USB socket output.

stu1969

Reaction score
Ok, I've go myself a CHEEP hd camera which I want to be able to charge while not being used and when the weather drys up to power it while videoing.

I've read much in here about installing USB sockets and the advice is often to get a socket that provides 2amps.

Now my question. The wall charger for the camera has a sticker which says "output 5v 600mA" separated by two lines one on top of the other a solid line above dotted line below. I assume these figures mean 2amps is likely to cook the cameras battery?

Regards Stuart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nope, unless it's really cheap and nasty it will be supplying 5v at unto 2.1a. If the device only needs 600ma it'll only draw it.

Some power supplies are unregulated and need a load on them to bring them down to the declared voltage, but in a usb case it should be fine. measure it with no load to be sure first time.

Hi Stuart,

The device will draw the amount of current that it needs, so no it won't blow up. The issue is usually not having enough current from the charger. If you think about dometic voltage you can plug in a night light, or connect a 10kW shower to the same 240V supply. As an example, an iPad requires a charger which is capable of supplying 2.1 Amps at a voltage of no less than 4.97V but you can still plug an iPhone into an iPad charger it just charges a bit more quickly. I'd recommend the USB cable supplied by Nippy Norman but there are several good option out there. A search on this site will sort you out.

http://www.nippynormans.com/product...ockets/item/universal-usb-socket-kit-bas-usb2

Regards,

John

You need 2A to charge an iPad but not sure what else requires that to charge?
1A is fine for phones

nope, unless it's really cheap and nasty it will be supplying 5v at unto 2.1a. If the device only needs 600ma it'll only draw it.

Some power supplies are unregulated and need a load on them to bring them down to the declared voltage, but in a usb case it should be fine. measure it with no load to be sure first time.

Oh I see, I didn't realise that's how these electrickery devices work.

Thank you :D

Hi Stuart,

The device will draw the amount of current that it needs, so no it won't blow up. The issue is usually not having enough current from the charger. If you think about dometic voltage you can plug in a night light, or connect a 10kW shower to the same 240V supply. As an example, an iPad requires a charger which is capable of supplying 2.1 Amps at a voltage of no less than 4.97V but you can still plug an iPhone into an iPad charger it just charges a bit more quickly. I'd recommend the USB cable supplied by Nippy Norman but there are several good option out there. A search on this site will sort you out.

http://www.nippynormans.com/product...ockets/item/universal-usb-socket-kit-bas-usb2

Regards,

John

Thank you that man :D

Back
Top Bottom