Triumph 400

Depends how tall you are as to which one is best for you. I'd be okay with either but as my wife will also ride whatever I replace her current CB300R with it'll have to be the Street 400 - the seat height on the Scrambler would be too much
Both good looking bikes! Buy which ever you are comfortable with. I thought they both were very good bikes for the money.
My inside leg is 31 inches and I felt a bit cramped on the speed twin.

All that riding time, and none on faster roads. What's it like on a dual carriageway?? Dunno.

That's what I was thinking. I visited Triumph Chester on Saturday for a look see.
I found the Speed 400 was a bit small but the Scrambler was significantly bigger.
There's plenty of legroom with a nice broad seat and highish handlebars. It was
a comfy seating position indeed and very light to push round.
I'll book a test ride when the weather improves, to see what it's like at motorway
speeds. At 39.9 bhp and 179kgs I don't see why it should have a problem.

I'll book a test ride when the weather improves, to see what it's like at motorway
Thanks, I'd be really interested to know.

It's a 400, so it's not going to be a mile muncher, but I'd be keen to know whether at 80 it's still a comfortable ride, or whether it's a bit buzzy and feels near its limits.

Thanks, I'd be really interested to know.

It's a 400, so it's not going to be a mile muncher, but I'd be keen to know whether at 80 it's still a comfortable ride, or whether it's a bit buzzy and feels near its limits.
There are a lot of Indian reviews on u tube as the launch over there was late 23. Nearly all talk about the “insane torque “ at low speeds but prone to a buzzing vibration at motorway speeds.

With this in mind the bike sounds prime for a sprocket change maybe one on the gearbox or 2/3 down on the rear hub. This should enable the use of torque at low revs and push the vibration further up the speed range.

I live about five miles from Chester Triumph and also keep threatening to go for a test ride. Its just the weather has been so pants since the demos arrived.

That's what I was thinking. I visited Triumph Chester on Saturday for a look see.
I found the Speed 400 was a bit small but the Scrambler was significantly bigger.
There's plenty of legroom with a nice broad seat and highish handlebars. It was
a comfy seating position indeed and very light to push round.

I loved these, though I never thrashed one up & down motorways, they were very capable on A roads. Similar numbers, though marginally heavier.

I loved these, though I never thrashed one up & down motorways, they were very capable on A roads. Similar numbers, though marginally heavier.

I thought they were fantastic in the 70’s. So smooth, reliable and relatively quick compared to the British shite I was riding.
It is a multi cylinder bike not a single so would always feel smoother. Fuel economy is not so good as the Triumph and I doubt the brakes would be as good. The tyres definitely weren’t up to todays standard!

Had a test ride on the Speed 400 today and have to say, I'm very impressed. It is not a small bike despite the engine capacity and at 175 kg it's a doddle to trundle about in the car park/garage.

I was amazed at the willingness of the engine, great acceleration, nicely spaced 6-speed gearing (apart from 1st which seemed just there to get you off the line). Very tractable and plenty of torque. A bit buzzy over 70-ish although I don't think it's designed for motorways. Didn't want to be too brutal with the engine as the demo had only 200 miles on it but I guess it can only get better with mileage. Highly flickable on B roads and corners on rails, an absolute hoot. Suspenders seemed fine for my 14.5 stone and seat was comfy for my 6' 1" frame although I was only out for 45 minutes.

Brakes were pretty sharp and hauled her up PDQ from 60-ish. Instrumentation clear with a big analogue speedo although the digital tacho was a bit titchy. Finish overall was impressive, no idea how they managed that with a retail price of a fiver under 5 grand.

Only drawback is that the dealer is now taking orders for a May 2024 delivery, he says they're flying out the door.

Hmmmmm, this will require some thought (or maybe not) :D

Scrambler 400 test ride today - Brief review.
Enough room on the bike with a good distance between seat and footpegs, I have a 31" inside leg.
However, after an hours riding I had back ache, I put this down to the forward tilting seat. I've had
this problem with seats on other bikes and may be just me.
On start up the bike took off well with enough oomph to surprise me for a 400. Ist gear was a bit
irrelivant as it was time to change up within a matter of yards, therefore I ended up starting off from
second with no problems at all. The acceleration was perky all the way up to motorway speeds.
On A/B roads overtakes where easily done, for example from 45mph in 5th with relative ease.
6th gear was best deployed after 50mph and on the motorway.
When on the motorway in top it easily did 70mph with more to go, and it did buzz a little but not
enough to cause much discomfort.
Brakes - good.
Bike - Very light to push around.
Handling - Quick to change direction. I didn't fancy leaning it too far because of greasy roads.

Conclusion - I'd have bought this bike but couldn't because of my comfort issue. However, it's
a brilliant lightweight motorcycle for little money with low running costs.10,000 mile service
intervals and 80 mpg.

Had a test ride on the Speed 400 today and have to say, I'm very impressed. It is not a small bike despite the engine capacity and at 175 kg it's a doddle to trundle about in the car park/garage.

I was amazed at the willingness of the engine, great acceleration, nicely spaced 6-speed gearing (apart from 1st which seemed just there to get you off the line). Very tractable and plenty of torque. A bit buzzy over 70-ish although I don't think it's designed for motorways. Didn't want to be too brutal with the engine as the demo had only 200 miles on it but I guess it can only get better with mileage. Highly flickable on B roads and corners on rails, an absolute hoot. Suspenders seemed fine for my 14.5 stone and seat was comfy for my 6' 1" frame although I was only out for 45 minutes.

Brakes were pretty sharp and hauled her up PDQ from 60-ish. Instrumentation clear with a big analogue speedo although the digital tacho was a bit titchy. Finish overall was impressive, no idea how they managed that with a retail price of a fiver under 5 grand.

Only drawback is that the dealer is now taking orders for a May 2024 delivery, he says they're flying out the door.

Hmmmmm, this will require some thought (or maybe not) :D
In terms of performance, was it faster or slower than the BSA?

Thanks for taking the time to share the test ride experience lads. I can see one of these in my future when my F700 gets too heavy to man handle

Way quicker than the BSA. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Gold Star and had a lot of fun pootling around the back roads but that's what it's for. The little Triumph is amazing, most impressed with the motor and the bike in general - it's certainly not in the pootling class :D

So much so, I've revisited the dealer today and chopped in the Goldie for a blue Speed 400 - arriving late April

Way quicker than the BSA. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Gold Star and had a lot of fun pootling around the back roads but that's what it's for. The little Triumph is amazing, most impressed with the motor and the bike in general - it's certainly not in the pootling class :D

So much so, I've revisited the dealer today and chopped in the Goldie for a blue Speed 400 - arriving late April

I test rode the Scrambler 400 today which shares the same motor as the Speed 400.
By the sound of what you say, the Speed 400 is much the quicker of the two. Perhaps
the clue is in the name.😊

Picked mine up last week, cancelled order so only a short wait. Nice bike gets better with more miles, definitely a B road bike, suspension not good enough for anything tougher than a gravel road. Comfy no back issues, did 300 miles over the weekend, went to a good bike night at Idle Torque near Lutterworth. Having to wait 2 months for the first service though. No accessories available from Triumph either yet, need the aftermarket guys to step up.
IMG_0970.jpeg

A 2 month wait for the first service? :blast

Which dealer is this?
I bought a new Tiger Sport in January. The first service is due at 600 miles or 6 months. The dealer said give us plenty of notice as the workshop is very busy in Springtime. Said they would like 6-8 weeks notice for basically an oil change and check over!
Triumph East Birmingham ( in Tamworth)

Back
Top Bottom