The Wrong Way Round (Tarka and Peter`s French Ural Adventure)

A great story - and I'm still dying to work out what the running problem is!!

Thanks Finn!
And to the other respondees in my erm...somewhat extended coffee break interval !

Tuesday 18th May 2010 Continued

Okay...so we`re about to roll for the last time abroad.

Today was really going to be a full-on holiday day out on the Urals.
We were only about 100 miles from the Hook of Holland and had all day to do it in.
Looking back on the trip,we could have easily done the return ride from the rally in just the two days that Peter initially had scheduled....after all,we got from the ferry to Bouillon before an early teatime on the first day, and when we were in Verdun we weren`t all that far South of Bouillon.
However, before the trip we had no idea of how Uralling Sur Le Continent was going to be from a traffic and time point of view,and I chose to err on the side of caution and give us an extra day.
In any case,we were on holiday,so why get ourselves 'against the clock' ?

So today we were going to ride from Belgium and along the Western coastline of Holland to the Hook.
Peter had spotted a promising looking and hopefully pleasant ride to the ferry which should avoid big built up areas and most motorways.
This entailed leaving Aalter on the N44 and finding the N58 for Schoondiyke.
Then the N61 for Terneuzen but just before it turning North and using a tunnel under a stretch of water called the 'Westerschelde' to a section of land called 'Zeeland' on the map.
Once out of the tunnel we`d branch left towards Middelburg and hopefully find the small country road to a place called Veere.
If we got this bit right,we could then use a short stretch of N255 and finally join the coastal N57 which went from island to island..and from peninsula to peninsula..all the way to the motorway A15 near Vjaardingen and thence to the Hook for the ferry.

Have a look in an atlas and you`ll see that it looks an interesting and scenic route...I must admit to never having looked at this part of Holland previously and was keen to go exploring!

We stopped for petrol in a town called Maldegem and met a really friendly lady at the cash till....she greeted us in perfect English and asked all about the bikes,and where we were headed,and whence from...and with our coin change she offered a small pile of sweets free of charge.
Similarly,an old guy at the petrol pumps chatted away with us and wished us well.
I marvelled at how friendly and helpful the people were.
Peter replied (with a wry grin), 'See...the Belgians are all lovely people....I don`t know what all the fuss was about.'
I totally agreed with him,even though his comment was perhaps 'ever so slightly' angled at my oaths and invective when I had my freak out yesterday,heh heh.

Some of the first section was fairly wide dual carriageway,with associated fast traffic,and large lorries again.
Once again a large gap developed between Peter`s Ural and mine,even though, and once again,I wasn`t travelling at more than 60-65mph and mostly at that 'sweet spot' of 58-60mph.
(You`re getting closer to finding out the root cause of much of this....but you`re not there yet......)

Around this area we passed a not particularly large sign announcing that we were now in Holland....no form of border crossing control at all.
The only real pointer to being in Holland was Peter`s observation that they seem to run main arterial roads through housing estates.
He was right....as sometimes we`d have houses all around us,and bicycles left,right and centre,so much so that I would think that I`d taken a wrong turning ...and then we`d be back in open countryside again and still on the same road as previously.
Due to the land being mostly flat,on the open stuff he could be seen as an ever diminishing dot in my mirrors......becoming a just visible object on the horizon at times.
We would often be together at traffic lights,and then the process would repeat itself ....especially if I overtook any slow lorries or vans which he wouldn`t pass.
At one time,he appeared to be a radiator ornament on a big lorry as it was so close behind him....and a queue of cars were lined up behind that.

Anyway,we reached the tunel section near Terneuzen....and quite a long tunnel it proved to be.
This probably explained the 5.80 Euro toll we had to pay !!
Actually,I can see the reason,importance and associated costs of building and then using this tunnel because it avoids a rather long trip inland and then along the peninsula (shades of the local Mersey Tunnels for me ! ).
After the tunnel there was a bit of traffic,especially approaching Middelburg where a road bridge was up to allow a boat to pass.
A quick glance at my tank mounted map revealed that the small road for Veere we were hoping to find should be just on the right after this bridge.

