Navigator V battery replacement

SilverSurferToo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,
It looks like the battery on my Navigator V is getting tired so having read various old threads I dropped Garmin support an email to see if I could get a replacement. I was somewhat bemused to get the response below after they told me my device was too old and batteries were not available and I had responded that I was surprised by this ....

Thank you for your email;
I do understand your disappointment, however,
This device is not designed to have a user replaceable battery therefore I cannot order on for you.
If this is something that you are looking to purchase, I would recommend speaking with BMW.

Otherwise it would be a case of purchasing a new device
https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/c/automotive/motorcycle-gps-navigation/

Kind regards,

I'll forgive the grammar and spelling errors, but ... the battery is not user replaceable? I've suggested that "Jo" is thinking of a different device since you need to remove said battery to insert the micro-SD card ....

I guess I'll just speak to my local BMW dealer after all but I thought you might want to know that Garmin are being (far) less helpful than previously reported.

Try ringing Garmin, depending on who you speak to you'll get your battery for about £13, especially if you use the part number listed on another thread on here.

I replaced my battery some time ago because I thought it was not holding a charge very long if out of the cradle. The new one wasn't any better to be honest. Approx about half a hour at most and it it was getting very low

I take it you actually turn the unit off after removing from your bike and don’t just leave it in sleep mode as my pal was doing. Now he turns off completely his battery lasts weeks without a charge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try ringing Garmin, depending on who you speak to you'll get your battery for about £13, especially if you use the part number listed on another thread on here.
I followed the technical support breadcrumb trail but that only takes me to the same form I filled in before and started the thread with "Jo".
The only number I've seen is +44 (0) 23 8052 4000 ... I guess only way I'll find out if that's right is to use it.

Thanks @ShakeyBMW for the part number.

Well, Thomas was a little more helpful in that he went and checked and they have no stock ... but he also said that they did not sell them direct to the public. 🤔
I must have been wearing the wrong shoes ....

As I say, it depends who you talk too. Try again in a few weeks. I had no problem getting one a couple of years ago, then last year people were reporting on here that Garmin would not sell them to the public, yet earlier this year a pal of mine manage to get one from Garmin.
Someone on these forums also reported success in getting one in the last 2 or 3 weeks.

As I say, it depends who you talk too. Try again in a few weeks. I had no problem getting one a couple of years ago, then last year people were reporting on here that Garmin would not sell them to the public, yet earlier this year a pal of mine manage to get one from Garmin.
Someone on these forums also reported success in getting one in the last 2 or 3 weeks.
Well...I think that was me. I had no problem ordering one but have just contacted Garmin to find out where it is, given that it was about three weeks ago... Only to be told that there's a stock problem.... They're expecting them in stock in October! ... Well, at least it was only £13... I'll update you in November if it arrives

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Called Garmin this week and apparently none in stock and no plans to have in the future. There should be a ‘law’ which ensures they produce parts for ‘years’ after a product change.

I found this
Battery for sale
in typical BMW fashion you need to sell an organ to buy it.

However i found what looks to be the same battery HERE cheaper. (still more expensive than i expected?)
the seller is a real shop I've visited many times.

Called Garmin this week and apparently none in stock and no plans to have in the future. There should be a ‘law’ which ensures they produce parts for ‘years’ after a product change.

There should be a law for all sorts of things, according to UKGSer and (naturally enough) absolutely complete enforcement and compliance *. I doubt if the battery for a niche GPS device comes very high up the UK legislative agenda.

On a brighter note, the much despised EU has obliged Apple to bring their products’ charging points up to a uniform EU standard and, of course, brought in all sorts of legislation around the ‘repairability’ and easier servicing of multiple household appliances.

* Except of course for the laws they don’t like.

Last edited:
Have you tried walking into a BMW parts dept and ordering the part from them? as opposed to Garmin?

I bought two from Garmin 18 months ago, then when people were also being told "they won't sell to the public". I called their European head office customer services number and had two batteries supplied, under £35 total, including shipping, within a week. Things may of course have changed since then but the Zumo battery spec is the same and you can still buy those.

I ordered one from Garmin 3/5/23 and was told they were in stock at the time of ordering.
A few days later got an email saying they were back ordered and it would be early June.
June comes and another email saying it will now be early October.
October comes and another email saying it will now be February...
I can see where this is going.

Back
Top Bottom