Satnav Mount Adapter - Wunderlich versus 3DAM

Chisurz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Evening all - there appear to be a couple of options of converters to mount a Garmin Zumo XT on to the factory-fitted (and snappily titled) BMW Navigation Preparation thingy that comes with the R1250GS. Wunderlich being one of them (
Part No. 21179-002) and 3DAM E-navXT being another. Anyone got an opinion as to why which one is better than the other?

I have the 3DAM for my Garmin Zumo XT and it works just fine. But the Wunderlich does have more features, so that would be a plus point, also you could also use a TomTom with it. With the 3DAM you need a different unit. Neither work with the wounder wheel... Not sure if you could lock the satnav onto the Wunderlich one.

The 3DAM on mine stopped charging the XT after not using the nav for around 6 months or so. Manually pushed the pins in a few times and fine again.

One thing I needed to do was wedge a piece of pushbike inner tube in to the fitting to stop it moving - only moved slightly but enough to irritate.

I bought the non-locking one as I always remove the nav when parked up.

I have seen a couple of posts saying the 3DAM mount is shite - but not the explanation as to why.

The 3DAM on mine stopped charging the XT after not using the nav for around 6 months or so. Manually pushed the pins in a few times and fine again.

One thing I needed to do was wedge a piece of pushbike inner tube in to the fitting to stop it moving - only moved slightly but enough to irritate.

I bought the non-locking one as I always remove the nav when parked up.

I have seen a couple of posts saying the 3DAM mount is shite - but not the explanation as to why.
...which is why I'm asking the question... ...plus I haven't seen the Wunderlich one reviewed by anyone here just yet.

Thank you for the detail.

I'm on my 2nd 3dam,first stopped charging just after a year,mate of minr went through 3 replacements in the first year due to non charging issues

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

Evening all - there appear to be a couple of options of converters to mount a Garmin Zumo XT on to the factory-fitted (and snappily titled) BMW Navigation Preparation thingy that comes with the R1250GS. Wunderlich being one of them (
Part No. 21179-002) and 3DAM E-navXT being another. Anyone got an opinion as to why which one is better than the other?
Are they not exactly the same thing? Wunderlich just buying the part in.

Wunderlich do the same elsewhere, such as the SatNav locking device for the R1200RT LC bought in from Oldtimers in Slovakia.

Its well documented here. The 3Dam is not very good. Im sure some will hail its greatness. But in truth, Its unreliable, and will drop its connection sooner or later. And it's a mess visually. Do a search here, Sat Nav Mounts. you'll find lots of reviews.

Reactions: Wiz
I've used the Wunderlich adapter for the last 2 years or so and can happily report no issues. It has two power sockets at the side and am using one with a short curly (yes!) lead to power the Zumo XT. XT doesn't lock to the adapter so removal is the only anti-theft method

I'm happy so far with my 3DAM mount after a year plus of ownership, each to their own.

Appreciate all the feedback - thank you all. I'll see how many €£$ I have left once Christmas bills have all unravelled and go from there! Once the SatNav is sorted I'll move on to get something protect that big springy thing in front of the rear wheel from all that dirty stuff the back tyre kicks up...

My 3dam on my GSA hasn't powered the garmin from the off, switching on the ignition and it powers up the XT but it then goes flat within 25 minutes. Not getting any power annoying for a brand new purchase.

Its well documented here. The 3Dam is not very good. Im sure some will hail its greatness. But in truth, Its unreliable, and will drop its connection sooner or later. And it's a mess visually. Do a search here, Sat Nav Mounts. you'll find lots of reviews.

You are quite correct sir! This is the reason: https://www.ukgser.com/community/threads/garmin-xt-not-being-charged.399433/post-5478998

The Wunderlich would seem like a better choice, it looks better quality but I've not tried it. If you buy the XT2 3DAM mount (for an XT2, obs) it should be more reliable because there is no need for a voltage reg in it.

If you're not using the OEM solution, I don't see any reason to keep the mount and add an adapter.

Much neater to buy a specific bracket for the XT - my choice was MotoPumps, but there's plenty of choice.

Back
Top Bottom