VENTOUX !! A cyclists challenge!!

It’s not one of those shonky kite jobs, got carpets, radio, ‘n everything!

27b70d205703e43e67d3c9c9665ac0e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ah ... not quite so mad then !

Ha ha ... Remember the famous picture of Diana in that see through skirt? Our lady ('Amy') met us in something similar. 'Follow me' she said as she led us to the apartment. Bloody hell ..... for a woman in her 60's at a guess she was stunning .... :D

Pah. Holiday romance :D:D

I have a serious crush on her

Brilliant achievement. Did you manage to hit the right lines to maximise your view, whilst maintaining a safe distance stop on your side of the road! nice write up

Top effort, I remember hooning up there on my GSA last year. It felt like a race track.

You've inspired me to do this on my lightweight push bike, it's so mahoosive I can't wait.

Well done. Bet you was glad of those new tyres on the descents. Have you ever had brake fade with those small discs?

Well done. Bet you was glad of those new tyres on the descents. Have you ever had brake fade with those small discs?

I haven't had brake fade, but I was very conscious of having a really bad accident down to a brake mishap of some sort, so I did check the pads before I left and was very conscious to not drag my brakes too much, but instead brake hard ... once ... off .... turn .....

I have in the past had a real moment on a mountain bike (on a road) where the front brake pads have failed (I guess the bonding holding the pad to the backing plate has got too hot?). I now look back and laugh at what was a last of the summer wine comedy moment but at the time .... :eek: .. brakes fell out the calliper, I shot out of a steep descending side road, straight over a main road and into a field! If there had been a car coming id have been toast ...

I always build my mountain bikes with big discs after having brake fade on a lightweight xc mountain bike built with small discs.

I think that Ventoux is a strange place which seems to have been plucked from somewhere in deepest Africa. Hard to imagine how Tommy Simpson must have felt.

Chapeau!

brilliant read and an astounding feat .... all that prep' certainly paid off... Not a thing to attempt 'on the spur of a moment'
Sausages, pasta, porridge, bananas and gel ... what a combination..

I have the Mavic Tubeless 25mm tyres on Ksyrium wheels and they literally push on with your fingers and blow up no problem.

I read reports of lack of grip, but have encountered no such problems personally. Watching the boys descend at over 50mph would give a bigger buzz than riding any motorbike at any speed.

I also have the Shimano hydro brakes which have excellent stopping power and modulation. The discs are thin stainless laminated onto alooominum with wavy cooling fins that keep everything cool.

Another great feature popping up on bikes now is the bolt thru axles (replacing the quick release skewers) making everything stiff & flex free when giving it some up or down the hills.

Massive commitment and achievement by Giles and his friends, and inspiring stuff indeed. :cool:

Well done to you all,
I am planning on doing it next year but not sure to go early season or late.
Which turbo trainer AND head unit have you got ?

Mike

Well done to you all,
I am planning on doing it next year but not sure to go early season or late.
Which turbo trainer AND head unit have you got ?

Mike

I have a wahoo kickr. That links (ant+) to my lap top and I subscribe to the Sufferfest. Its very clever - leave the chain in a straight line and the sufferfest talks to the Kickr and alters the resistance. All you have to do is meet the cadence they ask of you. Workouts range from race simulations to climbing to speed to endurance ..... etc.

Head unit is a wahoo elemnt. Set the pages up how you want. Lap button is invaluable for average watts on each climb ... :thumb2

well done Giles. Good prep, report etc
This had been on my "possible" list, but seeing as how I is 10 years older then perhaps it will be on the GS next year.

well done Giles. Good prep, report etc
This had been on my "possible" list, but seeing as how I is 10 years older then perhaps it will be on the GS next year.

Ha ha ... hey ... you could do one of the climbs ... !

My wife did it in May 2017. She started at 7.30am and finished 7.25pm. She did Malucen-Bedoin-Sault-Malucen. She thought that the Bedoin descent was the most picturesque with the gnarly trees.

She is very proud of her Carnet and finishers jersey (only sold to bone-fide finishers).

hats off
All done "Painagua "I assume;)
Was talking to an English group who had just completed this effort when I was there, brutally hot that day.
I remember stopping at the Tom Simpson memorial thinking just how close he was to the top and aso just how steep those last few haipins are.
Would you say the direction from Sault was the most difficult ?
You dont have to stop at the memorial but I think a lot of people throw thier Bidons in that direction as they pass as some kind of show of respect

Great stuff

Back
Top Bottom