Up graded V85

I really like these, if I hadn’t have bought a Tracer 9 GT+ I would be placing my order now. Yes, I know they are chalk and cheese, but like the man says, “everyone secretly wants a Guzzi”.

I really like these, if I hadn’t have bought a Tracer 9 GT+ I would be placing my order now. Yes, I know they are chalk and cheese, but like the man says, “everyone secretly wants a Guzzi”.
They can be quite addictive. They have a certain 'quirkiness' about them that just grows the more you ride them.

If I didn't have my GS I'd have one of these. I absolutely love how they look, quirky and build quality looks fantastic. Plus a huge pro for me is the shaft drive... I just can't be arsed with maintaining a chain in the Scottish climate. Is it enough power though coming from a GS? I'm scared to get a test ride just incase!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

If I didn't have my GS I'd have one of these. I absolutely love how they look, quirky and build quality looks fantastic. Plus a huge pro for me is the shaft drive... I just can't be arsed with maintaining a chain in the Scottish climate. Is it enough power though coming from a GS? I'm scared to get a test ride just incase!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
I wouldn't get hung up on the horse power thing. The V85tt has enough to get you banned. I regularly ride with a friend who has a Kawasaki Ninja 1000, and keep up no problems on the A and B roads. If we were to do a traffic light drag, sure he'd be quicker, and on long straight definitely, but I'm not into razzing about at daft speeds these days. The Guzzi is great for laid back touring and getting into the rough bumpy back roads, it doesn't encourage me to push the limits like I used to, which is just as well as my reactions are slower, and my concentration not up to it either.
Sometimes less is more.

I watched a vid on the new Stelvio the other day where the reviewer concluded that he rather have a V85

FWIW I happened upon this post on another forum and I can relate to it.

The V85 is simply the nicest bike to live with on a daily basis that I have ever experienced. It's incredibly comfortable, with suspension that soaks up all the bumps, but never feels sloppy. It handles amazingly well, and I'm able to carry enough momentum through corners that I have no trouble keeping up with (or leaving behind) "faster" bikes on interesting roads. Power is sufficient, and the bike gets much stronger as it breaks in over time. I can add or subtract the aluminum cases as needed for the task at hand, frequently riding it like a big naked bike around town, and quickly transforming it into an errand-bike or full-blown tourer, when needed. It has just enough technology for my tastes without going overboard, and every feature that I feel I need to get along, day-to-day. Alternator output is sufficient to supply my gadgets and heated gear. Maintenance is exceedingly simple, and cheap with the small oil capacity. It's relatively light for an ADV bike, and low enough that I can manage it easily even with my short 29" inseam. Controls are incredibly light, with a clutch-pull that could bring a tear (of joy) to the eye of anyone with arthritis in their hands. I've simply never experienced anything that works this well for such a broad scope of activities, and it's a bargain! It's a masterpiece, and as close to perfect as I could hope for. That's why I sold my V100 Mandello (which was a great bike) and went back to a V85.

FWIW I happened upon this post on another forum and I can relate to it.

The V85 is simply the nicest bike to live with on a daily basis that I have ever experienced. It's incredibly comfortable, with suspension that soaks up all the bumps, but never feels sloppy. It handles amazingly well, and I'm able to carry enough momentum through corners that I have no trouble keeping up with (or leaving behind) "faster" bikes on interesting roads. Power is sufficient, and the bike gets much stronger as it breaks in over time. I can add or subtract the aluminum cases as needed for the task at hand, frequently riding it like a big naked bike around town, and quickly transforming it into an errand-bike or full-blown tourer, when needed. It has just enough technology for my tastes without going overboard, and every feature that I feel I need to get along, day-to-day. Alternator output is sufficient to supply my gadgets and heated gear. Maintenance is exceedingly simple, and cheap with the small oil capacity. It's relatively light for an ADV bike, and low enough that I can manage it easily even with my short 29" inseam. Controls are incredibly light, with a clutch-pull that could bring a tear (of joy) to the eye of anyone with arthritis in their hands. I've simply never experienced anything that works this well for such a broad scope of activities, and it's a bargain! It's a masterpiece, and as close to perfect as I could hope for. That's why I sold my V100 Mandello (which was a great bike) and went back to a V85.
Well said Clifton, 100% agree with both you and Al in his post, could be an age and experience thing as well, it is for me....its just so 🤔......right , from comfort, its looks, power, not over techy but just enough, its a joy....

..... could be an age and experience thing as well, it is for me....its just so 🤔......right , from comfort, its looks, power, not over techy but just enough, its a joy....
Same here, Jazbee. I can recall 44 years ago moving up to an R100 which put maybe 55-60 hp to the wheel and weighed 500 pounds, and thinking why would I ever need more power than this bike has? As a solo rider I still feel that way.
As I mentioned I like the V85TT so much I was seriously considering picking up one of the 2023's that Cadre is selling, for a spare. I went so far as to measure where a TV (that I never watch) sits in my living room to see if a V85 could fit there. It won't, the bike is too large for my small room. I could probably fit it in the shop......

Great bikes to ride. Great bikes to look at.

Not great if you need parts though. The waiting time is often in weeks or even months. And their reliabilty has fallen short recently. I help to look after a fleet of them. I'm not overly impressed at their abilty as a workhorse. But I'm sure they just fine for a luxury play thing. Which lets be honest, is what they are. Italicana...

I've heard that mentioned about the wait for parts and in fact am experiencing it myself awaiting the centre stand and tall seat for the Stelvio. If I were running a rental fleet of mid size bikes I'd probably use T7's or something else Japanese. But I'm not so I sold the T7 and kept the V85.

Back
Top Bottom