R80TIC Winter Project

Tetley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Here we go again, this time with a special. So plenty of faffing around, making and fitting non standard parts. The doner bike is a 1982 R80 police bike, model designation TIC. The reason for a TIC is…..wire wheels, Brembo brakes and G/S forks. I also like the tank with the cubby.

Attachments

• 20231119_193410_Original.jpeg
    20231119_193410_Original.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 250
  • Screenshot_20231119_173844_Facebook_Original.jpeg
    Screenshot_20231119_173844_Facebook_Original.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 20231119_193416_Original.jpeg
    20231119_193416_Original.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 20231117_150111_Original.jpeg
    20231117_150111_Original.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 202
The faffing has begun. I’m waiting for all of the new electrical bits to arrive. The police bike, like most old airheads, has all of the electrics in the headlight. I have to move them from there as I’m fitting a small 6.5” headlight. The answer is a G/S wiring loom, this moves the electrics from inside the headlight to under the tank. The problem is the cutaway in the RT tank doesn’t leave a lot of room for all of the relays etc. So I’m waiting for all of the new coils and ignition stuff to arrive. I’ve then got to position them and weld on the appropriate brackets before I can move on. So all of the stuff on the right needs to be fitted on the left.

Attachments

• IMG_1844.jpeg
    IMG_1844.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1842.jpeg
    IMG_1842.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 176
The faffing has begun. I’m waiting for all of the new electrical bits to arrive. The police bike, like most old airheads, has all of the electrics in the headlight. I have to move them from there as I’m fitting a small 6.5” headlight. The answer is a G/S wiring loom, this moves the electrics from inside the headlight to under the tank. The problem is the cutaway in the RT tank doesn’t leave a lot of room for all of the relays etc. So I’m waiting for all of the new coils and ignition stuff to arrive. I’ve then got to position them and weld on the appropriate brackets before I can move on. So all of the stuff on the right needs to be fitted on the left.
Have you considered going the Motogaget route? Makes for a much cleaner and neater electrical system. Basically everything other than switches is incorporated in a box the size of a pack of cards. Especially useful if you want a small headlight too_On my last project I used the standard switchgear but with a custom loom courtesy of Foundry Motorcycles in Chichester.

I think it deserves to be rebuilt to its former glory……..with decals, lights and sirens.

You may be able to rent it out as a film prop….?

Maybe not…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only just seen this thread Colin.

Wouldn’t a later GS tank resolve the issue with the electrics?

Gerry

I’ve sorted the issue with the electrics. It wasn’t to bad….also Gary Burton pointed me in the right direction. I’m being fussy and have decided to dump the police tank and fit a /6 tank. So if anyone has a spare let me know.
The bike is currently having a dry build of sorts. I need to alter the sub frame subject to the position of a rack, mudguard, and the /6 seat. So not a huge amount of actual progress, until I’ve decided where everything will go. Then it will be welding first, then off for painting etc.
Mikeyboy will get the motor gearbox and bevel next week. I’m hoping to have all of the parts before Christmas to I can crack on during the holls. The spend so far is scary. lol

I’ve sorted the issue with the electrics. It wasn’t to bad….also Gary Burton pointed me in the right direction. I’m being fussy and have decided to dump the police tank and fit a /6 tank. So if anyone has a spare let me know.
The bike is currently having a dry build of sorts. I need to alter the sub frame subject to the position of a rack, mudguard, and the /6 seat. So not a huge amount of actual progress, until I’ve decided where everything will go. Then it will be welding first, then off for painting etc.
Mikeyboy will get the motor gearbox and bevel next week. I’m hoping to have all of the parts before Christmas to I can crack on during the holls. The spend so far is scary. lol
Yea but,
The fun is sorting the issues,
The more you change,the more you need to change.
Don’t be afraid to spend a lot of time dry building.
Making changes once you’ve spent dosh on finishing is a pisser

I’m pretty sure that this is progress. The “new” bike is in the boxes on the shelf.

Attachments

• IMG_1856.jpeg
    IMG_1856.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 138

Back
Top Bottom