And it was!
Peter was as pleased as I was....we could now enjoy our coastal ride.
I must say that this latter part of Middelburg looked very nice in a slightly touristy way...there was a small marina and a selection of shops,restaurants and bars.
A small detour due to this summer`s preoccupation with roadworks and we headed for Veere.
(It was SO tempting to write that we 'veered' right for Veere,but I won`t......).

This was now 'proper' Holland....and very picturesque it was.
Veere could have been a setting for a chocolate box painting.
Raised dykes with roads on top of them...small villages...lots of lakes and waterways......dedicated cyclepaths.... and WINDMILLS !
Yes,we at last saw some proper,traditional windmills.
I`d planned on stopping at the next village to photograph a windmill scene but before I knew it we were on the series of bridges linking all the islands and peninsulas.

I saw a 'cheese-tastic' eatery/ice cream parlour/touristy tat shop where we just had to stop.....it was time for a large tub of chips (and a sausage) for feeding that holiday craving!
We spent a leisurely hour just sitting back and relaxing...plus continuing that ongoing chat about Ural 'over revving' and gearing mods.

Then it was time to get going again....well,for at least another 20km or so...so near were we to the ferry and so much time did we have.

The countryside was so flat you could quite literally see for miles.

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010346Medium.jpg

Peter had an idyllic mental scenario of us stopping at some sand dunes near the sea for a chillout and a short distance further on I espied a turning for a beach.
Now I`m not a sun worshipper or a beach lover,but this turning led to a fantastic place.
It was just past Burgh-Haamstede and on the peninsula of Schouwen.
The photo is a bit dark due to wrong camera settings and bright sun but you can see how clean and endless the beach is.

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010355Medium.jpg

We parked near a snack van (we may just recently have eaten but hey,we were on holiday,remember..) and then I proceeded to goof about attempting a photo of me with Dee.
Looking at the result I don`t know why I didn`t just ask Peter to take one for me.
It`s awful but I`ll give you a giggle by posting it.

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010348Medium.jpg

Peter complained .. light heartedly..about me taking photos of just myself.
That then led to about twenty minutes of moving picnic tables and chairs to mount our cameras and much hilarity running from beeping cameras to bikes in several futile attempts to get some joint photos of us with our bikes.

Well we made right berks of ourselves because we couldn`t see the timer lamps flashing away due to the sunlight and it took a deceptive time to get back on the bikes and attempt to look 'natural' on them.
It`s a bit embarrassing but I`ll give you a giggle by posting some of the results.

This one makes us look like we`re in one of those phoney posed 'action' shots in a catalogue!

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010349Medium.jpg

This one is almost okay but Gawd knows why I appear to be about to part company with Dee...I think I`d just about sat on her when the photo was taken.

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010350Medium.jpg

The laughs continued when I bought us a mega ice cream each (Hey,we`re on holiday,remember....) and the guy running the snack van offered to take a photo for us,heh heh.

A further attempt at an arty photo resulted in an almost surreal picture.
I`d held my camera above my head and taken a picture of myself just to see how it came out.
I didn`t know that Peter was right behind me.....almost spooky !!

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010351Medium.jpg

At least the almost obligatory photo of one`s own bike came out okay!

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010347Medium.jpg

Off road riding ??
Oh yeah.
Yeah..
We do that.....

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010353Medium.jpg

And just in case you were in any doubt of my favourite bikes......

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010357Medium.jpg

Heh heh.....well..I DID say that we were on holiday !!

Finally,it was time to ride the short distance to the Hook of Holland.
Our boat awaited us.

The directions were easy enough......

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010356Medium.jpg

( A bit more to follow...)

