Thinking about going back to a boxer

notoriusb.e.n

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So after a long break away from BMW bikes I'm thinking about getting a GS. My triumph sprint is gonna get me into trouble one day and it's getting long in the tooth. Plus it's uncomfortable for the missus after an hour or so.

I've had 2 R1100s about ten years ago now and I really loved my first orange one, took it to Germany and everything but then the clutch went in mid Wales and I had the expensive rebuild job to pay for. I then got a shiny shiny white one with fancy suspension and aftermarket parts fitted but it turned out it has been thrashed and got electric issues and all sorts. So I said never again. Went back to Japanese. Then went to triumph. I had myself convinced I wanted a tiger. But it's missing something.

Other day I'd dropped the missus off at work and outside is parked a 2009 R1200GS TE. Very clean, shiny etc. Looked like it had hardly done owt. 120k on the clock. Owner takes it all over the world with his missus on the back and then it still looks like that. So I got to looking online and oh my goodness they've come down in price nowadays, I suppose they a lot older now and not in vogue as much as the newer models.

So, I shall be on the lookout for a 2007+ model with reasonable low miles that's had an easy life and all the farkles. Any buyers guide tips?

If I were you, I’d look for a 1200 twin cam. They came after the original 1200 hex-heads and a BMW trained tech in Austria told me that in his opinion it was the best of the 1200’s.

2010 onwards for the twin cam.

As above, the twin cam is the pinnacle of the old oil cooled motor and more than punchy enough for anyone who isn’t a nob jockey.

Earlier 1200 bikes often suffer from abs servo issues so best avoided (or removed). Clutch is still a single plate and an engine gearbox split is still a decently complicated job, but I’ve had several bikes at 45-50k and not a hint of clutch issue.

Any bike can let you down, my advice would be to buy the one that’s been looked after mechanically. It may have a few blemishes here and there, but a well maintained bike is better than a polished to feck machine.

Plenty of good owner serviced bikes out there that are probably better than some of the dealer serviced ones as yhe maintenance is done when needed, not when the service light says so.

Yellow ones are always faster and look better. Try a GSA if you want to do big tours, there’s something very stable about the big girl. The skinny one rides better, but the big one has comfort and offers better protection.

The twin cam feels much lighter than the earlier 1150.

Ok so I've got a budget of around 5k to look with. Not sure what that will get me but I'd hope I've got reasonable options at that, does seem to be a fair few around that price. Plus part ex on my triumph sprint st if I go that route I guess. I figure the best strategy is to wait for the right one not just grab the first one I see. I know mileage is less of a issue than condition but obviously lower is better than dropping to bits if it's extremely well used. I wouldn't mind a pre 2010 if it got me a better example condition wise for the money. I've got a bit of time off coming next month to spend a decent bit of time looking around properly.

2010 onwards for the twin cam.

As above, the twin cam is the pinnacle of the old oil cooled motor and more than punchy enough for anyone who isn’t a nob jockey.

Earlier 1200 bikes often suffer from abs servo issues so best avoided (or removed). Clutch is still a single plate and an engine gearbox split is still a decently complicated job, but I’ve had several bikes at 45-50k and not a hint of clutch issue.

Any bike can let you down, my advice would be to buy the one that’s been looked after mechanically. It may have a few blemishes here and there, but a well maintained bike is better than a polished to feck machine.

Plenty of good owner serviced bikes out there that are probably better than some of the dealer serviced ones as yhe maintenance is done when needed, not when the service light says so.

Yellow ones are always faster and look better. Try a GSA if you want to do big tours, there’s something very stable about the big girl. The skinny one rides better, but the big one has comfort and offers better protection.

The twin cam feels much lighter than the earlier 1150.
Yellow one? Exactly how much yellow are we talking about…?

Attachments

• IMG_5460.jpeg
    IMG_5460.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5228.jpeg
    IMG_5228.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 30
Ok so I've got a budget of around 5k to look with. Not sure what that will get me but I'd hope I've got reasonable options at that, does seem to be a fair few around that price. Plus part ex on my triumph sprint st if I go that route I guess. I figure the best strategy is to wait for the right one not just grab the first one I see. I know mileage is less of an issue than condition but obviously lower is better than dropping to bits if it's extremely well used. I wouldn't mind a pre 2010 if it got me a better example condition wise for the money. I've got a bit of time off coming next month to spend a decent bit of time looking around properly.
£5k plus your sprint will easily get you a 2010-2012 version.

As you like sports tourers, you will appreciate the extra 10hp ish you get on the 2010-2012 vs earlier models, not to mention they have various reliability issues sorted… doesn’t mean they are all perfect, but “on average” should be in a better place long term ownership wise.

