A shaping point will be created at that point, It will be numbered 2. In other words it falls not at the end but between point 1 (start) and what is now point 3 (end)

IMG_4456.jpeg

Drag point 2 to the road you which to take. Again, you’ll see an option to re-name it if you want to. The route will then reshape.

IMG_4457.jpg

If you then open up your list of waypoints, you’ll see it there, in its correct point 2, shown as a tear drop shaping point. No more manual re-ordering required. All sing, Alleluia!

IMG_4458.jpeg

You can then change the shapoing point into a hand via point, if you want to. Or just leave it as a shaping point.

IMG_4459.jpeg

Repeat as necessary, until the entire route is shaped to follow the roads you want it to follow.

Note:

1. Using 1.2 to transfer to your XT, should show every ’hand’ as a flag on the XT.

2. Each flag should show as a choice of possible destination(s), when you first fire up the route on your XT.

3. There is a bit of a knack to shaping any A to B route. I generally start roughly in the middle of the route to place my first shaped point. That being said, in reality, it’s no different to shaping an A to B route in BaseCamp.

Last edited:
I think I see the problem, Berin. Try this instead, please.

1. Create an A to B route. By default, MyRoute displays the two points as hands, which are numbered: Point A (start) is number 1 and point B (end) is number 2.

2. You can shape this simple A to B route in one of two ways:

i. I guess you are using the ‘Place waypoint’ tool?

View attachment 284463

Using this method will add a point at the end of the route by default, in effect giving you a new end point B, numbered 3. As you say, you then have to re-order these manually. In essence, this method is only of any real use if you build a route in stages, starting from A then proceeding, road by road, until you reach your final destination.

Instead, try this second method. Here is an example, using my iPad.

ii. Click and hold (or give a sharp tap) on the black line of the route, near enough where you want to shape it. I find that there is a bit of a knack to this, or at least there is using my iPad. A dialogue box will pop-up, asking if you wish to rename this new point. Name it if you want to.

View attachment 284464

Click OK

A shaping point will be created at that point, It will be numbered 2. In other words it falls not at the end but between point 1 (start) and what is now point 3 (end)

View attachment 284465

Drag point 2 to the road you which to take. Again, you’ll see an option to re-name it if you want to. The route will then reshape.

View attachment 284466

If you then open up your list of waypoints, you’ll see it there, in its correct point 2, shown as a tear drop shaping point. No more manual re-ordering required. All sing, Alleluia!

View attachment 284467

You can then change the shapoing point into a hand via point, if you want to. Or just leave it as a shaping point.

View attachment 284469

Repeat as necessary, until the entire route is shaped to follow the roads you want it to follow.

Note:

1. Using 1.2 to transfer to your XT, should show every ’hand’ as a flag on the XT.

2. Each flag should show as a choice of possible destination(s), when you first fire up the route on your XT.

3. There is a bit of a knack to shaping any A to B route. I generally start roughly in the middle of the route to place my first shaped point. That being said, in reality, it’s no different to shaping an A to B route in BaseCamp.

Exactly right, Wapping, I’m using “place waypoint”!

The second method sounds much more like the “rubber banding” that Basecamp does, and much better for modifying a route. I shall try it immediately!

To save me messing, can you use an Apple Pencil for this?

Yes, you can use an Apple pencil.

Here’s what started as my example two point route, drraged about using a pencil, rather than my finger:

IMG_4473.jpg

When you carry out method 2 on a PC or Mac, a plus sign appears on the route, which becomes a shaping point. On an iPad the plus sign sometimes vanishes very quickly, the point where the pencil touches is simply magnified instead, A pencil though is sometimes a more efficient method than a finger, especially when dragging the shaping point around.

The good thing is that, once a shaping point has been created, you can drag it around as often as you like. For example:

IMG_4474.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve messed, and it works very well with an Apple Pencil.

Now, if you can tell me a way to multi-select waypoints/viapoints (for example to change a batch to shaping points) I’ll be very happy.

Thanks Wapping. Every day’s a school day.

I think Apple Pencil use is a bit buggy, as you say it sometimes just magnifies the + point and then gets stuck in an iPad cut/copy/paste menu. But more precise than a fat digit.

I’ve messed, and it works very well with an Apple Pencil.

Now, if you can tell me a way to multi-select waypoints/viapoints (for example to change a batch to shaping points) I’ll be very happy.

I’m afraid I don’t know of any way to select multiple points for simultaneous conversion. I am though not quite sure why you’d want to. Most points will always be shaping points, whilst the few via-points which most bespoke routes contain, can be converted individually when the route is first created snd the via-point inserted.

I’m afraid I don’t know of any way to select multiple points for simultaneous conversion. I am though not quite sure why you’d want to. Most points will always be shaping points, whilst the few via-points which most bespoke routes contain, can be converted individually when the route is first created snd the via-point inserted.

Fair point.

Back
Top Bottom