Tuesday 18th May 2010 Continued

So,from our soujourn near the beach we set off on the last shortish leg for the Hook of Holland and our ferry back to the UK.
This was the final and lovely coastal N57 up to the start of the Eastbound A15 motorway near Maassluis and Vlaardingen.
Then we`d take the Northbound A4 motorway towards Delft and Den Haag (The Hague) and its motorway tunnel until we met the Westbound A20 for the Hook of Holland and the ferry.

Sounds...and looks on the map...pretty straightforward,eh ?
Especially when you`re on the motorway?

Let me tell you that once on the motorway bit there followed quite a traumatic ride,combined with potential for getting totally off track and possibly even missing your sailing.

Apart from the 'culture shock' of being on busy and fast motorways again,the way they merged together you were joining them from the left.
And if you`re in the right hand,slower,lane of YOUR motorway...you end up being next to the left hand,faster,lane of the motorway you`re merging with.
And if you`re travelling at about 60mph that isn`t a very nice experience.
And if you`re also looking for road numbers,checking the traffic all around you,making sure your slower travelling companion is still with you,and also attempting to get across to the new right hand lane,it makes for quite a challenge!
A slightly scary and potentially hazardous one at that.
Added to the challenge was that although there were signs for the Hook, in the form of Hoek Van Holland, there was no mention of 'Car Ferry'.
All that was shown was a succession of signs referring to 'Haven number so and so' and it wasn`t clear at all where to exit for our ferry.

At a motorway service station where we topped our petrol tanks for the last time abroad,I mentioned the lack of clear signing to Peter.
He seemed to recall a sign saying 'Haven 900' or so when we got off the boat and as the sign numbers we`d passed were decreasing I thought he said to keep going and not turn off at any Hook signs and then we`d be straight into the port.

So when we got going again that`s what I did and before I knew it there were no signs for the Hook and only ones for Delft or Den Haag.
We conferred and the mission to find 'Haven 900' was agreed on,and we did an about turn at a set of traffic lights.....much to the chagrin of numerous lorry and car drivers.

The 900 numbered sign and its junction hove into view and we continued into a very bright and low sunset.
So bright and low that all the roadsigns were reduced to black silhouettes and were only just about legible if you slowed and shielded your eyes with a raised hand as you passed them.

Finally,and stupidly late (as in,signed very late on with no early 'lead in' ), we saw a sign for 'England' and after a mile or so further,another one for the ferry.

As Peter later said,the Hook of Holland isn`t really a major port,but the poor signing with its confusing nature caused unnecessary and avoidable stress at and I`m sure could lead to someone going adrift and maybe even having a mishap......certainly so in darkness or heavy rain.

Whoops of joy were emitted as we rolled up to the check in !!!!

Peter had lost or misplaced his ferry ticket but the wonders of Internet Booking and electronic ticketing meant there was no problem at all once his passport was handed over.

We then rode to the Passport Control/Immigration hut and for the very first time in over 25 years of going abroad on motorbikes I was asked to remove my helmet.
This surprised me,especially as I was wearing an open faced helmet.
In years gone by I have been in full faced road helmets,even full faced motocross helmets with peaks,and only occasionally flip front helmets,and never been asked to take them off.
Still,only having to do that makes a pleasant change from being treated like cattle or criminals at airports where you have to empty pockets,remove footwear,can`t carry certain items,etc etc.

And then we were aboard our ferry!

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010359Medium.jpg

A surly deckhand shrugged his shoulders and skulked away when I refused a tiedown for Dee.
She was parked in gear with the parking brake applied.
She wasn`t going to roll anywhere and just as I said on the HSS when sailing to Ireland a couple of years ago,if the crossing is rough enough to tip a combo over,we`ll all be going down to the seabed alongside her.
Today`s deckhand was just as unamused by this as the Irish guy was,but Peter and I had a chuckle,heh heh.

Here`s today`s odometer reading for all those who`ve been devotedly following our progress and recording it on their maps......

