Tour of Spain and PortugalJuly 2014

When you say Faro rallie you mean Faro international motorcycle concentration right?
Yes, the faro rally is held near the airport

As for the "Costa Vicentina", having done the faro rally for around the last 20yrs I`ve covered most of the southern coastal roads in the past, which is why I`m heading inland for a change.
I have Portuguese friends based in Sesimbra so I`m able to visit regularly, including recently for Carnival, there`s usually a gathering of local bikers on Sundays up at Cabo Espichel
In recent years I tend to find myself after the Faro rally up at Sao Martinho Do Porto prior to heading up to Chaves the weekend for the Rally there

Thanks for all the info you have supplied within this thread Peirre, very useful indeed, food for thought and lots of options for other rallies too.

Peirre, hers 2 small big changes you can do to your route.

The 1st is near Serra da Estrela you can see the "Aldeias de Xisto"

IMG_2782.JPG

770777.jpg

The 2nd is when near the "P" point head to Lamego then Peso da Regua then do the N-222 till the point "O"

Ok you know it well

And the Douro valley?
Alas the Douro valley and some of your other suggestions isn`t possible this year, its slightly the wrong direction this time, I have however mapped the Douro route out in Mapsource and saved it in my netbook just in case.
This is the route that I recommend always inside the Montesinho national park, beware that's a mountain road with lot of curves but with a good road.

10296019_10203085271646081_8868710506796817725_o.jpg
My original route should take me from Chaves to Vinhais, A Gudiña, Petín, Ponferrada, north to Vilablino, somlido, towards Oviedo, South east past the Embalse de Riano, then North east up the N621 to Potes
I have however taken the western section of your route above and incorporated it into an alternative plan B route option of a 2 day ride from Chaves to Potes. hopefully I`ll find somewhere to stay half way along the route.
Which may see me head north up the 103 from Braganca through the centre of the Montesinho park, up towards the A52, then east towards Benavente where I could probably look for a bed for the night before pushing onto Potes the next day. The eastern section of your route doesn`t seem to allow me to split the 330+ miles between Chaves & Potes evenly, without doubling back on myself, but taking a more leisurely ride, staying around Benavente would allow me to take it easy, leave plenty of time for lunch, flower pressing, photography and mess around with a couple of Gopro`s.

Alas the Douro valley and some of your other suggestions isn`t possible this year, its slightly the wrong direction this time, I have however mapped the Douro route out in Mapsource and saved it in my netbook just in case.

My original route should take me from Chaves to Vinhais, A Gudiña, Petín, Ponferrada, north to Vilablino, somlido, towards Oviedo, South east past the Embalse de Riano, then North east up the N621 to Potes
I have however taken the western section of your route above and incorporated it into an alternative plan B route option of a 2 day ride from Chaves to Potes. hopefully I`ll find somewhere to stay half way along the route.
Which may see me head north up the 103 from Braganca through the centre of the Montesinho park, up towards the A52, then east towards Benavente where I could probably look for a bed for the night before pushing onto Potes the next day. The eastern section of your route doesn`t seem to allow me to split the 330+ miles between Chaves & Potes evenly, without doubling back on myself, but taking a more leisurely ride, staying around Benavente would allow me to take it easy, leave plenty of time for lunch, flower pressing, photography and mess around with a couple of Gopro`s.

Well I'm not a good example cause many of my tours is about good food and I don't mind make one extra miles to get it!

And all the times that I'm on that region can't resist to this
1009386_10200819392880528_148815887_o.jpg

In the same area another good spot is this hotel:

www.spahotelalfandega.com

a great place to take some rest before you return home!

I've been there in Feb. it's on the top of a mountain very beautiful! take a look of the outside jacuzzi

775701_4963986830859_662580133_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom