Puig Hugger = BMW recommend removal!

BobJ

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Took my 5 year old Scrambler in for its annual service on Wednesday at a local BMW dealer.
I think most these days do a video walk around health check thing and in that (and also a subsequent phone call whilst the bike was there) I was told that BMW recommend the removal of any rear wheel hugger that uses the paralever arm and/or rear brake caliper as mounting points.
I pointed out that I was aware of issues with the mounting bolts of some cheapo Chinese rip off copies being made of cheese but was told that BMW recommend the removal of all such huggers - even the genuine Puig article.
This is the first time in 5 years that this has been mentioned. Anybody else had the same?
I mean - I fully intend to ignore the advice but I'm just interested....

After 6 years, my Puig Hugger broke near the swing arm bolt during my recent trip to France. I have been aware of the potential problem and kept a close eye on it. They can come loose so need to be checked.

This was on my R1200RS. BMW now make a wider rear mud guard available in the UK for the R & RS, which was fitted as standard to bikes shipped to NZ/Aus. I will probably fit one of these before winter. Worth checking to see if they have done something similar for the R9T

I had the same on both my BMWs 1 x nine t scrambler 1x r1250gs
Was told to remove from both bike’s if I didn’t my warranties would be invalid
So I did
Have sent a email to puig 5 weeks ago but no reply yet

Sounds like BMW are covering themselves against legal action in the event of a claim when a bike was fitted with a hugger they did not supply or have quality control over. As an example, some huggers fit quite close to the wheel and it is not beyond belief that some owners would fit a knobbly tyre causing contact with the hugger. With unknown future tyre choices BMW don't wish to be liable for not advising removal when the workshop sees a hugger fitted. I have a 10 year old genuine BMW carbon fibre hugger on my GS, so we shall see what they make of that next time it is in.

I’m not sure what make it was but there was a rear hugger on my 22 GS when I first saw it. Between then & me picking it up it went through the workshop & they removed it due to the fixings. I imagine it was a proprietary make as the guy who’d owned the bike previously had several aftermarket bits fitted all of which were quality makes.

Took my 5 year old Scrambler in for its annual service on Wednesday at a local BMW dealer.
I think most these days do a video walk around health check thing and in that (and also a subsequent phone call whilst the bike was there) I was told that BMW recommend the removal of any rear wheel hugger that uses the paralever arm and/or rear brake caliper as mounting points.
I pointed out that I was aware of issues with the mounting bolts of some cheapo Chinese rip off copies being made of cheese but was told that BMW recommend the removal of all such huggers - even the genuine Puig article.
This is the first time in 5 years that this has been mentioned. Anybody else had the same?
I mean - I fully intend to ignore the advice but I'm just interested....

It’s arse covering for warranty claims.

The point of failure with these huggers appears to be either the fixing bolts or stress fractures on the cast arm that attaches the plastic mudguard to the FD. The latter you can't predict save for periodic examination. The Scrambler is a second bike and only gets light use anyway. In terms of the fixings, when I fitted it to the bike shortly after purchase I replaced the supplied Puig mounting nuts/bolts with appropriately sized polished titanium items from Pro-Bolt so potentially stronger than the OEM BMW factory items.

Have sent a email to puig 5 weeks ago but no reply yet - I would however be interested to read the response from Puig....

Had something similar on a Versys that I had just bought, found 2 damaged fixings and made temporary repairs until I replaced it.
Later found the real problem that the suspension settings were on the softest possible and the hugger would hit the bottom of the undertray squashing it. 5 turns of the shock adjuster and 2 on the screw later problem solved.

My brother rides a R1250GS and when he put Michelin Pilot 6 on he had to remove the MudSling hugger as it was rubbing on the tyre.

Back
Top Bottom