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010358Medium.jpg

Off we went to our cabins to change out of our bike gear and get freshened up.
You simply cannot beat getting a shower and having a change of clothes after a day on the bike....and walking about the ferry without your bike gear on is so much more comfortable.
Our cabins were next to each other,and Peter shook my hand and congratulated me on getting us pretty much from point to point across Europe and back with no real drama and no incidents.
We shared a couple of bottles of beer we were carrying in our 'boat bags' and agreed to a bit of a rest prior to meeting up in the bar.

The reason for that should be self explanatory...............

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010152Medium.jpg

Yes...just as our first sailing outwards,it was time for a few Murphy`s!

We managed a few Murphy`s while looking out over the Hook of Holland and the encroaching darkness...dusk turned to night and the stars and dockside lights twinkled away.
Tiredness was encroaching too.....the sea was calm as a mill pond and it looked like being a smooth crossing as we staggered to our cabins.

Tomorrow we`d be back in the UK.

( To be continued one more time......)

Fantastic RR Tarka and one I shall bookmark for future reading/reference/ideas :thumb2
just out of curiosity, what kind of fuel economy do you get from Dee & Skaya?

Mick

Thanks Buellzebub!

Fuel consumption naturally varies with use and loading but both Dee and Skaya return fuel consumption between about 38mpg and 45mpg.
Dee can actually be a bit more economical than Skaya,even at about a 10mph higher comfortable cruising speed.

......................................................................................................................................

Wednesday 19th May 2010

The onboard tannoy crackled into life at 6am to announce our forthcoming disembarkation onto British soil in an hour`s time.
I was up and about just prior to this and was emerging from a refreshing shower and ready for a light breakfast.
Incidentally,the boat didn`t take from 10.30pm the night before until 7am today to make the crossing.....it had berthed quite a while before this.

I`d decided to use up the last few Euros that had on me,so that precluded 'investing' another twelve and a half Euros for a cooked breakfast like on the outbound crossing...besides which,I wasn`t quite ready for a full scoff yet.

So I went to our previous night`s seating area and got a nice window seat to eat my five and a bit Euros worth (the 'worth' bit is debatable but that`s what it cost..) of cereal,youghurt,banana and a coffee.

It was looking like being yet another fine day for our homewards journey.

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010360Medium.jpg

I chomped and slurped away while gazing at my map to sort out a nice cross country route for me.....seeing as Peter and I would be taking different routes home after the first few miles.
He would be heading North and then North East whereas I would be travelling North West and roughly diagonally across from Harwich to the Wirral.

Peter joined me for his light breakfast and we had a chat about the great time we`d had while away,and also about his plan to experiment with his Ural final drive and maybe an aftermarket taller top gear that he`d read about.
I was still a bit confused as to why he so felt the need for this.
Okay,I`ve ridden a Ural 750 combo which was fitted with the taller solo gearing and it does improve open road cruising without compromising acceleration too much,but I`d never felt a problem with Dee being undergeared or felt her to be over revving.
Nor have I felt this to be so while travelling on my 650 Ural,either.
I still put it down to him maybe using his big Guzzi or his Ural solo more than his combo and that he was noticing the difference while we were away.

Conversation turned to our routes home.
We once more and very definately wanted to avoid main trunk roads and motorways...they would be busy at this early hour and being back in Britain they`d probably be busy at any time with all the nose to tail manic van drivers and incompetent car drivers that blight our roads.
There was no hurry to get home,and this was still a day of our holiday,so we wanted to enjoy it.
We decided for the first bit to backtrack on our outwards route to Harwich.
(Time for the maps to come out again,all those who`ve traced our routes so far...and apologies to those not interested or any foreign readers without a UK atlas)
This would be a very short bit of the A120 until we turned onto the B1352 and the lovely scenic route alongside the River Stour through Bradfield and New Mistley,then Mistley and into Manningtree.
Then we`d take the B1070 to Hadleigh where we would part company and make our seperate ways home.

I`d decided to call in on Mick Cross at MPC Ural near Lutterworth on my way back as I hadn`t seen him for a while,and I could also get a new rear tyre fitted on Dee as hers was decidely borderline now.
Additionally,this would provide an almost exactly midway stopping point and I could get a good all day breakfast at the Morrisons supermarket in Lutterworth.

So,from Hadleigh I would take the A1071 and A134 towards Sudbury and then B1064 and a bit of A1092 to Cavendish and Clare.
At Clare the B1063 would take me towards Newmarket and over the boring and busy A14 which I`d wanted to avoid and on towards Soham.
Just before Soham the A1123 would take me towards St. Ives and Huntingdon (which again would be busy) but I`d avoid them by turning at Earith onto the B1050 for Somersham becoming the B1040 for Ramsay.
Then the B660 and a couple of minor lanes into Oundle.
From Oundle the A427 would take me through Corby and onto Market Harborough.
Finally the rolling cross country A4304 would take me across to Lutterworth for my full cooked breakfast and then a couple of miles more to MPC Ural.

One more photo of the breakfast table and sunrise...... because I like it.

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010361Medium.jpg

I did a quick check of Dee on the car deck...oil was fine,tyres okay apart from the rear tread...map affixed to tank....and it was that anticipation and excitement time as we awaited the opening of the ferry loading door.

The door opened to flood the car deck with sunlight,the ramp lowered and we were back on home turf.
We had to go through another Passport Control but it was a mere formality with no helmet removal this time,added to a quick chat with the Customs guys who were admiring our Urals.

Then away we went...with the dock workers moving cones and opening gated barriers to let Peter and I ride past the queue of cars,caravans and coaches.
Thanks awfully chaps...most decent of you fellows!
This disembarkation was far more pleasant and civilised than the usual 'free for all' melee at Dover and along with the relaxation and good sleep on the ferry may convert me to doing a similar crossing another time.

The agreed ride alongside the River Stour was a delight....empty roads and that lovely coolness of a summer morning prior to the heat building up.
I pulled over in Hadleigh to thank Peter for a good time away and to wish him a safe journey....and then continued with my own route.

Again..it was a pure delight riding the minor roads I`d selected.
Especially when at times I was parallel to the A14 and its speed crazed and far to close to each other traffic ...and likewise on the A1M which I crossed at one point.
I saw lovely peaceful villages and country scenes that would have been missed otherwise.

Once fed and coffeed at Lutterworth`s Morrisons I bimbled along the small lanes to MPC Ural where Mick was busy at work in his new premises....still on the same farm estate where he used to be,but in different and better arranged units...along with his working assistant Eddie.

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010362Medium.jpg

Mick and I have quite a rapport,and I always counter his somewhat 'caustic' wit and character with equal levels of abuse and sarcasm.....all in good nature,you understand.
He is always designing and creating projects which make a standard Ural combo appear to be a very conservative and sensible form of transport.
He is responsible for the detatchable sidecar boat (with outboard motor) and the 'Ural Camper' sidecar boat outfit with teardrop caravan that has been at many shows.

Here`s his latest zany project....a rather large and capacious sidecar.
Can you count the number of seats ??
It should be somewhat 'interesting' trying to stop that with a Ural`s brakes when fully loaded !

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010364Medium.jpg

A previous customer of Mick`s and a shared friend turned up for a social visit while I was there.
This was Arnie who was on his latest acquistion.
A BMW R1200 Montauk converted into a trike.
Notice the 'rebel without a walking stick' cut-down Disabled Badge?

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010365Medium.jpg

Much banter and coffee drinking took place....and eventually my rear tyre was replaced with a new Heidenau K37.
A tyre which was a bit hardcore knobbly for Dee who mostly does 'nice trips' and perhaps a bit more apt for my 650 Skaya who does all the 'rough' rallies and winter riding....but the taller rolling circuferance would make this choice a tad interesting.
It would actually raise the gearing by a measurable factor.
Mick had calculated the differences in rolling circumferences of the common choices of 19" tyres we use on the Urals and the Heidenau over a 1,000 miles would travel 12 miles less !!
A worn out Heidenau was still taller than a brand new Mitas.... which I was originally using.... so I was keen to try it out.

Late afternoon and it was time to leave....but first,one more photo.

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010363Medium.jpg

Right then...it`s a three hour run on clear roads from MPC to Chateau Tarka,and I was getting a bit tired now.
One advantage of leaving lateish was that all the rush hour traffic would have taken place ahead of me and I was sure to get a fairly good ride home.

There`s three or four choices of route from MPC to mine,and they`re all about the same distance....I`ve done them all over the years so I chose the fairly easy and quite pleasant old Roman Road (Watling Street) of the A5.
This goes through Hinckley and on towards Tamworth where I`d take the A51 through Rugeley,past Stafford and onwards to Stone.
From Stone the A51 would continue across country to Nantwhich and the oh so familiar section to Chester.
Then from Chester a final 15 miles to Chateau Tarka on the Wirral.

The ride home was as easy as typing it or reading it......almost devoid of traffic and very enjoyable.
As I said earlier,I`d not had any of Peter`s feelings of 'over revving' while riding Dee,but with the new Heidenau rear tyre she did seem ever so slightly more relaxed and calmer at speed.
Hmm....very interesting.

The sun which I`d watched rising at breakfast time in Harwich was now starting to set behind the houses opposite when I arrived home.
Dee sat ticking and pinging as the birds in the trees twittered away while I took one more 'Odometer Shot'.

Wee-Kend2010001Medium.jpg

I`m no mathematician but I think that was 2622 kilometres of hugely enjoyable Continental Uralling.

Would I do a similar trip again?

Absolutely.

Can`t wait until I do,in fact.

Whilst unloading the sidecar,my 'secret travelling friend' came into view.

He summed up the fun and adventure of the trip quite well,I reckon.....

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010116Medium.jpg

(To Be Continued )

Yes....One last bit awaits......Some enlightenment on our Ural speed differences !

Be Patient !!

Thank you,Stewart !

And thanks again to everyone who has posted their compliments on my Ride Report.
It`s taken quite a lot of time to sort the photos,compile the text and get it all posted up..but I`ve enjoyed sharing it,and it`s been great to see so many others enjoying my efforts.
Cheers!

......................................................................................

So.....Finally....It`s Enlightenment Time !!!

Time to find out why there was such a difference in comfortable cruising speeds between two 750 Ural combos and why Peter made such an issue of the feeling of 'over revving' his bike.

Naturally,two different people may well feel more comfortable at different speeds from each other.
I for instance no longer enjoy.....or even travel at..... 'Motorway Speeds' of 70mph or more even on bikes which can do it.
I mostly avoid motorways where practical and don`t like big Dual carriageways either.
We`re all different from each other.

So too,are the various types of bike different from each other.
Some have a naturally comfortable speed or rev range that may vary greatly from others.

But Peter and I were both on 750 Urals and something didn`t seem 'right' about the comfortable speed difference between Peter on his Ural compared to me on Dee.
He actually had the taller profile Heidenau tyre that I got fitted to Dee on the way home,so I was in fact worse off from a rolling circumference point of view.

The answer...and the enlightenment...came to me in an email off Peter a few days after our return home.

I`ve copied and pasted the main part of it.

"Hi Steve

How's it going? I feel my Ural horizons have been permanently enlarged after our trip. What about you?

I really felt that I had to pursue the gearing issue once back here. I had almost resolved to buy the higher top gear on the German website but decided to have a word with D Angel about gearing generally first. What he told me was interesting. Up until 2001 or thereabouts Urals had a top gear of 1.3 ratio. About 2002 they changed this to 1.19 - ie a higher gear. You can find out which you have if your machine was built around then (as mine was) by turning the engine over a few times and counting the turns of your cush drive.

