Surely the joys of the earlier Himalayan were….

. the new model certainly doesn't have the looks of the old

its in a very fetching blue

View attachment 292958
View attachment 292957

It certainly doesn’t .
Looks so much better , especially in black /yellow/gold (IMHO)

900c278b4c4f46aedea46d209d815f42.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it actually written off by an insurer? Or was it run into something fairly hard, bending the forks, not claimed on and sold on with bent forks and ‘no other damage’?

Or was it ‘written off’ by an insurer, in cooperation with a dealership, who picked up a cheap bike to flog on?
yes written off so now a cat N ie no structural damage . I brought it via the insurance companies outlet the dreaded 4th dimension :oops:

It certainly doesn’t .
Looks so much better , especially in black /yellow/gold (IMHO)

900c278b4c4f46aedea46d209d815f42.jpg

hmmmm not so sure and for me it wouldn't be the black n gold probably the brown or white . the more I see it the more I like the 450 I just hope I won't have too many little niggles that the 411 has often suffered from. I cant see them making something that's going to be less reliable as they must have learnt one would hope from the outgoing model . getting the electrics reliable would be my main concern.
I really hope its a big success I expect it will be a future bike for me but as it stands I don't have a job for it as have a shed full as it is and nothing is getting ridden for one reason or another unfortunately . hey hoo

I bought my E4 knowing it’s under powered and has iffy brakes, see no reason to change for the new shiny thing. But I have a big shiny bike for the big rides. I’m also adverse to buying a new model for at least a year after launch, let others do the beta testing

hmmmm not so sure and for me it wouldn't be the black n gold probably the brown or white . the more I see it the more I like the 450 I just hope I won't have too many little niggles that the 411 has often suffered from. I cant see them making something that's going to be less reliable as they must have learnt one would hope from the outgoing model . getting the electrics reliable would be my main concern.
I really hope its a big success I expect it will be a future bike for me but as it stands I don't have a job for it as have a shed full as it is and nothing is getting ridden for one reason or another unfortunately . hey hoo

Not seen a brown .
Colours at Milan were Black/ yellow, white or grey .

Not seen a brown .
Colours at Milan were Black/ yellow, white or grey .

its called Kaza Brown similar to the old 660 Tenere brown judging by the pics

I like that they have made the seat nice and wide on the two piece one. im sure id go for that over the slimmer rally seat

RE_Himalayan_452_edited_3_203df33150.jpg

Like others - new bike looks fine but I have zero plans to change my last of the E4s.

200-mile 1-stop commute at a steady 65-70 while sipping fuel - I think is a great simple little motorcycle. I really enjoy it.

Check the yokes
well I need to amend my reply. they did indeed look fine but when removing the fork legs was rather difficult I thought maybe something was up. when I slipped in the new (secondhand) forks in they were about 10mm out of upright so new bottom yoke required. luckily the same guy I got the forks from had one so now all back together and looking great.

I must say it is very refreshing to work on such a simple bike , I have a feeling ill keep this longer than my other ones. (y) :clap

There is definitely a lot to be said of the current / outgoing Himmy. Such a simple and easy to home service machine that is perfectly happy in real world road and trail conditions. Yes the new one seems to be a big step up and well done RE on that but I think the joy of that simplicity will be lost.
I'm a fan of the brand and seriously considering adding an E4 Himmy to the garage..... I would get a custom seat from Nostalgia Upholstery though 😄

I would get a custom seat from Nostalgia Upholstery though
The only reason I changed mine. I could live with the lack of speed but my lanky frame was just not built for the early Himmie. I think they'll hang on to the engine/frame for the SCRAM. After all, it's a relatively new engine and they'll want to re-coup their investment.

knocking out the steering head races on another simple bike "the airhead", namely an R100GS. is actually harder than it should be as its difficult to tap them out due there being no edge to walk as both top and bottom sit in a resess . On the mighty Himalayan no such problems all one needs is a long fat screwdriver and a hammer/mallet, a few wacks here and there and they're out. very easy indeed.

thought id add a picture as its a very handsome bike even with one wheel and I love this glacier blue

:love:

IMG_5586.jpeg

I like my E4 model for riding in the mountains, on and offroad, or just riding when not in a hurry… This new launch will likely lead me to get tubeless wheels for it and done.
Interestingly, Alex of Nomadic Knights (Mr RE fleet) has ordered new Triumphs

I can't see any reason why the addition of water cooling and a little more power will make the Himi any less reliable, it's progress. I wouldn't call a water cooled DL650 unreliable or that difficult to home service and the gen 1 is about as basic as bikes get, ditto with other Japanese basic single and twin cylinder w/c bikes. Not so sure on competition as much of the 125 up to 650 competition is Chinese, and I whilst I wouldn't not buy a bike using Chinese components (there's no way to avoid it) I will never buy a Chinese made bike, full stop, due to their human rights abuses and the whole Tibet thing. As another poster wrote, "they can sod off". The other thing putting me off Chinese bikes is a bike mechanic released a youtube vid a while back where he'd tested oil from a selection of bikes at their second service and almost all the Chines branded bikes had "unacceptable" levels of metal fragments in the oil indicating sloppy tolerances and poor build quality (and I can't for the life of me remember who it was). The Himi has proved itself in the hugely popular 411, but a surprising number of people do sell them on rather quickly and revert back to touring on something with a little more oomph, except for those using them as second bikes. The new one provides this and hopefully will prove to be every bit as simple to maintain being a relatively simple big single. I had a KTM 640 Duke II for years and despite being in a high state of tune (mine had been fettled), it remained reliable and easy to work on, and that 640 motor was likely more complex than the new 450 Himi.

Back
Top Bottom