Oh dear, I’ve got a hankering for a Harley again

Flipfly

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve got my GSA up for sale to release some spondulicks to pay for my wife’s exuberance with the landscaping in the garden. I should have around 10k left, so I’m pondering what to buy.

I think it will be a Roadking either way, but what to go for?

What is the panels recommendation regarding what year bike to go for?

Currently looking at what looks like a nice 2008 105 anniversary for £8k, but there’s a 2013 up the road for 11k. Harley prices are a nightmare because 99% of owners think their bike is worth far more than it really is and selling a high value toy is not easy these days.

Road Kings changed from a 16" to a 17" front wheel in 2009 and also the rear end mudguard arrangement was
changed to a more modern sterile look. This detracts from the original classic design of the RK. I would go for the
2008 model which will be the 96cui (1580cc) engine. You'll also be saving a wodge of money for a better looking
bike which will serve you well IMHO.
Or ignore this old fart bollocks and go for the 2013. :D

Just out of interest, where are you looking for these bikes? I've been looking out for a Roadking for ages and the 2008 models I've seen are £10k+!

Just out of interest, where are you looking for these bikes? I've been looking out for a Roadking for ages and the 2008 models I've seen are £10k+!
Facebook marketplace/eBay

Dealers all ask silly money, just need to figure out the scammers, but it’ll there’s a 2012 road king for 4k, it’s pretty easy to spot.

Facebook marketplace/eBay

Dealers all ask silly money, just need to figure out the scammers, but it’ll there’s a 2012 road king for 4k, it’s pretty easy to spot.
Cheers for that - I don't do faceache, but I know a man who does. . .

I had a RK new in 1997 an Evo lovely it was , swapped for a road glide . The Evo's are simple bikes . I have a TC 1450 Fat boy now which is really nice , and with a screen they could do what you want . Not a RKS then ? I guess too much , and the RK is a more comfortable bike . Most of the fun is looking right ? Good luck

I had a RK new in 1997 an Evo lovely it was , swapped for a road glide . The Evo's are simple bikes . I have a TC 1450 Fat boy now which is really nice , and with a screen they could do what you want . Not a RKS then ? I guess too much , and the RK is a more comfortable bike . Most of the fun is looking right ? Good luck
I’d love an RKS but they are too much and I think the later twin cams are a better sorted motor than the M8.

I just want a decent reliable bike tbh

i too want one. saw this at the weekend and nearly pee'd myself.

Barry

Attachments

• hrly.jpg
    hrly.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 80
Road Kings changed from a 16" to a 17" front wheel in 2009 and also the rear end mudguard arrangement was
changed to a more modern sterile look. This detracts from the original classic design of the RK. I would go for the
2008 model which will be the 96cui (1580cc) engine. You'll also be saving a wodge of money for a better looking
bike which will serve you well IMHO.
Or ignore this old fart bollocks and go for the 2013. :D
2008 is the first year for the larger 6 (US) gallon tank and I believe TBW but the big improvements came the following model year. So I'll play the devil's advocate to brut's recommendation and suggest the 2009 as a better looking and better overall motorcycle. To me the 17" front looks better proportioned and the rear mudguard fits perfectly with the (long overdue) wider rear wheel/tyre. The exhaust arrangement flows better, headers are 1-piece eliminating the Y-pipe, and reduce heat. The strengthened frame and swing arm along with the better tyres, revised and more rigid rubber mounting system, really improve handling and increase safe carrying capacity by 40kg. The over-tall gearing for 2008 was tweaked to just-right gearing in 2009 by adding 2 teeth to the rear sprocket (at least in the US market, not sure about Euro models). Oh and 09 has the EITMS system which can be activated via the switchgear to shut off fuel to the rear cylinder at idle which further cuts heat to the rider.

Last edited:
2008 is the first year for the larger 6 (US) gallon tank and I believe TBW but the big improvements came the following model year. So I'll play the devil's advocate to brute's recommendation and suggest the 2009 as a better looking and better overall motorcycle. To me the 17" front looks better proportioned and the rear mudguard fits perfectly with the (long overdue) wider rear wheel/tyre. The exhaust arrangement flows better, headers are 1-piece eliminating the Y-pipe, and reduce heat. The strengthened frame and swing arm along with the better tyres, revised and more rigid rubber mounting system, really improve handling and increase safe carrying capacity by 40kg. The over-tall gearing for 2008 was tweaked to just-right gearing in 2009 by adding 2 teeth to the rear sprocket (at least in the US market, not sure about Euro models). Oh and 09 has the EITMS system which can be activated via the switchgear to shut off fuel to the rear cylinder at idle which further cuts heat to the rider.

I bow to your greater knowledge but I love my 1999 88cui RK Classic and happy to say it's a better bike than my first Harley which was a 2005 RK.
My current bike was imported into the UK from Boston, Georgia and has more power and better handling than my first RK. Perhaps it's previous owner did some improvements on it's engine and suspension but without taking it apart I'll never know.
I wasn't aware the handling and general performance on the 2009 was such an improvement but in my case I suppose ignorance is bliss and I like the old school looks of the earlier bikes.
Thanks for posting.👍

The 88ci is a good motor (just be sure the cam chain tensioners have been upgraded) and I would prefer your 1999 over a 2003+ 88 as well.

The 88ci is a good motor (just be sure the cam chain tensioners have been upgraded) and I would prefer your 1999 over a 2003+ 88 as well.
It's a 'must do' upgrade indeed. Mine was done by it's previous owner.

I had a FXDX and it is a bike I regret selling, (even though I made a very nice profit on it), and the other bike I regret selling was my Buell Ulysses, a cracking bike!

Back
Top Bottom