I have a 2012 GSA and am very happy with it. As you said, take your time and as winter deepens, you as buyer will be in charge rather than early summer when it’s a sellers galore for our touring bikes.

Best of luck

The 1200 oil/air cooled bikes sold in huge numbers and despite being a big change visually from the earlier 1150’s and having more electronics, they have proven to be just as robust and reliable as the earlier bikes if not more so.

Some folk get huge mileages with just regular servicing. I traded in my last much-loved 2008 R1200GSA after ten years of ownership at 50,000 miles and I wager it will still be going happily at 100,000 miles+.

Keeping them regularly washed seems to be key to cosmetic care, with a dash of ACF50 or similar for good measure.

Good luck in finding a nice one within budget, there are plenty out there. There is also loads of advice here from owners if and when you need it.

I've missed a good one already, was going to look at one in Coventry but someone beat me to it. 2010 triple black with all the gubbins and decent mileage was very tidy.sure there'll be plenty more pop up. Meanwhile I'll keep lurking and reading the forum for inspiration.

I've missed a good one already, was going to look at one in Coventry but someone beat me to it. 2010 triple black with all the gubbins and decent mileage was very tidy.sure there'll be plenty more pop up. Meanwhile I'll keep lurking and reading the forum for inspiration.
I'd second the support for the Twin Cam having had a 2013 GSA for 5 years and did lots of two-up touring on it. Here's a thought - as you're coming from a Sprint I wonder if you'd thought of looking at a Twin Cam RT. I've had one of those for three years now (downsized from a PAN ST1300) and as an all-year-round option for two-up touring it's hard to beat. The same power plant as the GS and GSA but better protection along with heated seats and a really comfy ride. Mine has Sargent heated seats (came with it) and I bought it from a member on this site for £5k three years ago with 34k on the clock. You should certainly be able to find one with your budget.

Would it be acceptable if I post ads of ones I've looked at for feedback at all? Don't want to fall foul of any forum rules. There's two I've looked at, a 2013 in Aylesbury that I have a friend down there who could maybe check it over for me (but he's not really a GS fan so not sure how well a review I'll get), and another one closer to me in Derby that's quite older, a 2007 (and also being sold by a "superbikefactory" which I'm wary of) but really really low miles like 7K and has all the luggage. Only thing I'd be worried about is if that's still got original tyres if its only done those miles, and if its been stood mostly still for nearly 20 years what else is lurking - were they so afraid of the service costs they never dared use it? Seen a reasonable looking option in Blackpool - 2012 with 35K on it, well sorted got all the farkles and luggage but its got cheap nasty CST chinese tyres so I'd have to factor in replacement tyres or see if dealer would knock the cost off/stand to it (doubtful unless they really looking desperate to sell)

Also what mileage would you say no to. In my mind, I'm thinking 40K+ is too high but mid 30's is fine.

Also what mileage would you say no to. In my mind, I'm thinking 40K+ is too high but mid 30's is fine.
Don't know if Vern still has Donkey, his old R1100 GS but that was on about 350k almost 10 years ago when I moved away from up there.... just about run in then!

It's a 2003 Sprint St with 21k on the clock, green, full luggage bar risers new tyres just spent nearly a grand servicing and getting it MOT sorted. Which was mostly two tyres, a rear brake strip and rebuild, then a general service and MOT. Nothing scary and I have kept all service history. Flies through MOT each year as I barely use it now I'm a soft fair weather rider type.

Last edited:
Well there we go been and had a look today and I've put deposit down on a 60 plate with just under 20k on the clock, should be taking delivery end of this week coming.

Standard height saddle and being of average height was able to flat foot it. Girlfriend was able to get on the back without struggling. Nice and clean looks well cared for. Fingers crossed I got a good one and it treats me well if I do the same.

got my GS today, ooh its a fat beastie isn't it. Probably not as big as I think its just the upright soft and comfy riding position as opposed to the Sprint. its only about 5-10 Kg heavier as well just carries it differently. Definitely a different experience of power delivery feels less urgent - but I've barely ridden it 10 miles yet just took it to work for the afternoon and will get to use it properly at the weekend. came with a whole bunch of keys and things I need to work out what they are all for. Looks like I got a spare, and then this weird black plastic looking one as well and a little tag thingy, not sure what they are. Keeping them separate just in case and just using the single key on its own - I'm sure I've read something somewhere on here about not using certain keys near your ignition or something because of resetting something. Anyway I shall pay my dues and subscribe and have a nosy around and probably unintentionally irritate your more learned members by asking newbish questions. I do know how a search function works though, used to help run a bike forum years ago so i'm used to the way things work and all that.

Back
Top Bottom