OEM crash bars - Warning!

peej1977

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So, my SW Motech crash bars have arrived and in the instructions it says to do the 3 bolts up to "OEM spec" which is great, except I don't know what the OEM torque settings are and I can't find them online.

Doing a bit of looking, I found the instructions for the OEM crash bars here - https://manuals.bmw-motorrad.com/ma...15B3B3C8_Motorschutzbuegel_0M21_01_202309.pdf

The instructions say 56NM so I thought great, but the SW Motech ones don't use the same 3 mounting points, the rear most bolt replaces the lower engine mount bolt so I needed the torque value for that.

Rang my dealer and asked very kindly and as far as he can tell, the rear engine bolt is 100NM but in conversation he mentioned that 56NM seemed a bit high for the front 2 so he checked on the system and it says 32NM.

Looking at the instructions again they appear to have made an error, cause the bolts are M8's which tallies with what the dealer told me and matches what I have from SW Motech, but on page 4 of the instructions it lists M8 bolts, but on page 6 says M10's and 56NM of torque.

It appears they have specified the correct bolt size in the parts list, but the wrong bolt (and torque value) on the page describing how to install them. He's going to report it to BMW but wanted to mention in case anyone was going to fit them.

1704455827360.png

1704455851499.png

Back
Top Bottom