User feedback on the ‘navigation’ bit of the app

paul08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am a satisfied/happy user of MRA for Route planning. However, or should that be a ‘but’?, I recently tried to use the MRA app on my phone on a recent trip in France. And the user experience was terrible.

i was running MRA Next on my iPhone XR and had it linked to the satnav in my BMW car with Apple CarPlay. In no particular order, these are some of the issues that I experienced:

a) The voice navigation instructions were barely audible, and I could find no way to turn up the volume.

b) The last few seconds of any navigation instruction were cut off, such as “at the roundabout take the…….”

c) When a navigation instruction was received, it did not mute the music/media playing. Rather, it just cut it off and I was forced to re select the media source etc to hear my music again.

d) on a couple of occasions I was forced to restart the navigation of my route a number of waypoints into the route. Initially, MRA would try to navigate me back to the start of the route. I then tried opening the route and, before starting the navigation, I found the next waypoint on my route and selected it my holding my fingertip on the waypoint on the screen. Initially, this seemed to do the trick. No! As soon as MRA got me to the chosen waypoint, in then tried to Route me all the way back to the start waypoint!

e) Using MRA via CarPlay ate my battery at an alarming rate. I tried switching my phone to ‘Low power mode’ but that made no discernible difference. Indeed, the power usage of MRA/CarPlay was such that the wireless charging pad in my car could not keep up with the power usage.

i have given MRA this feedback via the Test Flight link, but after a week, have still to receive a reply!

So, will I be using the Navigation bit of the app again? No, not until they address these issues to my satisfaction

I recently used it on my iPhone 14 Pro Max for a 9 day trip to France (on the bike). I must admit I didn't have voice prompts on so I can't really comment on points A/B/C but I did encounter point D, but in my case once I selected the waypoint to go to next, it always continued fine without trying to go back to Waypoint 1, so sadly I have no theory on that one :(

I also experienced the power drain issue, although mine wasn't on CarPlay it was just on a QuadLock mount with the wireless charging head, but like you the wireless charger couldn't keep up with the battery drain, although in my case Low Power Mode actually DID sort the issue and my phone ended most days at above 80%, I also raised this and have been told it's a "known issue".

If Low Power Mode hadn't fixed the drain for me I would definitely not be using it again until it's fixed, I can only assume maybe as my phone is newer perhaps Low Power Mode is more aggressive but who knows. They haven't released a newer version since I got back from my trip so I'll be making sure I have my Zumo XT with me as well.

The battery drain issue has been identified as being due to the HERE map software component (SDK). It also affects the beta version of Scenic, which also uses the better HERE SDK.

HERE have told MRA that they’re aware of it and will resolve it in the next 2-3 months. MRA have posted a statement about it in the forum.

I tried it once on my iPhone and the map wouldn't scroll independently of the cursor despite tapping the Location button and it changing colour.

TBF the OS map app is just the same. Other apps are fine.

My findings as regards, a thro’ d, match with peejay1977’s.

Like him, I run the MyRoute app in parallel to my XT, reserving MyRoute itself mostly for its very good route creation.

Had a response from MyRouteApp. Basically, they are all known issues. No mitigation or timeline offrted

Disappointed

Back
Top Bottom