Scottish Petition - Take Another Look - RM Riders

Jazbee

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Take Another Look petition , started by Royal Marine Riders Arbroath in memory of a few guys, including Python (Jon), who was a member on here.....

Last edited:
I'm happy to sign this but I'd rather there was a review of the sentencing guidelines recently issued to the Scottish courts. It seems to me that they don't sufficiently reflect the recent changes re vulnerable road users. Bikers remember are categorised as such.

In my opinion, sheriffs should be required to bring in a sentence of imprisonment for any case where careless driving results in the death of a vulnerable road user. Where the Sheriff decides otherwise, including a suspended sentence, he/she should be required to itemise the mitigation they considered in setting that aside.

Driving standards are piss poor across the board these days (including bikes) and given the lack of any real road traffic police enforcement, we need a far stronger deterrent message.

I doubt the scottish government will need to actually do much to achieve their target of reducing motorcycle accidents by 30% by 2030, as it’s quite likely there will be 30% less bikes on the road by then.

I'm happy to sign this but I'd rather there was a review of the sentencing guidelines recently issued to the Scottish courts. It seems to me that they don't sufficiently reflect the recent changes re vulnerable road users. Bikers remember are categorised as such.

In my opinion, sheriffs should be required to bring in a sentence of imprisonment for any case where careless driving results in the death of a vulnerable road user. Where the Sheriff decides otherwise, including a suspended sentence, he/she should be required to itemise the mitigation they considered in setting that aside.

Driving standards are piss poor across the board these days (including bikes) and given the lack of any real road traffic police enforcement, we need a far stronger deterrent message.
Got to say I agree with you 100% on this Peter - that’s quite rare for me!

Back
Top Bottom