Urban GS

Loads of miles on my Urban. Owned it since new in 2018. Toured around Ireland with camping kit. All good.
I'll never, every sell it 🙂

Blimey! That question brought out some stiff coments. I'm happy to say that I'm truly delighted with my Urban, bought second hand recently. It's a 2022 model with just 2500 miles on. I should qualify my opinion by adding that I was one of the few people in the UK who owned and loved an R1150R Rockster. I had that for 13 years and, as soon as I sold it I regretted it. I then spent the next six years or so flitting from bike to bike in the hope of replicating my affair with the Rockster - always without success. So, when I saw the Urban for sale, I had to test ride it. It was so much like the Rockster [but modernised] that I felt an instant affinity with it. I'm a shortarse but can flat-foot the Urban [which I couldn't do with the Yamaha Tracer 700 I had last - which is odd, as the Urban specs say the seat height is 15mm higher than the Yam]. I weigh in at 80kgs and find the stock seat comfortable for a couple of hours. I toured the Rockster but only to Belgium and Northern France [WW1 stuff], so I can't see any reason not to tour the Urban. If I had a magic wand, I'd bring the bars back towards me and I'd lower the footpegs but those will have to wait until the bank balance recovers from the purchase [and my wife gets over the spend too]. I'd also like to add a hugger to protect the rear spring but I've read on here that BMW might refuse warranty claims if an after-market hugger is fitted, so that might have to wait until the bike is out of warranty.

Anyway, in short, I'm very pleased to have found the Urban and bought it. Being an old git, it might turn out to be the last bike I own.

I did the Malle Rally (Land’s End - John O’Groats, over a week) on a Turban. Seat diabolically uncomfortable for a trip that long. Suspension poor if pushed on less than good road surfaces.

Wunderlich AktivKomfort seat cured the arse problem.

I‘ve been trying to decide whether to sell the bike or upgrade the suspension. I’ve opted to upgrade because there’s so much to love about the bike.

It‘s currently with Denzo of this parish having its new suspenders fitted…

Mine is booked in to MCT suspension for a re valve and Nitron R1 shock. It’s already fitted with an M-Shock so I’ll be selling that. The M- Shock is really good but I want it set up from scratch by an expert

Wunderlich Komfort seat is fitted already and recommended

Mine is booked in to MCT suspension for a re valve and Nitron R1 shock. It’s already fitted with an M-Shock so I’ll be selling that. The M- Shock is really good but I want it set up from scratch by an expert

Wunderlich Komfort seat is fitted already and recommended

Any pic of the seat ?

I did the Malle Rally (Land’s End - John O’Groats, over a week) on a Turban. Seat diabolically uncomfortable for a trip that long. Suspension poor if pushed on less than good road surfaces.

Wunderlich AktivKomfort seat cured the arse problem.

I‘ve been trying to decide whether to sell the bike or upgrade the suspension. I’ve opted to upgrade because there’s so much to love about the bike.

It‘s currently with Denzo of this parish having its new suspenders fitted…
Back from Denzo with Nitron front and Tractive rear. +40mm ride height too. Only done a few urban miles (no pun intended) but so far positive. Looks better with the height and seems to have stopped shaking my fillings out…

Plenty to think about and I didn't want to start any arguments , I'm torn between the Urban and the 1200 Triumph scrambler tbh , I don't do mega miles but i do the odd 400 mile day trips and weeks away in Scotland but i think even the most uncomfortable of bikes i would manage a few hundred miles on before it pissed me off , The weak points on the urban for me are the rear bevel gear and if the clutch needs replaced because of that stupid £2 oil seal in there that costs £800 to repair , just need some reassurance that a decent low mileage :should: give no trouble, i assume the engine is the last of the older aircooled type,

thanks for all your feedback much appreciated
Don't do it Spen...

I owned an Urban for around 3 years and loved it, yes the rear suspension is crap but i swapped my rear shock out for a Wilbers unit - transformed the bike. I'm 5'11" and put bar risers on, lowered footpegs and the higher Wunderlich seat. It was then perfect for me. We all come in different shapes and sizes and bikes are all the same so one size doesn't fit all. I doubt there are many on here who haven't made some changes to their bike to indvidualise or make them more comfy.
I took a Triumph Scrambler 1200 out and whilst it was ok, the lack of power compared to the Urban was obvious and i really didn't like it, there is no comparison from a power delivery perspective...

Great bikes.

The best parts bin bike ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom