Newbie alert from a long time closet GSer

hobble

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

greetings from Ireland from a long time lurker at the GS forums. I have been on various bikes since 2003 and have owned an RD07A Africa Twin, 3 Suzuki V-Stroms 650-1000 and lately a BMW K75 RT. I was real close buying a 12 GSA back when they were new in 2006 but went for a Suzuki instead back then. Before the K75 I almost bought a very high mile corroded 2008 GS, and now in 2021/22 after many months deciding between an Africa Twin, Tenere 700, KTM 790/890 I just put a deposit down for a 2012 R1200 GS Rallye which I always had a soft spot after seeing one back when they were new and shiny. It just felt so right on the test drive, indicators and all due to the 'RT'. There is just over 30k miles (52k km) on her. I had already decided that should I go for a GS that a TC oil head was the weapon of choice as opposed to an early LC. I was seriously bored with the V-Stroms and owning an almost 30 y.o. RT has been a refreshing experience and I'm hoping the Rallye has an interesting soul hiding under that fancy colour scheme. The motor feels very exiting compared to the triple on my other bike anyway.

Looking forward collecting my new to me steed and have already started planning for some mods like a LED headlight upgrade. Also, although well minded the bike in typical Irish fashion doesn't have any service or other docs so the first check will be to see the condition of final drive oil and the driveshaft. I do have a word that it had a single owner for 6 years in the past and was fully looked after by an independent with a good name here, so am not expecting a can of worms sort of situation here, but let's not jump ahead of the program here. Apart from some light corrosion on the final drive the paintwork and other bits are really good. It should be a relatively easy task to return this bike to closing on a mint condition.

Welcome along to the nut house..... Don't take anything personally, some idiots will try to get under your skin but we're a good bunch really!

Thank you for a great welcome everybody. The life on two wheels is too much fun to take things and problems too seriously. We are all individuals with histories etc etc. Really looking forward to see what the year has to offer come spring and summer.

Welcome hobble.

I would budget for a suspension service/upgrade before LED headlight. Good suspension makes or breaks this bike IMO.

Back
Top Bottom