Not a motorcycle (and hardly a trip) but….

Wapping

Reaction score
…. I decided to try out my newly converted electric Brompton, by riding it from Wapping, up to the Olympic Park, which is about 4.5 miles away.

As much as anything I like to look at the barges and boats that are moored up and wonder how long some have all but rotted there. If I won the lottery, it would be great to rescue one and have it fully restored, with all the modern bells and whistles.

This was where the two dogs were shot last weekend. The event has caused a lot of ill feeling in the immediate area.

IMG_2100.jpeg

Bow Locks, where the River Lee Navigation, divides from Bow Creek

IMG_2103.jpeg

IMG_2105.jpeg

IMG_2104.jpeg

I guess these two got their tub going eventually

IMG_2107.jpeg

Looking back towards Bow Locks

IMG_2110.jpeg

It’s easy to have fun on the water in the sunshine….

IMG_2121.jpeg

The historic Three Mills site

IMG_2113.jpeg

It’s actually on an island. You can see the different waterways on the map……

Last edited:
Three Mills Island

IMG_3955.jpg

There’s some very strange craft on the water. This one looks like a lifeboat from a large ship or oil rig. The owner has bolted some sort of seating area on the aft (that’s a nautical expression) end. We’ll see it on the way back.

IMG_2112.jpeg

Underneath Bow Bridge flyover. Again, you can can see the various creeks and rivers, branching off on the map

IMG_2117.jpeg

IMG_3956.jpg

With some topical local graffiti

IMG_2118.jpeg

As a local history board explains, there has been a crossing here for nearly 1,000 years. I guess if you are the wife of the king, you can get a bridge built, after you have fallen in the water

IMG_2116.jpeg

Our end destination is slowly coming into view

IMG_2120.jpeg

They caught up with me again….

IMG_2122.jpeg

Last edited:
Past the sewage pipe. The Victorians were justifiably proud of their engineering prowess. In particular, Mr Bazalgette, who built London’s first proper sewer system, running alongside the Thames. It accounts for why the Embankment past the Savoy and Charring Cross (away to the west) is the shape it is, as the sewer pipe runs inside it. London is still using his wonderful (though badly overstretched) sewer today, though it will be greatly enhanced by the new ‘Super Sewer’, a massive engineering and logistical undertaking, which will be complete in 2025.

IMG_2128.jpeg

IMG_2129.jpeg

Some more of the old tubs and some Eastern Europeans fishing. One of the rotting tubs was a long way from its home in Rotterdam

IMG_2124.jpeg

IMG_2126.jpeg

IMG_2127.jpeg

There are a few what I’d call ‘camps’ along the waterway, where the homeless have taken up residence, often accompanied by a pumping techno beat. This fellow had chosen (quite sensibly, I guess) a spot under a bridge. He’d made himself a floating pontoon or platform out of old beer kegs

IMG_2161.jpeg

IMG_2123.jpeg

IMG_2160.jpeg

Last edited:
Onwards to the next set of locks, which had a quite fun looking wedding party barge coming through

IMG_2135.jpeg

IMG_2137.jpeg

Past the trendy bar, again banging out banging tunes

IMG_2139.jpeg

Past the football pitches, in the shadow of West Ham’s ground in the former Olympic stadium, where a mini version of Brazil appeared to be practicing

IMG_2140.jpeg

Until it was time to turn around and retrace my steps

IMG_2141.jpeg

Turn around Whittington (though he turned around in what is now north London)

A tidy bit of parallel parking by the lady driver

IMG_2143.jpeg

Some boats might look unoccupied. But, people are living on them, most being pretty friendly

IMG_2144.jpeg

IMG_2145.jpeg

IMG_2146.jpeg

Whilst some residents have four legs

IMG_2149.jpeg

IMG_2150.jpeg

and in one jump it was back onboard

I am pretty sure that this one hasn’t moved for quite a while and that (hopefully) nobody lives on it

IMG_2151.jpeg

I was though taken with this fine example of, what I believe is called, up-cycling

IMG_2152.jpeg

Past the small ‘Tender’ barge. I am sure that’s not what they are called

IMG_2154.jpeg

Past more tubs and a warning sign as to the dangers of electricity. Something about the sign amused me, when I read the bit about calling an emergency number. I had a cartoon image of someone holding the cable, sparks and lightning bolts flying, hair on end and struggling to find his mobile phone

IMG_2156.jpeg

IMG_2157.jpeg

IMG_2158.jpeg

and one that probably vibrates and shakes to an acid beat, when anyone is in

IMG_2159.jpeg

Good read, we like a bit of urban exploring.

Back under the A11, which will find its end in Cambridge

IMG_2162.jpeg

IMG_2164.jpeg

No doubt this was an important message from whoever sprayed and stencilled it

IMG_2166.jpeg

IMG_2165.jpeg

Back past the fading life boat, with its bolted on seating area. It looks well made and someone went to quite a lot of trouble to fit it, yet it doesn’t fit the shabby state of the rest of the craft

IMG_2167.jpeg

Another old tub. What is amazing is the quantity of old junk, so often heaped on top

IMG_2168.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2166.jpeg
    IMG_2166.jpeg
    348.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2165.jpeg
    IMG_2165.jpeg
    322.6 KB · Views: 12
Now into Limehouse, where there’s a ‘wedding taxi’, which sort of fits with the ‘wedding barge’ seen earlier

IMG_2170.jpeg

Someone heading up from the Thames end

IMG_2171.jpeg

IMG_2172.jpeg

Under the Commercial Road, which will become the A13, finishing on the mouth of the Thames estuary at Southend

IMG_2174.jpeg

Away from the water, you have to cross one of east London’s many small parks and green spaces, very popular with residents. These ladies were playing ball with their dogs

IMG_2175.jpeg

IMG_2177.jpeg

Past the Bangladeshi family’s picnic

IMG_2178.jpeg

Past an encouraging signpost

IMG_2176.jpeg

Interesting and informative Wapping, I'd never really thought of London having a network of working waterways, though logically, pre internal combustion engine, there must have been a system of transportation to support commerce and industry. In the Black Country, my patch, the 'cuts' are well known with a nearby Black Country Museum and Canal Navigation Trust.
A shame to see so many apparently abandoned old hulks and yes some great restoration projects there.
Well done.

On to turn right into Narrow Street, to head pick up the Thames and head westwards to home. There is a small triangular area of grass and trees, where a bunch of French residents were playing boules

IMG_2186.jpeg

IMG_2179.jpeg

IMG_2180.jpeg
IMG_2182.jpeg

IMG_2183.jpeg

The famous old, Grapes pub, owned in partnership by the actor Sir Ian McKellen

IMG_2187.jpeg

IMG_2191.jpeg

Thanks for that Wappers,,,
Didn't realise there were so many old boats,barges and things in amongst the canal ways in the city...

Interesting and informative Wapping, I'd never really thought of London having a network of working waterways, though logically, pre internal combustion engine, there must have been a system of transportation to support commerce and industry. In the Black Country, my patch, the 'cuts' are well known with a nearby Black Country Museum and Canal Navigation Trust.
A shame to see so many apparently abandoned old hulks and yes some great restoration projects there.
Well done.

Thank you.

Like its green spaces, London is covered with a system of old waterways and rivers, many of which have been cleaned up and are used for leisure activities of all sorts.

Eventually they were replaced by the railways and the internal combustion engine.

A great sunday morning read Richard, thanks. (Thankfully, my Mrs hates shopping so any visit to a town or city involves lots of ambling around the architecture, watercourses and out of the way places)

Out onto the Thames, first looking eastwards towards Canary Wharf and the Isle of Dogs (you can see how much the river bends around the peninsula) and then westwards, towards home

IMG_2194.jpeg

IMG_2193.jpeg

Into King Edward Memorial Park

IMG_2195.jpeg

IMG_2197.jpeg

These oasis of green are right in the middle of London

IMG_3958.jpeg

IMG_3957.jpeg

Through and past, Shadwell Old Basin

IMG_2200.jpeg

IMG_2201.jpeg

The old power station, with the Prospect of Whitby pub to its left

IMG_2202.jpeg

The local fishing crew

IMG_2204.jpeg

IMG_2205.jpeg

New life

IMG_2206.jpeg

On westwards, out of the basin, the City skyline coming into view, a little over a mile away

IMG_2209.jpeg

Into Wapping Woods

IMG_2210.jpeg

IMG_2211.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom