The sorry saga of 1200GS/GSA fuel pump controller failures (410 so far)

- When did it happen?
Straight out of the showroom

- Where were you

- bike details (model and year)
R1200GS - 2010 model year
- remedy
new unit to be fitted at 600mile service

- How many days work/holiday did you lose?
Luckily none.

- Were there any incidental costs?
Not yet ?

where were you
Cheshire

Bike details:
R1200GS - 2007 model
breakdown happened summer 08.
New unit fitted by BMW rescue after a 2 hour wait by roadside.
Mechanic just happened to have a new unit in his vehicle!:augie

Via my website...

Hallo, im Oktober 2009 ist meine Benzinpumpe ausgefallen. Ich war imTaurusgebirge in der Türkei. Der Fahrername ist "Roland Kott". Mein Motorrad R1200GS, Erstzulassung 09/2006. Drei Urlaubstage habe ich verloren. Mit BMW stehe ich in Kontakt.
Vielen Dank, viele Grüss

Hello, in October 2009 has failed my fuel pump. I was imTaurusgebirge in Turkey. The driver name is "Roland Kott. My motorcycle R1200GS, Registered 09/2006. Three days off I have lost. I am in contact with BMW.
Thank you, many Grüss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c_30Nn0BWE

Just watched this simple vid clip on a quick / and what appears to be an easy temp fix for the FPC failure.

However this got me asking myself, if it appears that simple to do this repair, what is the real purpose of the FPC, given that when it fails can cause the occasional grief for the GS owner?

(and if it doesn't mess up the thread, how many carry a "repair" cable such as this one?)
thanks

The Canbus decides when the fuel pump needs to have power and the FPC is basically an inverter, converting the CanBus signal which is 5v up to the 12v needed to power the fuel pump.

At least this is what the BMW recovery guy said.

Hi Tim,

We have had two RT's on the fleet that have both been recovered from the side of the road with a failed fuel solenoid.
one '08 and one '58. Both failed in the summer of 2009. Not GS's I know, but can't think why the fuelling would be any different.

Giles. (kent police)

The Canbus decides when the fuel pump needs to have power and the FPC is basically an inverter, converting the CanBus signal which is 5v up to the 12v needed to power the fuel pump.

At least this is what the BMW recovery guy said.

Without anything to go on other than common sense, this would seem an odd way of going about powering the fuel pump.

I would suggest the computer decides when the pump needs to be running fast or slow depending on power demand ( throttle opening) and then talks to the FPC via the can bus. The FPC would then control the amout of power sent to the pump. There's a big power transitor in the FPC which could be used for this, possibly by pulsing the juice on and off at different frequencies to modify the pump speed.

Can-bus is a 5v communications system but it can't provide the current to run any typical automotive electrical components, and even if it could, using an inverter to convert the 5v into 12v would be just plain daft. At least that's what I think. Somone may know for sure:nenau

It's a pity they didn't simply stick to the pump from the 1150's and let it run at full speed all the time and leave out the FPC (F****g Piece of Cr*p) altogether

Without anything to go on other than common sense, this would seem an odd way of going about powering the fuel pump.

I would suggest the computer decides when the pump needs to be running fast or slow depending on power demand ( throttle opening) and then talks to the FPC via the can bus. The FPC would then control the amout of power sent to the pump. There's a big power transitor in the FPC which could be used for this, possibly by pulsing the juice on and off at different frequencies to modify the pump speed.

Can-bus is a 5v communications system but it can't provide the current to run any typical automotive electrical components, and even if it could, using an inverter to convert the 5v into 12v would be just plain daft. At least that's what I think. Somone may know for sure:nenau

It's a pity they didn't simply stick to the pump from the 1150's and let it run at full speed all the time and leave out the FPC (F****g Piece of Cr*p) altogether

Yes, CANBus is just coms, it will only tell the FPC what to do, not provide the power.

You can add me to this list.
In Glasgow 200 miles from home.
Thankfully my 08 is still under warranty and the BMW breakdown chap dried it out and it worked fine after that.
Popping to dealers today to see if they'll replace the part or suggest something as it's very wet at the mo and I don't want to be stuck again (although I'll know what to do).

:)

G

When: 2-2-2010
Where: Glasgow
Name: Workyticket
Bike: 08 1200GSA
Remedy: Dried out at roadside by BMW Breakdown
Time lost: 1.5 Hours

I notice that this is a specific thread to the 1200GS, but I had a fuel pump failure on the M1 my 03 1150GS - are you interested, or should I get my coat?

Cheers,
Fin.

Canbus is a single wire serial comms system.
No power, just comms.

The FPC is a Pulse Wave Modulator (PWM). It pulses 12v to the fuel pump on and off really fast which is a way of controlling the speed of the pump. This is an energy saving technique rather than just having the fuel pump running flat out all the time (which is what you have if you power the pump directly aka the 'workaround').

Tim: I wouldn't take technical advice from a recovery truck driver, if I were you.

Fuel Pump Controllers are most certainly not Submersible

Two to add. RT Rider as well if he isn't on this forum.... = +3

Mates 56 GSA went when out for a run, this was a couple of years ago.
Under warranty so BMW Breakdown/Recovery called.
The guys who came out were non plussed almost like a routine thing to go wrong.

He helped me buy a 05 12RT last year.
Documentation showed that this part had already been replaced.

May I add my 2p worth: hardly surprising these fail they are almost permanently submerged in water. Poor design?

Next time you wash the bike and look at the unit, it's swimming in water, nowhere for it to drain to. Thus accelerating (pun intended) the corrosion of the heatsink and the rest of the module. No doubt made worse if bike is on sidestand and left in the pouring rain.

I keep my one well soaked in ACF50.

RT Rider shows his work around and the fact that a new module has bigger heat sink.

http://www.rtrider.co.uk/R1200RT.html

Why does BMW not do some design mods?
e.g. a cover over it to keep it dry, but still lets the heatsink do its job.
A Goretex cover, like a jam pot cover?? Would keep it dry and let it breathe, but probably not enough air flow.
A plastic cover that clips over, but with small air holes on the nearside of the bike.
A drain hole??

I don't know I'm not that technical but there's got to be something to keep the water out or let it out!!

:nenau
oops sorry been going through some of the comments, jam pot cover already been suggested,
I'll get me coat......

Last edited:
My second failure today. 200 miles yesterday without any problem, no indication of impending doom. Out to the garage this morning, engine spinning fast but nothing.

Took the controller out to bypass and got the meter out, plugged it back in to check and fired first time.

05 bike, so not on the recall list! This pump controller was fitted in March 2008.

When: 12th March 2010
Where: At home
Name: Owen Snell
Bike: 05 R1200GS
Remedy: Messed around and working now, but will take the car and order a new one.
Time lost: 1 hour and missed the MoT appointment.

Another one to list

When 25.03.10
where outside lane M57 junction 2 (late dark and wet)
name Eric Quinn
Bike 07 gsa
Remedy AA home the bike restarted next day took it to bmw southport they replaced unit under extended warranty in 15 minutes the fitter took the time to show me the fault unit was full of water the rubber gasket had been nipped allowing water in
Cost Lost time 1 hour friday night 2 hours saturday morning and 1 pair of underpants (past repair) trying to change lanes on a busy motorway

Fuel pump controller failure

another failure to add to the list..
A 2007 adventure, 19750 kms. stopped without warning on the main duel carriageway from Almeria,Spain. I had to wait just over a hour for assistance.
As the BMW dealership in Almeria no longer deals with bike... even though they continue to sell them... the bike was taken to a local bike shop. I found the reason for breakdown thanks to this `thread`. A new FPC was fitted and the bike runs well. I`ve applied `mastic` around the base of the new unit and also `gaffer tape` around the wire connections. What a crazy design, electrical connections facing upwards and no drain holes. Many thanks to those of you who have taken the time to post photos and solutions.
Regards, Bradley:dragon

Yeehah.

When: 2010/04/21
Where: A406
Name: O C
Bike: 08 R1200GS
Remedy: Called BMW Assist. He had one FPC left! - Phew.
Time lost: Couple of hours.

Having had two cut-outs on the inbound leg of my journey, which was 'solved' by restarting the bike. I'd already decided to pop into a dealer on the way home to have it checked out. On the way home the bike cut-out again so I had to push it up the Staples Corner flyover and free-wheel down the other side to find somewhere safer to stop and call BMW from.

My thanks goes out the drivers on the A406 for not killing me or being upset by my walking speed travelling today.

My bike is outside of the official recall; I'd checked a couple of weeks ago as I'd a suffered cutout about a month ago which generated a couple of FPC errors on the computer.

Couldn't have asked for nicer weather though :)

Editing system is a bit tight, timewise on this site.

Anyhoo.

Mileage at failure: 39.5K

No sign of any corrosion on the FPC.

58 Plate GSA

58 Plate 1200 GSA
32,195 miles

Happened yesterday, turned over and fired a spoon-full of fuel a couple of times, left it in the sun for half an hour, fired up and managed to get home.

Went to start this morning, turned over, fired up with what was sat in the carbs then died. BMW emergency services called, looked in the top of the fuel pump area, pool of water and corroded FPC. Left in the back of a truck about 2 hours ago.

Now who convinced me to swap my trusty beautiful 1150 for a 1200.... :rob

58 Plate 1200 GSA
32,195 miles

Happened yesterday, turned over and fired a spoon-full of fuel a couple of times, left it in the sun for half an hour, fired up and managed to get home.

Went to start this morning, turned over, fired up with what was sat in the carbs then died. BMW emergency services called, looked in the top of the fuel pump area, pool of water and corroded FPC. Left in the back of a truck about 2 hours ago.
:rob

08 plate / 17670 miles

Refused to start this morning after briefly firing. BMW recovery guy said very common issue across different models, he replaced fuel pump controller at home and all now well. apparently part no changed many times over last couple of years, he sounded as frustrated by it, if not more so, than I :(

1200GS Fuel Pump Controller failure

- When did it happen? 28 Dec 2009. Slow speed spill turning bend (on frost). Also required new Lambda Probe and spark plug coil:confused:
- Where were you? Just off the A355 - south off the M40 in S. Bucks
- rider name. DickieB
- bike details (model and year). '06 1200GS - 19,000 miles.
- remedy. Replacement
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? None - reverted to four wheels in icy conds.
- Were there any incidental costs? Diagnosis/call-out charge, otherwise spill related.

Bike limped 2 miles home with red caution/warning flashing.

Diagnoses carried out by Pat Keenan (Camberley based Mobitech: 07779 528715) but needed further confirmation from his pal at Vines, Guildford, due to coincident Llambda Probe issue.

Little did I know that this was such a widespread problem. Pat did though. He recommends carrying spare controller and coil at all times. Were '06 models recalled for replacements?

DickieB

Back
Top Bottom