Roadlok or Disc Lock....???

BikerMan

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am considering buying a Roadlok, or a Disc Lock security device for my 2018 GS.

I would be interested to hear Forum member's views, advice, and/or recommendations on the advantages and/or disadvantages of one or the other, or indeed both.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Andy

If your in a position to buy a roadlock and its compatible, id go for that, that way they have to cutyour caliper off to move your bike

I think roadlock is expensive for what it is.
they both do the same thing, only one is permanently attached.
that said, you still have to lug the pin around, so your not gaining much.

Id buy a decent disc lock.

Roadlok is more trouble than it’s worth .
Has issues with it on two different bikes with the holes/pin not lining up . Never again .

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk

Roadlok is more trouble than it’s worth .
Has issues with it on two different bikes with the holes/pin not lining up . Never again .

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk
Move the wheel round a bit lol ;)

I had a roadlok and found it a real faff to use. It was really fiddly to get the key in, I would push the spring loaded pin in place but not engage it in the disk hole. If the bike moved it would engage itself, I did this as I found it damn near impossible to remove the pin once engaged through the disk. I also lost the pin as it’s small and easy to misplace. Yes it’s harder to remove than a disc lock but if they want the bike they are having it regardless of the lock, so for me a disk lock is a much more convenient and easier to use option.

Roadlok.

Had one on my last 2 KTMs. Lock got a bit sticky once in nearly 10 years. i just blew some lube in with an airline and it's been fine ever since.

Pin goes in a compartment it the fairing, so I always have the use of the lock.

If you come down on the side of Roadlock I may have one to sell soon. I used it on a 2017 1200GS but it’s currently on my V85TT. Different spacers obvs. but I probably still have the ones I used on. The GS.

In my experience disc locks are a waste of money. I had two on my two month old gsa and the scum bags just cut the discs.

I now use two chains on the rear wheel, 3 Apple AirTags and an alarmed brake lever lock….

I have one on my DDX. Fiddly to use at first but gets easier with more use and practise.

I'd say it's more secure than a normal disk lock for the reasons Santa gave, however, I'd still use a chain (to something) if I was leaving it somewhere I wasn't sure of.

Handy as you'll always have it with you. I keep the pin in a bar bag.

If its parked at home i use disc locks and chains with ground anchors, away from home and i need to walk away from the bike i'd just use a good disc lock and maybe go for one with an alarm if its not too heavy. My main deterrent is to try and park somewhere that's not enticing to scumbags if i leave the bike.

I like the Roadlok for convenience, never had any dramas with the pin engagement. Handy when touring, my bike also gets chained to street furniture etc.

I enjoyed the roadlok on my KTM. When the pin is engaged less chance of moving off and dropping the bike, depending on the disk lock I guess. I had mine fitted to the left hand side calliper which I always found a faff.

Roadlok every time. More difficult to cut through than a regular disc lock and more convenient to. Having said that, I always put the bike on the centre stand and set the pin by manually turning the wheel, otherwise the pin can be really difficult to remove if you set it by moving the bike.

Hi all,

I am considering buying a Roadlok, or a Disc Lock security device for my 2018 GS.

I would be interested to hear Forum member's views, advice, and/or recommendations on the advantages and/or disadvantages of one or the other, or indeed both.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Andy

The easier something is to use, the more likely you are to use it.

A Roadlok is permanently fitted to the bike, whilst a disc lock has to be fished out from wherever you keep it.

Both use dedicated keys.

Some users find Roadloks fiddly to use and / or that they fill with crud / corrosion. Disc locks are easy to use and stay clean.

To forcibly remove a Roadlok requires the disc to be cut. The same would be true of a decent disc lock.

A Roadlok will only fit a radial calliper and only one bike at a time, sometimes requiring the purchase of alternative spacers. A disc lock can be used on many different bikes.

To some, a Roadlok looks sexy, whilst a disc lock looks a bit dull.

Using a Roadlok or a disc lock, means that the bike is simply secured to itself. Neither will prevent the bike being lifted away easily.

A Roadlok is a little north of £200. A decent disc lock can be had for closer to £120.

A good quality U-lock is similarly priced to either a Roadlok or a disc lock, depending on specification. U-locks are also easy to use, with the possible additional advantage of being relatively easy to attach a chain to. Some U-locks are very difficult / time consuming to cut and all but impervious to hammer / crowbar attacks.

Owners and users of Roadloks, disc locks and U-locks will report that their bike has never been stolen. That is due to the pound of butter in their fridges.

Owners and users of Roadloks, didc locks and U-locks will report that, under varying circumstances, their bikes have been stolen. These people neglected the pound of butter in their fridge.

In short, OP, there is no all conquering answer to your question. Just buy whichever method of security you fancy most * and, above all, use it but don’t neglect the butter nor the fridge.

* For what it’s worth, I have never owned a Roadlok but I have owned and used both disc locks and U-locks. I am a firm believer in the pound of butter in the fridge.

Last edited:
Many thanks to everyone for all your comments (including the pound of butter! 😂).

I have taken them all on board, giving me food for thought (not butter!).

I do like the notion that you cannot move off with the Roadlok engaged, unlike a fitted disk lock with the potential to cause damage - ask me how I know (many, many, years ago 😂).

However, I am slightly concerned about the issue of 'crud' getting into the Roadlok lock over time, potentially causing issues when you are all alone on your solo European tour with a seized lock! - I suppose the easy answer to that one is preventative maintenance!

Thanks again to all who contributed.

Just buy a decent ABBUS disc lock .. you really can't go wrong with one of them.

However, I am slightly concerned about the issue of 'crud' getting into the Roadlok lock over time,
Once or twice a year I give the lock a spray of WD40 - in my experience the issue of 'crud' becomes known over a period of days/weeks, it doesn't catch you by surprise.

Back
Top Bottom