Now the quick shifter has packed up

Currently I am watching.....
What a bizarre post :eek: :blast

Back to the problem.
It's not likely to be a software issue due to when it has happened.
It's more likely to be an issue with the quick shifter hardware, either a faulty micro switch inside the unit or a loose connection where it connects to the wiring harness.

What a bizarre post :eek: :blast

Back to the problem.
It's not likely to be a software issue due to when it has happened.
It's more likely to be an issue with the quick shifter hardware, either a faulty micro switch inside the unit or a loose connection where it connects to the wiring harness.

or a faulty clutch switch making the ECU think the rider is using that method

My 2014 gsa was on its third GSAP unit in 32 months when I got rid

or a faulty clutch switch making the ECU think the rider is using that method
That could be checked/eliminated by pulling the clutch in a couple of millimetres while the cruise control is in operation.
If the switch is working correctly it should disengage the cruise control.
Actually thinking about it, if the clutch micro switch is in the 'pulled in' position the CC won't engage.

I too am doubting software and favouring a much more mechanical or electrical type problem.

When the fault manifests itself, the gear leaver feels locked rigid. This makes sense as the gearbox is under load. When the quick shifter is working, there is just a title bit of resistance and the lever just snicks up or down. For some reason or another, the system is not killing the ignition for the fraction of a second it takes to take the load off the gearbox. I don’t think it’s mechanical, as the normal (third world) clutch method works fine and I can change up the box by closing the throttle (unloading the gearbox and drive) and flicking the gear lever up. That smells to me like some sort of electrical / electromechanical problem, within the short shifter itself or between the shifter and the gearbox.

Mechanically, the external linkage is sound. That is for sure. I have had a good look at it now I am back at home.

What I can’t understand is why, after shutting the bike down on the Chunnel, it worked once and then not again, all the way back to London. It is almost as if something switches off or becomes out of line. Anyway, BMW original manufacturer’s warranty can sort it out. That’s what I ‘bought’ when I bought the new bike.

The clutch switch is fine. I pondered about that as I rode along. I can engage and disengage the cruise control at will, using the clutch lever. Similarly, no problem with engaging gears on the move or at standstill. Likewise, finding neutral at rest is OK, too.

Now I know why the salesperson explained that this bike doesn't have a quick shifter, then again you really, really don't want one of these!

Which bike is ‘this bike’?

The 1600 has come with a quick shifter for a few years now. It is the first time I had a problem with one, on several different models of BMW bikes, including the 1600.

Which bike is ‘this bike’?

The 1600 has come with a quick shifter for a few years now. It is the first time I had a problem with one, on several different models of BMW bikes, including the 1600.

That may be true Richard, but you certainly don't seem to be enjoying the BMW quality with this one.

My moneys on the plastic (nylon etc) bearing in the shifter being bust into many pieces, causing the mechanism to fail

will be at least a days time to take in, plug into the fuser, read said codes, prod and poke shifter, unbolt & unplug shifter, fit new part, recode new part & est ride :)

has to be , there reckoning on half a day to remove & replace a cracked rear brake reservoir on the GS lol ( i'm going to make em do the front pads as well lol) :D:D

That may be true Richard, but you certainly don't seem to be enjoying the BMW quality with this one.

Bar the EMF leaking TFT screen, it has been OK.

I did just under 1000 miles over Easter on a jaunt into France and it was fine. I do though have a nagging suspicion that it have the ‘Pull to the left’ issue that the very first 1600’s had. It certainly isn’t as stable as my last 1600. I haven’t got used to the new ‘Smart’ suspension either but, early days, as they say.

Bar the EMF leaking TFT screen, it has been OK.

I did just under 1000 miles over Easter on a jaunt into France and it was fine. I do though have a nagging suspicion that it have the ‘Pull to the left’ issue that the very first 1600’s had. It certainly isn’t as stable as my last 1600. I haven’t got used to the new ‘Smart’ suspension either but, early days, as they say.

But still not good on a bike which is a few months old and cost £20k+ (I assume )

The TFT screen EMF problem is the most tedious, coupled to the Connected app being a bit of a ‘work in progress’. The rest of the screen is very good. The quick shifter fault can be just about anything but it doesn’t stop the bike. It can be mended,
no doubt.

All back.

A broken wire to the quick shifter.

There is some posts on the US 1600 forum, suggesting that this is a known problem. But, hey-ho, all mended.

Back
Top Bottom