R1200GS - Trying to decide on the model - Help please

May be put a picture of THE bike up and someone might know it.

Yes but that term has never commonly been used to describe them. More to the point, having had three of the earlier 1200's, then a Twincam and now an LC, the LC is a much nicer ride.
That's one vote for the LC (with twin cams) !
One for the Twin Cam motor that we now know is in the LC
I'll take that as two votes for the LC

One vote against the LC as it's over complicated.

Ride them and see which one you prefer.

The GS from 2013 was watercooled, and the GSA from 2014.

Any Bike is only as good as A) it was built & B) how the previous owner(s) have looked after it, maintained it, repaired issues, carried out pro-active maintenance etc.

I have an early 2013 GS and bar the alternator needing to be replaced, it's been a faultless Bike with no issues.
How did you get the alternator replaced on your LC, what was the cost please and what mileage had the bike covered when it went AWOL? Thanks

How did you get the alternator replaced on your LC, what was the cost please and what mileage had the bike covered when it went AWOL? Thanks
Early LC models circa 2014 are known to have a weak alternator

cost has been covered on another thread, but if i recall its north of 1K , 8hrs of which are labour , as its engine out and back in to replace the alternator

You are a bit confused

Think of it this way

Hexhead 2006 - 2008 approx - Single cam
Twincam 2008 - 2012 - (A twincam version of the hexhead)
All Air/ Oil cooled engines
-------------------------------------------------------------------
LC 2103 - 2020 approx - A liquid cooled twincam engine
1250 - 2020 - A 1250 Liquid cooled twincam
All liquid cooled engines

You are a bit confused

Think of it this way

Hexhead 2006 - 2008 approx - Single cam
Twincam 2008 - 2012 - (A twincam version of the hexhead)
All Air/ Oil cooled engines
-------------------------------------------------------------------
LC 2103 - 2020 approx - A liquid cooled twincam engine
1250 - 2020 - A 1250 Liquid cooled twincam
All liquid cooled engines

You got the air/oil cooled GS wrong
Single cam 2004-2009
TwinCam 2010 -2012 (2013 for GSA)

Single cam 2004-2009
TwinCam 2010 -2012 (2013 for GSA)
Not just me then!! :ROFLMAO:

I think I have it from here however, feel free to keep the excellent info coming, I'm sure others were dying to ask but were too embarrassed by their knowledge shortfall! 😮 . I'm happy with the LC, as long as there's not a huge increase in weight, particularly if the centre of gravity is raised.

The 2017 model should surely have been sorted by BM (surely?). I prefer the look of it in the standard version (non Adv) to the twin cam's and though maybe not important to some, it is to me. I like to admire my chosen steed from afar and walk up to it, giving sly, sideways glances, admiring its chiselled lines, its powerful form, the promise of adventures to come. Haahaaaaha!

I know there will be eyes rolling and much hilarity in the 11xx community who haunt these hallowed halls, I'll put my fingers in my ears, for them! :D

Ride them and see which one you prefer.
Honestly, I'd love both. In fact, I'd probably love any bike, having had a break of a few years, since my 1200 went.

Also, I don't have the skill to "test" any bike, let alone compare two similar bikes. 🫣

I read a thread a while ago, suggesting the late 12's were probably the best to go for but can't remember why it was suggested.
Twin cam = traditional BMW drive layout = car type clutch between the engine and gearbox.

LC = rad, gearbox under the crank etc.

The latter introduced during 2013 but some twin cams will have 13 registrations. My RT did.

Personally, I'd go for as late a TC as I could afford rather than an early LC. On the basis that there was not much left to go wrong. BMW have a rep for letting the customer do the beta testing of new models!

I had a 2013 1200GS. Exhaust flap stuck and replaced out of good will. Rear shock failure last year so i chopped it in for a 1250. Apart from that, reliable 37000 miles mostly touring abroad.

emoji85.png

Single cam 2004-2009
TwinCam 2010 -2012 (2013
If your going to have the sarky comment, and emoji lol,

at least get your dig & dates correct ;) I did put approx, as i didnt have access to other data, which i have now seen

R1200GS 04 (0307 0317) First production month 12/2002 last production month 10/2007 Single cam
R1200GS 08 (0303 0313) First production month 11/2006 last production month 09/2009 Single cam
R1200GS 10 (0450 0460) First production month 10/2008 last production month 12/2012 Twin cam

Oh and have an emoji too :dabonexx

Also the WC gearbox has gotten smoother than the previous years offering according to reports. I have a 15 GS, it has a 200 mile range approx, and I have a 200 mile range bladder, so a match made in heaven... :D

The 17 GS looks great, and I’m sure you’ll love it..

At a main dealer. As the independents were similar prices and at least with BMW i get a 2 year parts/labour warranty. Cost was £1621 (nearly a 50/50 split of parts & labour).

It was 10 years old, and 50K miles when it went.

At a main dealer. As the independents were similar prices and at least with BMW i get a 2 year parts/labour warranty. Cost was £1621 (nearly a 50/50 split of parts & labour).

It was 10 years old, and 50K miles when it went.
Thanks for the info 👍
Does any LC owner here know of a warranty company that will include cover for the alternator, or has indeed taken out warranty cover on their bike recently and actually made a successful claim on their policy for such a repair? It’s only this potential issue and it’s costly fix that is stopping me buying an LC for a change! Thanks

Thanks for the info 👍
Does any LC owner here know of a warranty company that will include cover for the alternator, or has indeed taken out warranty cover on their bike recently and actually made a successful claim on their policy for such a repair? It’s only this potential issue and it’s costly fix that is stopping me buying an LC for a change! Thanks

As far as I know the alternator is not a common problem on LCs, no more than on any other bike

LCs are prone to flaking engine paint, left hand switch gear can get sticky, poorly plated cams are common and driveshaft splines can rust, although that last one should no longer be a problem as there is a service and replacement policy on the shafts now

A 2017 bike that’s been looked after should be as trouble free as anything else 👍

Back
Top Bottom