R1200GS - Trying to decide on the model - Help please

I bought my R1200GS back in 2004 and sold it on here. I've been bikeless for a while now and therefore a bit behind on the "must have" and "don't touch this with a barge pole" models.

I've seen a 2017 R1200GS TE Exclusive that I like the look of. Can anyone tell me their warts and all thoughts on this particular model, please. Is it water cooled (can you tell from the model I have listed?), if so, is better to go for non-wc?

I can't afford and probably don't want, a 1250, definitely can't afford a 1300 either.

Don't want an Adventure.

I read a thread a while ago, suggesting the late 12's were probably the best to go for but can't remember why it was suggested.

Many Thanks.

You are too stupid to be my friend :dabone

Seems odd that in 2013/2014 we were told by BMW that the LC model was being introduced as the Hexhead TC could not pass the new upcoming emission standards and the motor was being dropped , is it not still being used in the R9T

Seems odd that in 2013/2014 we were told by BMW that the LC model was being introduced as the Hexhead TC could not pass the new upcoming emission standards and the motor was being dropped , is it not still being used in the R9T
It is indeed :thumby:

As far as I know the alternator is not a common problem on LCs, no more than on any other bike

LCs are prone to flaking engine paint, left hand switch gear can get sticky, poorly plated cams are common and driveshaft splines can rust, although that last one should no longer be a problem as there is a service and replacement policy on the shafts now

A 2017 bike that’s been looked after should be as trouble free as anything else 👍
I think you are correct in your assumptions….. but if it does fail it’s £1600! I replaced an alternator on an 1150 last year for £30 I think it was 🤔

I have a 2009 GSA Hexhead ( single cam) and love it. Its in great condition , and does everything i want it to do, without fuss. It has a beautiful torquey ride, and will be in the garage for some time to come.
Whatever floats your boat, but i stopped hunting thee best and latest when i changed away from litre sportbikes, and now have achieved satori!

I have a 2009 GSA Hexhead ( single cam) and love it. Its in great condition , and does everything i want it to do, without fuss. It has a beautiful torquey ride, and will be in the garage for some time to come.
Whatever floats your boat, but i stopped hunting thee best and latest when i changed away from litre sportbikes, and now have achieved satori!
I have a late 2008 GSA too….. seems as torquey as the Twin Cams really

Here it is ...
Have a look at this thread on those who did/didn't take out extended warranties

I have a late 2008 GSA too….. seems as torquey as the Twin Cams really
I have had a twin cam, and it does have a bit more urgency about it, but its not night and day. I am sure the 1250 or 1300 would be like riding a different bike, and much quicker. If that is what you want……

Have a look at this thread on those who did/didn't take out extended warranties

Oh, no matter how you read it, that's a bit concerning, for a couple of reasons but mainly, has the current and previous owners, had all the recalls done.

I've now wobbled in my decision to find a suitable LC. Such a pussy!

Back to the drawing board for me, maybe a move away from BM would be best. 😟

Oh, no matter how you read it, that's a bit concerning, for a couple of reasons but mainly, has the current and previous owners, had all the recalls done.

I didn't think it was too bad TBH.

I did not take out an extended warranty and have had to pay for repair(s) myself in full​

Votes: 5 3.5%

Remember that people will moan about issues 10 times more than shout about reliability. I covered 26K miles in the first 2 years with it, most of which was over short time periods each year when touring - it's always been faultless, without any issues. And my Bike is apparently a year (2013) when they were plagued with issues! Either mine has been fully sorted prior to my ownership, or was a Tuesday morning bike & not a Friday afternoon one....

Any Bike has the potential to have issues whether you buy it privately or from a dealer, and whether the issue happens on day 1 of the warranty or 1 day after the warranty runs out.

Buy the Bike you like set some money aside to sort things out if needed and enjoy it.

*whilst people may bemoan the cost the alternator being high, it's because of the new location. On the TC's the clutch was in this position and so would also cost ££££ to replace. I'd say a clutch is generally needing replaced more than an alternator.....which at least on the LC is at the front of the engine now!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom