R1200GSA Hexhead ….manageable inside leg length please??

Brodie13

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone out there in GS land managed to successfully own/pilot an R1200GS Adventure Hexhead with an inside leg measurement of 30” and standing 5’7” tall? If so, and there must be a few of you out there, did you utilise a low seat of some description or reduced-height suspension perhaps? Thanks 😊

Has anyone out there in GS land managed to successfully own/pilot an R1200GS Adventure Hexhead with an inside leg measurement of 30” and standing 5’7” tall? If so, and there must be a few of you out there, did you utilise a low seat of some description or reduced-height suspension perhaps? Thanks 😊

Hi Brodie, I'm just shy of 6 foot but my inside leg is just 31" but I comfortably spent 5 years with a TC GSA and lots of miles both solo and two-up. You've been around a while so you know it's always a good rule to plan in advance which foot you're going to put down at a junction or stop and not get caught out by any camber, moreso when you're at full stretch. I'm guessing you're an experienced and confident rider and I reckon you would get dialled in fairly easily and manage a standard height set-up.

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts. So you ‘fitted’ the bike without any little mods to ‘cut it down to size’ in any way? Thats great 👍

Same here -
TC GS - standard seat.
Five foot 8 inch
31 inch inside leg.
I always have the seat in the high position when solo but the lower one when two up with the Mrs on and the suspension pumped up.
Always felt right and often wondered what all the fuss is about - but each to their own.
Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Height has nothing to do with inside leg or arch , which are the main factors to consider

28" inside leg, and have ridden all varients of the 1200GS ( hexhead, TC & LC)

Hexhead = Std Low seat

TC = Std low seat re profiled

LC = Factory low & Ultralow seat

Check out www.cyclergo.com as a guide for feet position on the GSA

Just bear in mind they changed the stock height from hexhead to TC, And then on the LC they made the bike 60mm wider.

The effect of making the bike wider, means any gains from 30mm factory lowering are wiped out ;)

I reckon you'd be fine , best way, hit your local dealership and sit on a bike

I’m 5’7” and 30” inside leg. The hexhead was fine with a standard seat for me in its low position but I preferred the narrower touratech seat. I found the adventure too tall and top heavy so would have had to done something to reduce the reach (low seat or lowering kit)

As soon as you’re moving it’s not an issue obviously but at lights I was comfortable on the GS and only ever dropped it when I screwed up!

I struggled on a std GS, I’m 5,10 with a 30” leg so had it lowered, never went near a GSA! this might help, I know it’s for GS but should be able to find a GSA one.
Al.9677EA4D-8BDE-4E59-A057-B31695EC9F20.jpeg

I struggled on a std GS, I’m 5,10 with a 30” leg so had it lowered, never went near a GSA! this might help, I know it’s for GS but should be able to find a GSA one.
Al.View attachment 292735
Hi Al, I’m the same height and leg as you, out of curiosity how did you go about getting your bike lowered,,,, ie can you do it yourself or what 🤔
Cheers Baza

My hexhead -

Purchased a set of 30mm lowered Wilburs and fitted them my self

You also need to lower the side and centre stands

The LC was factory low - so lowered suspension, side & centre stands

The TC will at some stage need the shocks lowering & either a new centre & side stand , or i'll get them lowered

Denzo on the forum can refurb & lower suspension units , he's reasonably priced as well

Hi Al, I’m the same height and leg as you, out of curiosity how did you go about getting your bike lowered,,,, ie can you do it yourself or what 🤔
Cheers Baza
A guy on here Denz0 is ttechsuspension based in N London ish, he does a return service by courier, or drop off if close enough, several of us here have used his services and all very happy.
Had mine lowered 30/35 mm with springs matched to weight and how I used my bike.
Some people have said you need to alter/change the stands but my side stand was fine and as I very rarely used the main stand when out and about I just parked on a couple of planks in the garage. Just pm him, very helpful.
Al.

Hi Brodie, I put off buying a GSA because of the height. 2 of my friends are over 6'4" so when I sat on their bikes it was tip-toe. But to answer your question, I bought a 2011 with ESA which needed the shocks servicing which I sent to Lucaz at K-Tech. Top job, he rated the springs for my weight and 'lowered' by about 25mm. The original springs were way to hard on the Wilbers that the bike came with and with the ESA on single rider, I was tip-toe one foot. My inside leg is 32" and on flat ground I can now get both feet down but not completely flat. With a camber I can get one down flat. The seat is an aftermarket Sargent seat (which is all-day comfortable). I still need to have it set low. If I set front and back to low, I can get both feet down flat, but, it is only properly comfortable (otherwise feels like I'm sliding forward) with the rear on low and front of the seat on high, which makes the 'foot down' difference. I'm nearly 66 and went for an older, cheaper GSA with all the engine bars as I knew I would drop it, and I have!

Back
Top Bottom