Ride Magazine Andalusian High Miler

Mumba

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,Looking for advice from anyone who has experience of this 10 day Ride Magazine tour please.We have lots of experience in Spain but not much on some of these suggested routes .Day 1 from Santander to Burgos done many times but after that nothing to base whether this would be a good tour.
Normally we just link together the green and yellow bendy parts on a Michelin map but did some Ride stuff last year which was ok
Any thoughts most welcome,thank you

That’ll be this one:

c2a2cca790731a02eeb5fbee94b4a297.png

https://www.ride.co.uk/routes-content/spain-and-portugal-total-touring

The blurb reads OK and RiDE usually put together some decent’ish ideas, based on a broad cross-section of their readerships’ expectations and mixed abilities. Give it a go and report back. If nothing else, it’s an instant holiday.

Yes the planning is done ,thanks for your help as usual.

Will do, not going until September but wanted to check out each stage next to another source to ensure it was worth doing.Thanks again.

I would look closely at the routes and see if there are any sections of main road that can potentially be swapped for more interesting or twisty back roads.

The Ride Routes in areas I know well often skip some little gems, possibly as they suspect a full dress Harley or Goldwing two up with a nervous rider might struggle, or Feddy Fireblade may write in and complain it was too bumpy, although they did once feature Col di Sampeyre in an article (day ride not a tour) which surprised me as that is a bit rough in parts, I really like it, but the Mrs did not enjoy some of the more "interesting" sections.

Their days are often a bit short compared to what me and the Mrs can do quite comfortably, again, mybe because people who have never previously got beyond their own postcode may find it hard work.

It sounds as if you have travveled a bit, so do some due diligence and see if you can improve the routes / tailor them more for your preferences, looks like an interesting trip.

Thanks Rasher,yes that was the main purpose of my enquiry.Have had mixed experience with Ride routes .Think the old Michy maps will have to come out

Since Simon Weir’s departure, RiDE magazine have all but given up publishing ideas and suggestions for routes in mainland Europe, concentrating instead on the safer bet of the UK to appeal to its readership. By its very nature, the magazine had to play it safe, not least as they had no preconceived idea as to the expectations of their likely audience, much beyond the inevitable “Great roads wanted, mate” as seen so regularly on these pages, often requesting routes of over 1000 miles.

That being said, the north>south>north route (unlinked in the opening post *) does, if nothing else, give some ideas and - maybe most helpfully of all - some reasonable ideas of the distances and times involved, two things people on this site often ignore or forget when faced with long distances. Use the route suggestions as a base and fine tune them to your own aspirations. Or just ride them as they stand.

Whether you will get a response from anyone who has ridden the RiDE route exactly, remains to be seen. Plenty of people have done the north > south > north journey though. Whether they’ll bother to look at the RiDE routes (which requires some effort on their part, on your behalf) remains to be seen. Maybe a better alternative might be for you to put your ideas down in words and let people comment?

Hi all, last June I did a round-route of Spain with a fellow Gser, however, we went from Dieppe across France, round Spain and back again.
I'm re-doing this route this year with my son on my bike but with some tweaks.
Notably, I will be including a section favoured by bikers not far from Cuenca called "The Silent Route".
Now I don't know how to view those gpx files, so whoever is looking at them, make sure that's on the itinerary.
When I have a look at my diary again, I'll look at another section in Aragon that led down into Andalucía to that very Baza place and post here, it really was something!
Sorry I can't see directly that route, it would make this easier.

Here are the routes of RiDE magazine’s 10 day jaunt.

No doubt the OP would welcome all and any criticism of each route and the overall 10 day package.

<iframe style="border:none;overflow:hidden" width="100%" height="562" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allow="geolocation" src="https://www.myrouteapp.com/embed/map?folder=8128777&lang=en&user=25131&fitmarkers=true&origin=routes&unit=mi"></iframe>

Hi all, last June I did a round-route of Spain with a fellow Gser, however, we went from Dieppe across France, round Spain and back again.
I'm re-doing this route this year with my son on my bike but with some tweaks.
Notably, I will be including a section favoured by bikers not far from Cuenca called "The Silent Route".
Now I don't know how to view those gpx files, so whoever is looking at them, make sure that's on the itinerary.
When I have a look at my diary again, I'll look at another section in Aragon that led down into Andalucía to that very Baza place and post here, it really was something!
Sorry I can't see directly that route, it would make this easier.

Thank you for the heads-up over the ‘Silent Route’

https://thesilentroute.com/en/

What would be really helpful to the OP and to anyone thinking of doing the same, would be if you could share your entire route, along with the tweaks you made. Similarly, some reasonable estimate as to how long the Spanish segment took you, along with anything else.

:beerjug:

Thank you for the heads-up over the ‘Silent Route’

https://thesilentroute.com/en/

What would be really helpful to the OP and to anyone thinking of doing the same, would be if you could share your entire route, along with the tweaks you made. Similarly, some reasonable estimate as to how long the Spanish segment took you, along with anything else.

:beerjug:

Of course Wapping, I'll be happy to do it, just have to collate all the info.

More or less tweaked round trip of Spain

First off, I should say I'm not very techy so this will be a list of sorts of places Andy and I did see and pass through last year and felt they were mentionable with respect to the OP, with some tweaks as I'm doing the route with tweaks this year.
We got there by starting in Dieppe, travelling across France and entering across the Pyrenees south of Pau.

I should preface the list by saying: though mountainous, there is a bit of flat lands to cross between mountains, and this of course can be boring because of the heat.

Our first stop, for lunch was in Huesca, we got there by Jaca and Sabinanigo. We got there by travelling on the A23 in order to cross some of the 'prairie' lands quickly as it was 42 degrees.
From there, on same major road to get to an intersection of Belchite, which we didn't go and see, but I advise that it's worth seeing if you have an interest in historic monuments (BTW, it's twinned with Oradour-Sur-Glane in France as of 2017, which in historic terms is not dissimilar, but different war) also, a part of Pan's Labyrinth was filmed in its church.

https://belchite.es/galeria-pueblo-viejo/

Just after this is a tiny town called Lécera. There is a hotel behind a petrol station which I can recommend called Rincón del Cierzo, very cute little place with covered but out door pool.
https://www.google.com/travel/searc...d=0CAAQ5JsGahcKEwjQqrGE0NT-AhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQBQ

So far, apart from Belchite, there's not a lot to see, but shortly improves a lot.

We went South along the A223, via Andorra, not the Pyrenees one, then A1402 and A1416 till it joins the N-211, but here's going to be my first tweak- The Silent Route.
I will go southeast on the A-1702 (The Silent Route) and shortly after the Goat Statue and silent route sign, there's a turn to the right which leads to Montoro de Mezquita and the Pasarelas de Valloré (in my opinion, defo worth a look).
https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trai...a-circular-desde-montoro-de-mezquita-44165025

In fairness, my note taking last year was so bad, we may have done some of the silent route however, my Google history tells me that we didn't.

Anyway, the scenic Silent route continues to Puerto de Cuarto Pelado where we will head west on the A226 via Villaroya de Los Pinares (nice bar for lunch) and onto Teruel on this same road A226.
Next installment, I'll detail Teruel-Abarracín and on through Cuenca national park.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...d40.7889051!4d-0.509441!10e5!16s/g/11j4d_5vt9

It's worth noting that from around Andorra and Alcorisa, there's no petrol stations all along the silent route and the next on route is about 120km down the road near Monteagudo del Castillo.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom