Removing side stand

wust588

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2018 R1200R and am about to remove the side stand. Well attempt to.
One of the things I find annoying on this bike and my previous 1200RS is the over length side stand.
I've sourced a s/h stand, shortened and powder coated it ready to swap with the original. It must be an age thing but have failed to do the the 'fit washers trick'. Spring coils too close together.

The Haynes manual suggests removing the stand without washers. I think I can remove the stand but refitting may be a bugger.
I thought I'd ask to see if anybody else has removed the s/stand on this model?
I'd hate to end up not being able to get the stand re-fitted.
Thanks.

I’ve changed mine for a short one, I don’t remember it being too much of a struggle to do, I did make a loop of locking wire so the pliers gripped and pulled on that rather than the end of the spring. I thought the washers in the spring trick was for the centre stand?

Al

I’ve changed mine for a short one, I don’t remember it being too much of a struggle to do, I did make a loop of locking wire so the pliers gripped and pulled on that rather than the end of the spring. I thought the washers in the spring trick was for the centre stand?

Al
Thanks for the reply. Yes I think the washer trick will work better for the centre stand. Good idea the lockwire though!

I fitted a centre stand to my RS but fitted the springs first, before fitting one of the big pivot pins. Counter intuitive I know, but it meant I then had the stand to work as a lever when fitting that second pivot pin, rather than trying to persuade the springs into place.
The same method might work with your sidestand. Make sure the bike is securely chocked/ fastened down before you start.

mine is a 2018 model so presume they sorted it by then as it's not too long, it's just the right length so doesn't hold too vertical. However, I did remove the stand from my Aprilia earlier this year to swap for a fire blade stand which uses a similar spring to the RS one. It was no problem using large bent nose pliers to refit the spring...just eat three weetabix on the day.

mine is a 2018 model so presume they sorted it by then as it's not too long, it's just the right length so doesn't hold too vertical. However, I did remove the stand from my Aprilia earlier this year to swap for a fire blade stand which uses a similar spring to the RS one. It was no problem using large bent nose pliers to refit the spring...just eat three weetabix on the day.

Thanks for the replies. Mine is a 2018 model. Yes I have plenty of weetabix, but being an old person I'll enlist the help of a mate with stronger hands than me!
I'm trying to think of a way to refit the stand with the springs already attached. The hard bit will be refitting the bolt.

It can be a bit of a struggle, I agree. Sensible to get some help to reduce risk of skinned knuckles which I invariable end up with when changing sidestands!

Back
Top Bottom