Servicing paralever

redsoul

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Got back from the gentlemans weekend saturday evening (should have been afternoon but sat by roadside for 2hrs waiting for the AA after i got a very large lump of metal stuck in my rear tyre 5 miles from home) and decided to do a minor service on the bike after having done 500 miles since top-end rebuilt.
Wasnt entirely sure how to go about it so thought i would just replace shims,"o"rings,gasket, the way they were already so that done i looked on the net lol.
First thing i noticed was that on my bike the metal shim was put on after the "o" ring against the cover and not before.Not sure what difference this will make but now i dont know what else was done wrong so have ordered another gasket kit and will measure the cannister depth as well.
Only put this post up as have been told in the past to just put things back the way they were.This i think is only true if it was put together right in the first place.

I've always seen and always put the metal shim in first then the large rubber 'O' ring. When cover tightened up it squashes the 'O' ring againgst the shim :thumb2

Yep...have ordered replacement shim,gasket and "o" ring and will be doing it all over again when parts arrive :blast

Hi Redsoul, sorry to hear of your missadventure on the way home, I think it was me that said to you to always put it back as it came out but as kenny says the shim goes in first, its job is to stop the metal tube that the oil filter fits into cutting into the o ring. The problem is they dont all have this arrangement, but as both the shim and the o ring were in there, but the wrong way round hopefully no damage has been done, its a good thing you found sooner rather than latter. It is always a good idea to replace the O ring as a damaged one could cause a lose of oil pressure and a very expensive repair bill.

The paralever has a lipped canister and the shim is only there to compress the 0 ring, so it wouldnt make a lot of difference to the oil pressure if it goes in last, but sealing the cover wont be as good.

There shouldnt be a gasket on these covers, the 0 ring is supposed to make the seal.

The important thing is that the O ring gets compressed - the old one should look decidedly square when it comes out.

A check on Google should get you all the information on setting the compression, but the important thing is that as the bikes get older the lipped canisters are moving further away from the outer cover, and replacing things the way they were previously is not be the correct advice if the canister has moved.

Well i am a lucky boy....dropped oil again,took out new "0" ring i put in on sunday and it hadnt been squashed hardly at all so not a very good seal.

Measured cannister depth and i have 3.5mm so put shim in correctly this time,put in yet another new "o" ring and didnt put the gasket in.

Strange thing is the seal i took out on sunday was squared off fine where it had made the seal....so glad i decided to check and didnt run the bike.

Back
Top Bottom