Which is best / easiest to remove - centre stand or side stand?

MtM

Reaction score
Hello - I am thinking about removing one of the stands from my 2007 GS 1200.

Before I potentially undertake this, I wonder is it an act of complete folly? If so, why? Any opinions much
appreciated.

The main reason I am doing it is I don't really need both stands, one or the other would do,
and I am thinking removal of the centre stand would be best as it's the biggest and heaviest,
take a few kilos off there. It may seem daft but I just don't see the need for both for me. However,
I am happy to be told I am being an idiot for good reasons if there are any?

I have looked on youtube, there seem to be videos how to do it, but if I am really barking
up the wrong tree and it's a bad idea then please say I will sack it.

If you have done it yourself and think it's okay then any tips on how to do it, particularly how
difficult it might be to put back on, would be great.

Many thanks!

Center stand is good for servicing, working on the bike, cleaning if that’s something you do, and it takes up less space in your garage parked upright

Side stand is quick and easy for every day use, you can also deploy the side stand whilst sat on the bike unlike the center stand

Keep ‘em both :nod

Before I potentially undertake this, I wonder is it an act of complete folly? If so, why? Any opinions much
appreciated.

The main reason I am doing it is I don't really need both stands, one or the other would do,
and I am thinking removal of the centre stand would be best as it's the biggest and heaviest,
take a few kilos off there. It may seem daft but I just don't see the need for both for me. However,

I have looked on youtube, there seem to be videos how to do it, but if I am really barking

If you have done it yourself and think it's okay then any tips on how to do it, particularly how

Many thanks!

Just keep both
It’s a BMW
That’s what they do
You’ll thank me when you have a puncture or have to remove a wheel
Yours is a stupid idea

appreciated.

Many thanks!
This reads like a chat bot wrote it

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Nowadays a lot of bikes come without a centre stand. And people buy one. Why would a kilo or 2 bother you? Especially where it’s located. The centre stand is the steadiest way to park your bike. When my children were young the bike was always parked on it. Much safer. JJH

On any bike, the side stand is essential. Are you going to get off the bike on every road without the reassurance of the side stand down? I couldn't. What about parking on a gradient? Park on the main stand facing downhill and crash bang wallop. Park on the side stand with the bike in gear and you will be okay. Have you read the ferry thread?

The advantages of a main stand are immense. Park in a garage and the bike needs less width than if on the side stand. Maintenance such as checking the oil or removing a wheel are simple. Even remove both wheels if you use a beer crate under the forks.

You have a silly notion. Find something else to worry about and eat fewer pies to save a few grammes.

On any bike, the side stand is essential. Are you going to get off the bike on every road without the reassurance of the side stand down? I couldn't. What about parking on a gradient? Park on the main stand facing downhill and crash bang wallop. Park on the side stand with the bike in gear and you will be okay. Have you read the ferry thread?

The advantages of a main stand are immense. Park in a garage and the bike needs less width than if on the side stand. Maintenance such as checking the oil or removing a wheel are simple. Even remove both wheels if you use a beer crate under the forks.

You have a silly notion. Find something else to worry about and eat fewer pies to save a few grammes.

Whist I wholly agree that taking it off is indeed a silly motion, I don’t have a side stand on my Le Mans (still looking for one that works, and doesn’t look hideous) and I repeatedly struggle to put the GS on the main stand, so it’s a special event when I do.

I couldn't imagine trying to get off a fully loaded (including tail pack on the rear seat) GSA without a sidestand.then trying to put it on the main. Stupid idea.
It's bad enough attempting it with a side stand. Plus I like to refuel on the main stand. I can get the full 36+ litres in mine that way.

You need both, end of. They server different, but both useful purposes.

If, and I say. if, you had to take one off, it would be the center stand. But don't.

If you must take it off and try it for several months, but keep it handy for when you resell, the next person will be putting it back on.

Reactions: MtM
Complete Madness !! and why would feel you have to ask , but if you have had to look on U tube to see how to do it say's a lot
try checking the oil level without using the main stand or repairing a puncture or changing a tyre I cant easily get on and off my bike without using the side stand especially if its loaded for a camping trip and I would not buy a bike with a stand missing

Last edited:
I can’t do with the cam chain rattle when they’ve been on the side stand for any amount of time. I would keep them both. My KTM hasn’t got a centre stand and it’s a PAI.

Okay folks seems like it is a bad idea looks like I will sack it thanks!
I disagree!
Take your original idea and expand the thought et voila!
Take off both stands and be amazed by your own originality, refusal to follow the herd, stand out in the crowd. You will have a unique GS and never let it be otherwise.
The slight inconvenience of leaning up against your biker mate at every Starbucks Stop will be of no consequence in comparison to your uniquity.
And don`t forget to post up pictures here of how its done.

Yeah, just bolt a castor on each engine bar.

Oh, hang on…

I disagree!
Take your original idea and expand the thought et voila!
Take off both stands and be amazed by your own originality, refusal to follow the herd, stand out in the crowd. You will have a unique GS and never let it be otherwise.
The slight inconvenience of leaning up against your biker mate at every Starbucks Stop will be of no consequence in comparison to your uniquity.
And don`t forget to post up pictures here of how its done.
There must be other semi nonessential things you could suggest that could be done away with. Surely the brains on here could come up with some ideas. JJH

Reactions: MtM

Back
Top Bottom