Voie De La Liberté 1944

Swell

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’d like to share a solo trip I took along the above route in March this year. Sorry it’s taken so long to post but, I didn’t think to post it at the time. My wife was away on on a course for 4 days so I thought I’d use the opportunity to get out on the bike for a few days and enjoy long rides again with little interference from excess traffic and dull surrounding. In hindsight, early March wasn’t the best time to head out as it was a bit cold and my old sleeping bag wasn’t up to it. However, I’m no stranger to poor weather conditions and just wore more clothes to bed.

The trip started with a ride from West London area to Portsmouth and the overnight ferry to Caen. I managed to bag a ‘Commodore’ cabin by luck rather than design and had a great crossing.
On arrival it was still dark so took the Opportunity to do a 30min map recce in Ouistreham square whilst the light Improved. I then set off in a generally southerly direction following the route the Allies took on their way to Germany in 1944. The route is, in most parts, posted with markers (I believe the French call them Balise).

I headed for Falaise which, was a pivotal battle in the story of the liberation and although it got hammered during that time, it’s in surprisingly good nick with a market on a Saturday. I should point out at this point, I switched to the BMW Nav 6 using its great ‘Curvy Roads’ option and it didn’t disappoint. It took me off the beaten track but, still followed the liberation route as the Allies advanced on a wide-ish front.

From Falaise I headed to Le Bouillon and stopped for a well earned cup of tea. Imagining the Tommies brewing up in their tin helmets and Benghazi burners, I made do with my Trangia.
I then started a long ride through forests on beautifully peaceful roads to my first halt for the night on Lac D’Orient. This is paradise for twitchers as it’s rammed with all manner of water loving birds. There’s a campsite not far from the lake’s edge but, it was far too cold to think of taking a dip.

The next morning, saw me away at first light on my way towards Luxembourg, there isn’t a huge amount to see here but, the roads in and out were magical, with steep sided valleys and tree lined roads. The plan was to head to Cochem on the Mosel via Bitburg in the Eiffel region. This part of the trip was amazing. Being a Sunday, the roads were empty and the Nav 6 took me into the middle of nowhere. I don’t think I saw more than 10 cars all day. The last part of the journey to Cochem took me along the Mosel and the roads are littered with drawings of motorbikes at ridiculous lean angles advertising accommodation for bikers, I had a feeling I’d be welcome in Cochem. Once I’d found a campsite, I headed out in search of food and a beer and once sustained I got some rest.
In the morning I looked at the map and realised I wasn’t that far from Wunderlich HQ so thought, why not. I wasn’t disappointed, they gave me hot coffee and I bought a larger foot print thing for my side stand (a bit late, I could have done with it at the campsites as the ground was damp).
I then high tailed it back to Calais and the tunnel.

It was a great trip and I’ll definitely go again but, maybe I’ll leave it until Apr/May next time, when it’s a little warmer.
If anyone has any questions, drop me a line.

Sent from my iPadIMG_2182.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2185.jpeg
    IMG_2185.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2186.jpeg
    IMG_2186.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2187.jpeg
    IMG_2187.jpeg
    358.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2189.jpeg
    IMG_2189.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2194.jpeg
    IMG_2194.jpeg
    282.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2197.jpeg
    IMG_2197.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Nice interesting route.:thumb2

I agree Falaise is remarkably smart for a place that took a hammering. It doesn't strike me as a town that's been rebuilt.
I ate here because my hotel was fine dining with prices to match.

IMG_20190604_195635568.jpg

I stayed at the Hotel De La Poste on a B & B deal. Would return there purely for the croissants at breakfast which
are freshly baked adjacent to the breakfast room.:droolI indeed 'borrowed' a couple for the road. :)

The hotel restaurant was a bit ott for my needs so had a walk into town and ate at the above cafe.
IMG_20190605_091818303.jpg

Back
Top Bottom