Street Pilot 2610

mad-dawg

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Used my GPS for the first time in anger for a jaunt round France.

Spent ages plotting routes using Mapspace and uploaded fine to GPS.

Route from Harrogate to Tunnel worked fine (didnt need it but thought it would be a good way to get used to the box of tricks)

Calais to Leper, again worked fine, Belgian road was shocking, concrete sections with poor/missing overbanding, resulting in exciting tramlining.

Leper to Reims, this was where the trouble started, if I went off route the GPS announced off route, recalculating, error can't recalculate.

This was pretty unhelpful in the pissing rain on a motorway when there are 4 exits in a row and none of the road numbers/ destinations on the signs match what the GPS displayed. The only way to get round this was to get back on the motoway go back towards Leper off at the next junction and re-boot the GPS and try another one of the 4 exits.

I know I should have had a copy of the route taped to the tank, I know I should have got my shiny new Michelin map out in the rain.

The rain stopped at the French border but the GPS switched tactics to the issue below.

Anyway back to the question is this a software/GPS issue or have I done something naughty with the route ?

Whilst on holiday if i programmed a destination and let it find its own route it seemed fine, but did and still does, suddenly go to just a map display with no speed/distance/time to destination/turn data.

If I reboot and resume route all the info is displayed again until it does the same again.

So is it on its way out? should I cut my losses and buy a new one?
Is it operator error? (very likely).

As an aside, on the way back I wrote a detailed route as back up, sealed it in a plastic bag and taped it to the tank. My taping skills need work because it disappeared over my shoulder near Laon.

Whilst on holiday if i programmed a destination and let it find its own route it seemed fine, but did and still does, suddenly go to just a map display with no speed/distance/time to destination/turn data.

If I reboot and resume route all the info is displayed again until it does the same again.

I had this display problem years ago & solved it by turning off the sensor for the remote control.

1. Press the Menu button.
2. Select "Options"
3. Select the General tab.
4. Press the Menu button again.
5. You will now see the option to disable the remote sensor. Select it.

How old are the maps you are using? & which Motorway were you on? Maybe you could have turned off the recalculation setting & followed your chosen route.

Hi Ian
I will try the remote sensor thing.

Maps are 2008 so that doesn't help.
It was in Belgium A19/E403 junctio, GPS said take slip road but that just spits you off on one of a number of wrong roads unless you follow it to the end where it rejoins A19 and puts you on the correct road. (hindsight and a map are wonderful)

Dont understand why it would/could not re-calculate.

I just painted the sensor section black on my 2610- stopped it doing all sorts of strange things.

Try openstreetmaps for up to date (and more detail than Garmin) maps that work on the 2610. It's still one of the best bike GPSs' , ok it won#t play music and make you coffee but as a Sat Nav it works very well.

John

The road layout/junctions may have changed since 2008. I used a 2610 in France last year and I chose no when it asked to recalculate.

My routes were provided by a friend who used up to date maps, my maps were 2008 like yours.

The remote sensor is affected by sunlight & I think it zooms into the map.

Back
Top Bottom