No Start : Relay, Clutch Swutch, Stand Switch, WTF ?

Magwych

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have sadky not had an ipportunity to play eith my 2008MU GSA fir a very long time. I had replaced the dead battery and kept it fully charged.
Press the starter and there is nothing other than faint click from somewhere in the region of the ZFE. The dash does not dim and the starter solenoid makes no click.
6 months ago it was fine sfter replacing the fuel strip, I put it away and now this. I susoect a relay, although I can hear a faint click, no power is going to the starter motor solenoid.
So, is there only one relay? If so, can anyone point me to where it is ?

On the '08 MU models its under the fuel tank, ISTR its near the cable splitter box for the throttles.

On the '08 MU models its under the fuel tank, ISTR its near the cable splitter box for the throttles.
Thanks
Do you recall if it is a standard automotive relay, or have BMW been awkward buggers .
I know that I could, in theory, just lift the tank and look. Circumstances are a bit tight at the moment, the bike has to move outside for a while, the workshop is flooded abd the only sensible places to put the bike are uphill on water-logged clay - an engine would be really useful. I have to put it to one side for a short while though to deal with other priorities.
"It never rains, but it pours"

Thanks
Do you recall if it is a standard automotive relay, or have BMW been awkward buggers .
I know that I could, in theory, just lift the tank and look. Circumstances are a bit tight at the moment, the bike has to move outside for a while, the workshop is flooded abd the only sensible places to put the bike are uphill on water-logged clay - an engine would be really useful. I have to put it to one side for a short while though to deal with other priorities.
"It never rains, but it pours"
You could use parts finder https://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?kind=M&arch=0

To see what the part is then use Motorworks website to look at cost (they also sell second hand parts)

It is a standard automotive relay , available at Halfords etc..
The relay next to it under the tank is the spot light relay and they are interchangeable which is handy for swapping to test.
To start the bike so that you can use it, jump the starter with an old screwdriver battery lead to spade terminal on the starter solenoid.

What a bastard it is to get at !
It dud nit help that I had recently filled the tank, making it a tad heavier...
Then the ZFE needs to come out, then the housing for the ZFE to get at the relays on the back of the housing. The housing is a multi-fold plastic assembly that clips together, and fjexes onto its 2 mounting points. It did not help that it is still bleeding cold here, so the 25 year old plastic is reluctant to flex.
I swapped the fog light relay for the starter relay, and niw the starter does what it should.
The relay is a simple NO automotive micro-relay, Form A. BMW have theirs supplied by Tyco, who add a couple of superfluous lugs on the moulded case.
I have ordered a Panasonic CM1A12, 35A relay from RS for next working day delivery at €9.50
RS are much quicker than our local BMW part suppliers. It is also cheaper, cutting out several intermediaries in the supply chain.

1000006087.jpg

The new Panasonic/NAIS relays. They are physically a little smaller than the original Tyco units, but the terminals are identically sized and spaced. They do not have the little lugs on the side, nor a moulded channel for an extractor tool.
None of which makes the blindest difference to how they work. Note that these relays are sealed, there is a layer of potting conpound to cover the joint between the 2 parts of the case.
The Panasonic part number and the RS product code can be seen on the white envelope underneath the relay 😉
1000006155.jpg

Attachments

• 1000006156.jpg
    1000006156.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 5
The loom looks like it's in good condition! In fact it all looks very clean in there!

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
I did a full strip down at 140,000 miles, back in 2015. Frame , engine cases and gearbox cases powder coated, new pistons and rings, bew bearings throughout engine and gearbox, bew camchaina and sliders, etc etc.
I used it for 2 more years, since when it has just sat in one of our barns. Bat shit is corrosive on the flexible swing arm bellows !
I am just getting it sorted after the long lay up to sell...

Back
Top Bottom