One step forward, two steps backwards

Wapping

Reaction score
In the sunshine, I was going to install my nice new iridium spark plug this afternoon.

The bloody spark plug lead is either too short or badly routed under the tank. It should be a two second job to pull the cap and its rubber boot off the plug, except when the cap hits the bottom of the fuel tank, leaving insufficient clearance to clear the top of the spark plug.

That’s OK I thought, I’ll work aroound the problem by lifting the rear of the tank. Ah, bugger, the tank is full to the brim with fuel and my jerry can is in Mill Hill, 45 minutes away. I am not going to put up with this monkeying around, each time I take the spark plug out.

Oh well, at least I got the DNA filter done.

It is for now, until I empty the tank, take it off and work out why the spark plug lead is effectively too short, so it has insufficient play at the spark plug end. It is only out by a couple of mm but it might as well be two miles.

When refitting the tank, be mindful that on some Himmies aligning the two gromet holes in the rear of the tank with those in the frame requires plenty of buggering around time. My bike was easy, but a mate's was a real pig.

When refitting the tank, be mindful that on some Himmies aligning the two gromet holes in the rear of the tank with those in the frame requires plenty of buggering around time. My bike was easy, but a mate's was a real pig.

I know from when I removed my tank last time, that mine is a real pig, too.

I really do not know why. The bolts, when they finally do align, screw in really easily. They also unscrew easily, too. What I am going to do is glue the large penny washers in place, as the damned things move.

I have watched several video clips, wher people just plonk the tank on, drop the bolts down the guides and tighten them up. Mine, was a real pig to align.

Back
Top Bottom