Planning a solo trip to Poland next year

Pale Rider

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I am planning a solo trip over to Poland next year starting with the chunnel then through Germany visiting Colditz castle on through Poland Krakow salt mines etc up to Gdansk and head back from there.

I would very much like to visit Auschwitz 1&2 plus the museum but unsure how to go about this, should i just book the dates I want on their website and rock up on the bike, park it in the car park and worry about it getting stolen all day, not to mention being in sweaty bike gear all day or is there some kind of agent I can book through that pick you up from the hotel take you there and drop you off back at the hotel afterwards? This would be the ideal solution but does such a thing exist?

Oh and if there are other notable things to visit over there please tell me. It’s very early days yet and I haven’t done much research so input from others who have visited would be very much appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

On the Auschwitz trip, most taxi drivers will collect you, provide pre-bought tour guide tickets and wait for you. There's hundreds of them in the car parks waiting for returning guests. There's minibus companies do the same and the numbers reduce the individual cost.

We used a guy who was recommended, but it's years ago and not sure if he's still around.

Last edited:
Sounds like you like modern history.

I’d definitely do the great escape tunnel thing. Decent museum and you can ride right to the tunnel exit point.

Regarding auschwitz, I parked up at the centres door and they were happy to look after my helmet whilst I visited.

If you look on here I did a trip called great escape few years back, it may be of interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go the Wolf's Lair... it's mental....! bike was safe in the carpark, there's also the Masurian Lakes filled with oldie worldy hotels (cheap) with set meals great for a walk about or a leisurely ride down some tracks...

It depends on whether you’re camping or not but a lot of the hotels in Krakow will book you a trip to Auschwitz and Birkenau where you get picked up, have the guided trip then get dropped off at your hotel later.

Obviously this will require a small degree of planning and advance booking if you want to visit at a busy time of the year but it does have the advantage of knowing your visits are booked and it’s not a case of queuing in the hope of getting tagged onto a group.

I went too Auschwitz awhile back,
Never again,was herded from one building too the next,U waited for the previous trip partys too leave the building.
As your waiting outside the next party is lining up behind you too go in aswell..
In u go,quick walk about with guide wittering on,then onto the next building..
Then repeat again....
It's like a conveyer belt off tourists being headed through...
I was even asked if I wanted too join a Russian party going through if I didn't want too wait for an English speaking guide...

I went too Auschwitz awhile back,
Never again,was herded from one building too the next,U waited for the previous trip partys too leave the building.
As your waiting outside the next party is lining up behind you too go in aswell..
In u go,quick walk about with guide wittering on,then onto the next building..
Then repeat again....
It's like a conveyer belt off tourists being headed through...
I was even asked if I wanted too join a Russian party going through if I didn't want too wait for an English speaking guide...

Birkenau felt like the only authentic part of my visit there. Auschwitz was a little busy but a guided tour was useful as the information given put a lot into perspective.
I went in January 2019 and the thick snow on the ground added to the awful history of the two camps.

My trip to Auschwitz and Birkenau wasn't so packed, plenty of time and space and was very educational thanks to our guide.
i went in June 2022
The feeling i had walking through the gas chamber will stay with me forever.

have a look at this pretty much the same trip, click the heading.

I am just back from a wee trip to Latvia and spent 3 days in poland - staying at Lodz and Bialystok. I was with my partner and spent some time in Wigierski Park the spa's were stunning and like the rest of Poland so afordable

If you intend to stay in Gdansk, then maybe rethink a little and stay in the beach town of Sopot instead. It's all part of the same "tri-city" area of Gdansk, Gdynia and Sopot, but Sopot is lovely in the summer with a long white sandy beach and lots of little fish restaurants, bars etc...

Back
Top Bottom