So that's what I did. And guess which I have? Yup, the lower one, 1.3. This explains a lot - especially why I felt that it was happier around the 45mph mark rather than the 50 or so that everyone else talks about.

I could of course fit the 1.19 cog - but decided to put in the solo's final drive first just to see the difference. I've just been out for a test ride. Revelation! Miles more oomph. Really perfectly happy up to 55mph and indeed beyond. The speedo reads about 15% under as you surmised that time we talked about it on the way back. But not only is the top gear miles better - so too are all the others! It pulls away much more positively in particular - you just don't get left behind so much.

So I'm well chuffed. Money is going to have to be spent however since I can't leave the solo's final drive in there. I'll either have to get a new crown wheel and pinion and rebuild that or bite the bullet and buy the whole final drive assembly "

So there you go....and now we all know !!!!!

Sounds like Peter is much happier and here`s to him and I embarking on another Ural Adventure before too long.
Hopefully at least to the Amicale`s Autumn rally in Brittany.

It just remains to thank Peter for letting me know about the event we went to,for his and Cally`s hospitality on the first night at their house,and for him being a good travelling companion.....and also for putting up with me on a daily basis for over a week !!

And finally...and once more...a huge THANK YOU to the French Ural and Dnepr Amicale for accepting us,hosting us and befriending us.

Merci Beaucoup to our new French friends.

TheWrongWayRoundMay2010259Medium.jpg

Even though THEIR sidecars on the WRONG WAY ROUND !!!!!

Thank you for reading and I hope you`ve enjoyed travelling with Peter and me via these pages.

Excellent report Tarka - thanks for taking the time to prepare it :thumb2

I really don't see the attraction of sidecars but that hasn't stopped me reading your report Tarka and thoroughly enjoying it. Thanks for your very entertaining work.

Perhaps when I retire and my time is my own travelling at 50-60mph for long periods will be more attractive.

Enjoyed that :clap. Nearly makes me want to ride outfits again after 30yrs :D.
I could be tempted.........................................

I used to make sidecar outfits, your post brought back some very happy memories :beerjug:

Like i said on my Oz Trip Report,

"i don't have Tarka's powers of description"
And this Epic proves the point. I don't think i've enjoyed a Ride Report as much i have this one. If i can Print it off,i'll keep it as a Book. :thumb2

Excellent report Tarka - thanks for taking the time to prepare it :thumb2

Cheers,Matt

It has taken up quite a lot of my time.
Fortunately most of it was while I was in work on nightshifts. :D ;)

Thanks also to Ghiribizzo and everyone else who has posted their compliments

Enjoyed that :clap. Nearly makes me want to ride outfits again after 30yrs :D.
I could be tempted.........................................

I used to make sidecar outfits, your post brought back some very happy memories :beerjug:

Thank you very much,Roadrider. :thumb2

Don`t try and resist ... give in to Mistress Temptation. :augie

Glad to bring back some happy memories for you. :beerjug:

"i don't have Tarka's powers of description"
And this Epic proves the point. I don't think i've enjoyed a Ride Report as much i have this one. If i can Print it off,i'll keep it as a Book. :thumb2

Hey Dee Tee

I`m flattered by your comments...thank you very much. :thumb2

If you do ever manage to make a book version of it,I`d love a copy please.
I`m hoping to try and do that to all my decent length Ride Reports,and especially my Ural ones.

Thanks again,mate. :beerjug:

whens the next jaunt - ural or not :D

This coming weekend as it happens. :D

The Hobgoblin Sidecar Club hosts its inaugural 'Engine and Pushchair Rally' in lovely rural Shropshire.

Report and photos to follow !

Superb! Great read Tarka. :thumb2

Thanks a lot,Yorkie. :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom